Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SkyFly

Things that would add to the realism.

5 posts in this topic

Hello guys, i have a few things that i think would really add to the realism or would just be nice to have. before i begin... sorry my keyboard is horrible... so please excuse mistakes.:unsure:

Feel free to correct me if i´m wrong :)

1. remodeling of the yoke. the curvature of the top ends of the yokes somehow kills the feel of flying a boeing 737 a bit (at least for me).

2. Reverse lever connecting rods. IXEG: X-Plane 2018-01-12 20-55-12.bmp

(ZiBo like the real thing i think): X-Plane 2018-01-13 23-56-02.bmp

3. braking noise. I hear them on several addons and so far i can remember hearing them in real 737s as well.

4. Alt and Speed inv. buttons. (would make flying on AP easier sometimes. vor exaple when you fly an automated RNAV approach)

5. the AP disco button is on the wrong side at to copilots yoke. (nothing really bad, but if you have some time left, feel free to correct it.) :)

6. Make the gauge lightning look more like this:wub:: 737night.JPG

7. those AP levers some 737-CLs have instead of the buttons

8. click sound when you rock the throttles back to idle and a reverse lever deploying and closing click.

8. bitching betty callouts as i´ve heard them on some 737s and 727s

9. better flap acuator sounds. the sound really default. :(

10. i don´t know if that is even possible without complicated self made codes... Reverse stage gates. So maby half of the lever travel is idle and the rest is independenly adjustable or so... you get what i mean :P

11. less sensitiv ALT knob... it´s a pain in the a^^ to adjust it, as it is so sensetive (nope it´s not my mouse). I have to dial in something near the ALT i want, and then use my keyboard for the last 300 feet or so.:(

13. non-efis instruments... but i´m not gonna discuss this here as someone already added them to the wish list.

14. better flight dynamics... just joking:rolleyes:

15. paintkits for the wings and the cockpit.

16. yea.. guess i said everything ^_^ , but i also wanna mention that i really apprechiate your work and that the IXEG 737 is stil the #1 addon when it comes to flight dynamics and a lot of other things. So don´t get me wrong. still my #1 choice. :)

Edited by SkyFly
wasn´t done yet.

2 hours ago, SkyFly said:

1. remodeling of the yoke. the curvature of the top ends of the yokes somehow kills the feel of flying a boeing 737 a bit (at least for me).

Show a real picture, and the difference to it in sim.

2. Reverse lever connecting rods. IXEG: X-Plane 2018-01-12 20-55-12.bmp

(ZiBo like the real thing i think): X-Plane 2018-01-13 23-56-02.bmp

The 737-300 does not have the same system as the NG, thus as it's currently modeled it is accurate. No changes needed.

3. braking noise. I hear them on several addons and so far i can remember hearing them in real 737s as well.

Please provide video of a 737-300 in the cockpit with braking noises.

4. Alt and Speed inv. buttons. (would make flying on AP easier sometimes. vor exaple when you fly an automated RNAV approach)

@Litjan

6. Make the gauge lightning look more like this:wub:

Not likely. The lighting was set to be like a number of -300's we studied and interacted with in real life. There's bound to be variants as you've shown, but we like what we have very much.

7. those AP levers some 737-CLs have instead of the buttons

I have no idea what this means. We base ours off of a specific airline which allowed us a lot of access to their aircraft and sims.

8. click sound when you rock the throttles back to idle and a reverse lever deploying and closing click.

Please show a video of this sound for us to reference from real life.

9. better flap acuator sounds. the sound really default. :(

Please show a video of flap actuator sounds from the cockpit of a 737-300.

10. i don´t know if that is even possible without complicated self made codes... Reverse stage gates. So maby half of the lever travel is idle and the rest is independenly adjustable or so... you get what i mean :P

There are too many hardware throttles out there for this to be logistically feasible I would think.

11. less sensitiv ALT knob... it´s a pain in the a^^ to adjust it, as it is so sensetive (nope it´s not my mouse). I have to dial in something near the ALT i want, and then use my keyboard for the last 300 feet or so.:(

@Litjan

Thanks for replying :)

1. real one maxresdefault.jpg

ixeg: X-Plane 2018-01-14 10-08-40.bmp

look at the left an right top of the yoke, where the trim switches and the number dials are.  there is clearly a different shape in the sim.

2. rods are clearly vissible here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEuZrpxpiZM

here at 3:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-u2Awp-13o&t=9s

and here at 6:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5m1Nvz_pMQ

and here at 8:06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGV0cXiVkVg

according to your reply, all of them must be spechial ones and do not represent the 737 classic rev. levers in general. i highly doubt that is the case. :lol: ive seen a lot of 737-cl videos and ive seen them rods a bunch of times. never seen one single 737 in general without them. no matter which series.

3. at 34:45. i think that hum is the brake. can be something else as well. but this is exactly the sound brakes make on other addon aircraft (Fmod sounds for 737-800 and flyjsim 737). I´ve heard that hum on real 737s as well but never in videos. so i think this sound is verry hard to catch on video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hleAzSPPNWc&t=2084s

6. ive never seen gauge lightning like on the ixeg on real one photos. they always look like the photo. just wondering. maby i didn´t find the right ones.

7. these levers :) instead of buttons as an option.155284368.jpg

8. shortly after 1:12 you hear the throttles hit the stop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfgO_GCR9X0

he may be a little rough but you get what sound i mean ^_^. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEuZrpxpiZM

at 8:01 very quiet, but you can hear the throttles reach the stop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEuZrpxpiZ

9. nevermind :lol:

10. maby a code related to the ixeg throtles and not to the harware throttles. but as i said. brobably too much effort.

Edited by SkyFly

Hi SkyFly,

good observations in general - I am off for a run but will reply in detail in a few hours!

Cheers, Jan

Edit: Morten has the answers, here are my thoughts.

One could think that your post is "nitpicking" - but its in the "Feature Suggestion" forum, so everything is fair! We take all suggestions seriously and add them (if not to the official list, then to the back of our heads). There is a simple formula that you can apply to find out "how likely" it is that we add something:

Chance of a feature getting added = People that request it (or would like it) * how realistic it is * how much the IXEG staff wants to do that feature / effort needed to add the feature

So - for your point number one (yoke shape) this would equal = 1 person * not quite sure * not at all / many hours = never :P

1.) Not sure if the shape is off - I haven´t noticed so and neither have many thousand other users (including rated pilots). Youtube and internet pics are a bad source - of course we didn´t use laser scanners to get the real shape. Its also likely that the shape changed during the production run of the classic.

2.) You are right - we don´t have those rods - we may add them (once we run out of bigger fish to fry)

3.) The brakes really make no sound - sometimes they squeal if worn/hot, etc. Not impossible to add, who knows. There is all sorts of noise coming from the landing gear (wobbly tires, running over lights, grooved runways).

4.) Real classic pilots don´t use ALT and SPD intervention buttons - we had them on some planes and (I kid you not) 85+% of all pilots had no f*** clue what they do. :) They would add another level of complexity to our already - ahem - not so great VNAV implementation.

5.) Totally right - and it bothers me. I am certain that this one WILL be fixed eventually.

6.) What Morten said.

7.) We decided to model the pushbuttons for a few reasons. The pedals are "old school" and were phased out on the real planes for a number of reasons (mechanics that can fail, mostly). We decided to do the pushbuttons because they don´t require an animation, and most importantly - we don´t have to model the sound of the AP engagement paddles interlock mechanism that makes a "click" once you move the yoke. This would drive people crazy, they already can´t stand the sound of the airconditioning ;).

8.) Whenever a mechanical device hits something solid, there is a sound. Throttles, fan outlets, speedbrake lever, lamp intensity ring, etc. I agree, it would add to the realism, but also require a big amount of coding. Plus - if you move the throttles really slow - you wouldn´t hear them slam against the stop. So we would have to poll the speed of the movement and generate a metal-on-metal sound accordingly....

9.) Yeah, you can´t hear the flaps unless the cockpit door or windows are open and the engines are off. The hydraulic motor sits in the main gear wheel well and you can hear it when in the cabin.

10. The real ones are in "high idle" when you open them and then increase thrust gradually with reverser throttle angle. If you just want reverse idle, just toggle them open and don´t move your hardware throttle open.

11.) Totally agree - they are too sensitive. There is some "getting used to" , but it is only masking the problem. I am on Nils´ case to make them a bit less. But - as Morten said - the real ones ARE sensitive, too.

Cheers, Jan

Edited by Litjan

1. You need to in detail show us what you mean here. Looks very much like the ref photos we have.

2. See what you mean, but why are you looking down and behind the throttle while the reversers are active and you should be looking outside ;)

3. The autobrakes engage already like 1 sec after touchdown, so what you might hear here is possibly when the pilot applies manual braking when the brakes are hot and wheel rpm low. Not easy to make, but might be worth a try.

5. We know

6. Pictures of lighting levels and colors in a cockpit are generally useless, Way overexposed, saturated and often tampered with in photoshop.  Also there are like 20 light sources in the cockpit and on a photo you never know how all of them are set. Trust me I've made panels for X-Plane for 20 years. Only thing that works is seeing it in real.  And Jan has been staring at it for 10.000 hours :P

7. Might be in one day

8, 9, 10.  Unclear what you mean

11. Have you tried the real knob? Atleast I never managed to hit the right number on first attempt :P