Can we expect VR Support anytime soon

ayousry

Look, it's just business. As things stand the cost of an HTC Vive is unlikely to be recouped anytime soon by new sales of SMP to VR users (bear in mind I only get a relatively small percentage of SMP's list price). Without a VR headset to test with, it's not something I can tune our products for. If you're flying in VR, you're probably better off switching to default clouds for now.

I'm tempted to bite the bullet and just buy one anyhow, but resolution and screen door effects are still distracting to me - and something better is right around the corner. When I finally cave in though, I'll see what's going on.

Edited by sundog

On 27-1-2018 at 2:08 AM, HiFlyer said:

Pretty much. I came here looking for answers on what steps Skymaxx would be taking to support VR. Instead I see general dismissiveness. This is surprising, even disappointing, but if this is truly the prevailing attitude, then as you say, the next steps are obvious.

Skymaxx is now uninstalled pending other developements.

The answer we get regarding support for 11.20, is not the anwer we expect to hear, so i am also really disappointed.

this attitude wil result in loosing a lot of customers.

Sorry you feel this way.....

VR is in beta, vulkan isn't even implemented and there is still a ton of VR hardware evolution moving forward...

It's yet to see if VR will even become a standard for simulation in general.  If that time comes rest assured hardware and software will evolve to accommodate the new market. This includes add on developers to boot.....

The XP market is still pretty small and we don't run with a ton of resources to roll dice on emerging technologies...

I'm an enthusiast turned developer in cooperation with Sundog who, although Frank has an appreciation for aviation, is mostly all business....

I'm sure LR will publish vr usage in the future and after 11,20 goes finsl I doupt it will even be 1% of the total market....

See nobody is being dismissive of your concerns, there is simply a market dynamic we adhear to in order to stay in business.....

To sum up some feelings here, I will say SMP is doing fine and we are certain it will continue to do well in this small market.....

• 3 weeks later...

Just to follow up, we spoke with Laminar about VR.  X-Plane at present does not support third party plugins that do 3D in VR at all. It's expected that SkyMaxx Pro would not work in the current VR betas of X-Plane, and there's nothing we can really do about it until a future X-Plane update that is planned.

Remember VR is a BETA feature in X-Plane right now. It's still in development, and it doesn't work with plugins yet - including ours. As things stand, we can't support it yet even if we wanted to.

The good news is that we have a very good idea of what needs to be done once Laminar rolls out plugin integration support for VR, and it shouldn't be too hard.

Edited by sundog
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
31 minutes ago, DiggerD said:

Hi guys, any update on a VR-compatible version yet? I’m really looking forward to getting back to consistent non-reloading weather at some point!

Regards, Craig.

We're waiting on Laminar to address some issues with how VR interacts with plugins still. Until that happens we're stuck on VR support I'm afraid.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Love the new VR support introduced with 4.7 - good job!

My only gripe are the noticeable cloud billboard "rotation" artifacts when turning my head. They are most noticeable when looking at cloud puffs directly above or below the current viewpoint location. Hopefully that gets fixed.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

The short answer is that VR is awesome. With the absolute best games this age, creative controls, and an all around upheld environment of VR advancement, 2021 is an extraordinary year to enter the virtual world. Request is solid and just getting more grounded, with 90% of Oculus Quest clients being new to VR. I have  GeForce GTX laptop rental where I apply many VR projects. Virtual Reality is best Skills in the Market now. VR advances will make cell phones more astute, and a lot more savvy devices like VR goggles, VR gadgets will flood the market. With VR, we can appreciate history (which is exhausting hypothetically), can investigate the space (from Earth), can see the outside of the moon in 3D and considerably more.

Edited by Henrymark78

1 hour ago, Henrymark78 said:

The short answer is that VR is awesome. With the absolute best games this age, creative controls, and an all around upheld environment of VR advancement, 2021 is an extraordinary year to enter the virtual world. Request is solid and just getting more grounded, with 90% of Oculus Quest clients being new to VR. I have  GeForce GTX laptop rental where I apply many VR projects. Virtual Reality is best Skills in the Market now. VR advances will make cell phones more astute, and a lot more savvy devices like VR goggles, VR gadgets will flood the market. With VR, we can appreciate history (which is exhausting hypothetically), can investigate the space (from Earth), can see the outside of the moon in 3D and considerably more.

Funny, I checked about a month ago and Beat Saber was still the number 1 selling title.... three years later. You'd think there'd be something better than that by now.