Flight sim nirvana...XP11 VR...

BeachAV8R

Honestly..I feel like I've reached flight sim nirvana with XP11 VR. It is like completely rediscovering simming. I mean, I have dozens of planes and helicopters I just want to go fly because of this. Tonight, I got hung up on just two. With the caveat that not all things are working in the cockpits..but just getting the engines running and _flying_ is so, so good. I just can't stop going "whoa.."...

The JRollon T-34C..a pretty old plane..but it looks fantastic in VR. Lots of smudges, scratches, and dirt on the canopy..and the whirling prop arc out front makes it really feel like a beast. And you can even slide into the rear cockpit. I tooled around the Mt. Hood area. Despite the high tree density, my FPS was fantastic. A hiccup or two here when loading new areas..but for the most part just fluid flying around some gorgeous scenery.

X-0128

X-0129

X-0130

X-0131

So I did some rolls, a loop, then flew along inverted for a while...and darned if my engine didn't quit. I was at about 11,000'...and it was a flurry of hoping stuff would work. Condition lever to cut-off, prop forward, starter engage, hope for 12% or so, condition lever forward...a bit of a warmish start..but we are flying again.. Just insanely fun..

X-0134

Picked out a little dirt strip to land at...

X-0132

X-0133

Did some more flying...I tried Boeing Field, and that had too many objects. I stuck with it..and just didn't move my head for about ten seconds and everything loaded..if I moved my head to fast, objects would have to load and I'd get judder. But after taking off..and as more and more objects faded away behind me..things settled out. Not the best feeling for someone that might be prone to VR sickness..but it didn't bother me. I still haven't tired that plug-in above that limits or dials back objects to maintain a minimum FPS.

X-0135

X-0137

X-0136

X-0138

With a little bit of VR compatibility tweaking (getting buttons and some knobs to work)..the T-34C could have a long X-Plane life ahead. Or at the minimum, some sort of mouse pointer will solve many of these problems...

Anyway..I'm just bouncing off the walls here with excitiment. Yeah..there are challenges ahead (clouds, FPS with weather, etc..)..but man it is fun stuff.

BeachAV8R

• Upvote 2