Saab V1.5 Status

Goran_M

Just a quick note about the update to XP11.

The update is done, but as with most add ons, some final testing remains to be done.  Just last night, I got some feedback that the aircraft is oscillating at higher altitudes under autopilot control, so that will need to be looked at.  This shouldn't take very long.

Some small details will always be looked at prior to release, because we want it to be as complete, and bug free as possible.  

I'm working on it today (Christmas Eve), and I'll try to get it all done and dusted as quickly as I can.  Hopefully today.

All that is left, as far as we can tell, are flight model adjustments (if there are any more after this autopilot oscillation issue).  

I was also working on the glass yesterday, trying to get it looking more "PBR"ish.  Took a few tries, but I got it to how I wanted it.  Old XP10 glass was looking very frosty in XP11, and it had to be fixed.
That's all for now.  I'll do what I can to get the flight model fixed before tonight.  Then Cameron will get it out to you all as soon as he can, so we can move forward onto the DC3 and Saab V2.
Here's a few screen grabs of the cockpit showing the new glass

LES_Saab_340A_29.png

LES_Saab_340A_30.png

• Upvote 6

Looks good.  I'm 99% sure this is my next purchase once 1.5 is released, and I can see some youtube reviews.

To the AP issue:  It seems that the oscillation, or porpoising at altitude, is an XP11 "feature" at this time.  That issue has cropped up in other aircraft too, so it may not be the SAAB's fault.

When you are satisfied with the progress, and send it to the store, will you be publishing a change log so we (as in prospective buyers...) can see what was done to make the XP10 version, a XP11 version?

Tim

4 hours ago, Tim013 said:

Looks good.  I'm 99% sure this is my next purchase once 1.5 is released, and I can see some youtube reviews.

To the AP issue:  It seems that the oscillation, or porpoising at altitude, is an XP11 "feature" at this time.  That issue has cropped up in other aircraft too, so it may not be the SAAB's fault.

When you are satisfied with the progress, and send it to the store, will you be publishing a change log so we (as in prospective buyers...) can see what was done to make the XP10 version, a XP11 version?

Tim

Yeah, we'll get a change log put together.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's moving forward.  Slowly, but surely.  I actually spoke to Cameron yesterday, and asked him what was involved in making an installer for the Saab, and his response was something to the effect of "An installer for an update like this is a nightmare!"
I'm guessing it's because of the 3 different variants and all the liveries.  Those were the factors that caused so many headaches when we first put it out.

It's getting closer.  When we know for sure, we'll make a post about it.

• Upvote 2

It's not so much that the installers in general are a nightmare, but the backstory is that the Saab installer was originally coded in 2013 and at the time was our most advanced installer code to leverage some attempted load balancing on the server, as well as keeping track of file differences and updates. At the time it seemed like a great idea, but in reality it was a terrible idea that I didn't see coming as time progressed. Keeping track of all these variants and the file updates between them, as well as the many gigabytes of data became tedious in the way the installer is coded, and it caused headaches not only for distribution, but also for people like Goran when we would discover some files were not properly updated between variants at update release times.

Over the years new installer formats have been developed because of this. Products like IXEG, the MU-2, and pretty much any other recent release contains the more up-to-date installer routines. The Saab needs some love to move to this system so we can future proof release delays going forward on it. At the moment it's not top priority over a couple of other projects that are first in line, but as soon as those are out of the way the focus will switch to this and bringing it all up to speed. We need to leverage our time spent on projects appropriately to balance business cash flow for all involved. We'll get there, just not yet.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Tchou said:

Wouldn't products like "install anywhere" meet your needs, and make the installer/updater creation much faster.

This is a very short-sighted post from you to technical things you as a customer do not think about.

Just because a company (like Install Anywhere) makes installer compiling software does not mean that the software it compiles writes itself. We already use a multiplatform compiler similar to the one you have suggested. It still needs to be told what to do and how to interact with your server.

So, the quick and dirty answer to your question is "No."

On 19/01/2018 at 4:38 AM, Cameron said:

This is a very short-sighted post from you to technical things you as a customer do not think about.

As an Ex network administrator, having to deploy security patches and software updates required by our customers, for an heterogenous network composed of UNIX, macs and various versions of Windows Pcs,

I'm well aware of "technical things" involved in compiling such an installer and I would have not kept my job for several years if a software update had taken "several weeks" on our systems. 

But Yes, as a customer, I know nothing about your procedures.

As an Ex network administrator, having to deploy security patches and software updates required by our customers, for an heterogenous network composed of UNIX, macs and various versions of Windows Pcs,

I'm well aware of "technical things" involved in compiling such an installer and I would have not kept my job for several years if a software update had taken "several weeks" on our systems. 

But Yes, as a customer, I know nothing about your procedures.

With all due respect, what you carry over from some previous job does not directly apply to any type of integration in what we do. Furthermore, the explanation as to why the installer takes more time in this instance goes beyond the installer itself as explained. You asked if your suggestion would solve the problem. It does not, plain and simple (and shows exactly that you do NOT understand the situation at hand since you made such a suggestion).

On 1/18/2018 at 3:38 AM, Cameron said:

The Saab needs some love to move to this system so we can future proof release delays going forward on it. At the moment it's not top priority over a couple of other projects that are first in line, but as soon as those are out of the way the focus will switch to this and bringing it all up to speed. We need to leverage our time spent on projects appropriately to balance business cash flow for all involved. We'll get there, just not yet.

With all due respect, so your top priority is to get customers to buy new releases of scenery, aircraft, etc... then take your time to release the updates. Its like "already got there money now they can wait" Sorry but you just lost me as customer.

34 minutes ago, Pesti_PT said:
With all due respect, so your top priority is to get customers to buy new releases of scenery, aircraft, etc... then take your time to release the updates. Its like "already got there money now they can wait" Sorry but you just lost me as customer.

Nope, didn't say that, and if you know anything about our history you would know that's not how we operate.

The Saab is not the only product we carry, and we do not have infinite resources/hands to do everything at once. Furthermore, in ten years of business we have yet to charge an upgrade fee on any of our aircraft products, numerous even from X-Plane 9 to 10 to 11. That was a rather foolish comment you just made.

6 hours ago, Pesti_PT said:

That's completely out of line and totally uncalled for.  As Cameron already mentioned, we made this update for free.  No strings attached.  You bought a fully functioning product, that works in X-Plane 10.  And, we believe, you got excellent value for money.  This update took us a few months to finish.  And it had many stressful moments.  Please, let go of this sense of entitlement, and just exercise a little bit of patience.

• Upvote 4