Wather Radar/Terrain Radar

Thanks Jan. I actually watched two tutorials on it. Explains it all :)  TBH, I haven't used that mode ever in my simulations (PMDG before).

Can you hint me how to use wxr so it shows returns? Tilt it down? How far? I have not seen tutorial on that yet.

Edited by st1322

Terrain radar is based on a database, the aircraft will display the terrain around you covering the selected display range you selected on the EFIS (pedestal) and also show min & max elevation within the covered area for your reference, they are also color coded, so when you are above max elevation numbers looks green, but if you are flying below mountain level you will see max in red so you know being at risk or no by the surrounding area.

Weather is based on echoes/blips. The radar antenna emits a pulse that cover +/-3 degree above/below the antenna level. So if you turn the weather radar to ON when aligned for takeoff you will see everything RED because you are getting echoes from the ground. For TO you need to set the TILT to +3 (so you cover from 0 to +6 degree). Use the knob, actual tilt setting is shown on the top right corner of the display

The Radar system engages by the switch just right side of the Capt's FMC labeled WX ON/OFF. There is also a tilt knob just there for weather.

To display terrain mode push TERRAIN button just below the FMC, you can adjust brighthness using the knob on the EFIS (pedestal)

To display weather mode push WXR button on the EFIS (pedestal)

note: if you have both modes engaged at the same time, TERRAIN takes precedence over the display.

There is a very nice one here made by IXEG.

note: the EPGWS system was improved during update cycles to have even more modes as per the real thing. You may also be interested on this

Edited by mmerelles
  • Upvote 1