Need lower res overcast

JohnMcP

Hi.  I'm new to X-Plane from 25 years on MSFS/FSX and just bought SMP4.6 with RWC in an attempt to get smooth weather transitions and coverage to the horizon like I used to get with ActiveSky products.

I don't have the worlds highest-spec machine but I've been able to get 40pfs easily with XP11.10, lots of ortho4xp tiles, addon airports, a complex addon aircraft, high res textures, low AA and plenty of autogen world objects. I have been using default clouds managed by a rendering setting script that has kept framerates up around 35fps even in overcast conditions with rain.

No matter how I set up SMP, my frame rate falls to 20fps or less with SMP enabled (and all lua scripts disabled) - unless I scale back the cloud coverage area to around 20%, which looks terrible at FL330

I watched plenty of your video explainers before I bought the software, and I understand that the cloud rendering in SMP can be 'the last straw' when you've already got lots else going on, but I'm really disappointed and believe I've wasted my money.  The issue seems to be the resolution and density of the cloud layers (particularly the overcast). I can't find a way of lowering the resolution, and even if I re-enable my scripts they have no effect on SMP clouds so I can't control the number/size of puffs.

I really like the way I've got the XP world looking (while maintaining 40fps plus), and the only bit missing was proper weather transitions as I flew from one NOAA METAR area into the next.

If the only way I can get that is to downgrade my graphics, or fly over a tiny pool of cloud in a clear sky, then SMP is not for me. 

Please let me know if there is any way I can get more control over the rendering. The quality and variety of free replacement cloud and sky textures, and free scripts for fine-tuning atmosphere, shadow and visibility, means that the only real benefit of SMP/RWC is the transitions and coverage - and if that comes at the expense of halving my frame rate I've made an expensive mistake.

Sorry to hear you're disappointed. X-Plane add-ons and settings are however a game of tradeoffs - it does sound like you're simply pushing your rig too hard with too many addons.

There are no ways to adjust SMP's resolution apart from what you see in our settings. The root of the problem, assuming you are using SMP's default settings apart from the cloud coverage, is likely that RWC creates many more cloud layers than X-Plane's default weather will, which means many more clouds to draw compared to the system you're used to tuning. You might consider adding something like FSGRW into the mix which will limit the number of cloud layers being fed in through the METAR data.

Making sure SMP is still set to "fast" cumulus clouds and "HD Puffs" for overcast will also help. Shadows, soft clouds, reflections, and lens flare can also impact performance if they are enabled in SMP - reflections especially.

Thanks I've uninstalled the software for now as it was unworkable in my setup.

I had not forced a cirrus layer and as far as I could tell only one cloud layer (broken between 2100ft and 4400ft) was visible. I have tried all setting combinations for clouds and get the same result. It's passable while on the ground but not workable once you fly into or above broken cloud.

The issue is with how thick/dense that layer is being drawn. With the default clouds and a script I can manipulate the overdraw and radius to basically tweak the coverage and how the puffs are drawn to get something my machine can manage as part of the overall graphic load.  I've tried using the over-ride clouds dataref but it looks like you've kidnapped it!  I can see why you would, but it doesn't help me.

Is there a way I can re-sell my licences, assuming you won't refund?

18 hours ago, JohnMcP said:

Is there a way I can re-sell my licences, assuming you won't refund?

No. The purchase is locked to your activated machine and account, and the activation server will recognize any attempts to "sell" this to someone very quickly, resulting in terminated/suspended accounts. Considering trying again when you get the time, or re-installing when you do some computer upgrades down the line.

Well, I'd tried hard to ignore all the angry people online bad-mouthing your company but I'm beginning to understand how they feel.

I shouldn't need to wait for intel to improve their Core i7 chips before I can use your product. And if I've bought it because of claims it will improve immersion in my sim, but find the only way to run it is to turn off many immersive factors - then I should be able to return the product (there was no demo or try-before-buy option).

As it stands you get £50 of my money and the only option I get is to degrade my simming experience or warn people online about how it's been for me. Neither of these options are really my style. Please can I cancel my licences and get a refund? 

Says you John,

I'm the defense of XA nothing here is a secret and it's common practice to not issue refunds on digital goods.  Any badmouthing at this point is by individuals who think the EULA doesn't apply to thier situation.  Sorry but this is an intitled attitude.

On my end, I'm sorry you didn't have a positive experience with our product. We're constantly updating and improving our offering based on customer feedback.....My hope is you can revisit our offering in the future and enjoy what we've brought to X-Plane.

On 04/01/2018 at 5:53 AM, JohnMcP said:

I don't have the worlds highest-spec machine but

I watched plenty of your video explainers before I bought the software, and I understand that the cloud rendering in SMP can be 'the last straw' when you've already got lots else going on, but I'm really disappointed and believe I've wasted my money.

1 hour ago, JohnMcP said:

Well, I'd tried hard to ignore all the angry people online bad-mouthing your company but I'm beginning to understand how they feel.

I shouldn't need to wait for intel to improve their Core i7 chips before I can use your product. And if I've bought it because of claims it will improve immersion in my sim, but find the only way to run it is to turn off many immersive factors - then I should be able to return the product (there was no demo or try-before-buy option).

As it stands you get £50 of my money and the only option I get is to degrade my simming experience or warn people online about how it's been for me. Neither of these options are really my style. Please can I cancel my licences and get a refund? 

Seems to me you went into this situation 100% fully informed that your machine is most likely NOT upto par for the settings you want to run at.

You're now attempting some social media blackmail in order to get a demo/trial version of something you also knew ahead of time that didn't exist.

You have also left out all details about the hardware you're running which makes for a very weak argument.