Saab V1.5 Status

Goran_M

3 minutes ago, JGregory said:

This (sound) bug was fixed in v1.4.1.  Please make sure you have the correct version installed.  The GizmoLog.txt file should be showing this....

LES: Load Saab 340A Scripts - v1.5
LES: Load Saab 340A Hot Fix - (None)

Your log file does NOT show that.

Hmmm... I downloaded the latest and greatest Saab_340A_1.5.zip (containing a S340A-windows-installer.exe dated 2018-03-16 22:08) this morning and ran the installer. It stated that it was uninstalling the previous version, then installed the new one... Really followed the instructions "to the letter" AFAIK/can remember... I can certainly redo it and explicitely uninstall the previous/now current, version before running the installer...

10 minutes later - Cleaned out the old version "by hand", also removing the old GizmoLog.txt. Reran the same installer. Now, as you say, the problem is gone and "all is fine" - I do see the two "LES: Load Saab 340A..." lines in the log.

But, that does give a possibility that the general upgrade path isn't always working as expected... But, since my initial installation was (partly?) removed by my first try, it's hard to regenerate the behaviour...

One observation though - With the latest installation I'm unable to get the Gizmo Console to show... There is a GizmoLog.txt file and it says "Called: Console_OnShow", but nothing visible happens when I trigger the Console (top button on the right edge Gizmo menu). The other entries work, but the console is gone...

6 minutes ago, JAdata said:

One observation though - With the latest installation I'm unable to get the Gizmo Console to show... There is a GizmoLog.txt file and it says "Called: Console_OnShow", but nothing visible happens when I trigger the Console (top button on the right edge Gizmo menu). The other entries work, but the console is gone...

It could be that the window is "off screen".  Go to Plugins > Gizmo64 > Gather Windows, and see if that corrects the problem. 

Glad to hear the other issue is resolved.

Just a note here regarding installing 1.5.  For me, allowing the installer to do the uninstall ended with a non-upgraded version of the Saab.  I had to manually start the X-Aviation uninstaller (windows control panel | uinstall)...after it completes I still had over 500MB of files in the still remaining folders), then delete the entire saab folder.  Running the installer after that corrected the problem I was having.  Prior to this manual deletion step and after running the 1.5 installer, I was, apparently, running all or partially v1.3.  

Cheers.

1 minute ago, gpb500 said:

I still had over 500MB of files in the still remaining folders

This would likely be liveries, especially third party one's, or any you downloaded with the Livery Manager after initial first install of 1.3.

1 minute ago, gpb500 said:

For me, allowing the installer to do the uninstall ended with a non-upgraded version of the Saab.

Actually, what you got was fully upgraded and installed. What we've seen on some machines though is that in addition to the new code files, some installs will retain new and old, and the old get loaded before new. I'm looking at ways to work around this appropriately.

There were some liveries, but it left the cargo and other option in full.  I had not selected to install those but they were not uninstalled.  Could that be the issue?

1 minute ago, Cameron said:

Actually, what you got was fully upgraded and installed. What we've seen on some machines though is that in addition to the new code files, some installs will retain new and old, and the old get loaded before new. I'm looking at ways to work around this appropriately.

Yeah, certainly not "fully upgraded and installed" but it seems to be now.  Thx.

2 minutes ago, gpb500 said:

There were some liveries, but it left the cargo and other option in full.  I had not selected to install those but they were not uninstalled.  Could that be the issue?

No, but it definitely should not have left them in full, and I'll take a look into the code as to why that may happen. Some of these OS's are very finicky about deleting files properly when commanded, so a small battle.

2 minutes ago, gpb500 said:

Yeah, certainly not "fully upgraded and installed" but it seems to be now.  Thx.

In a technical sense, yes, it was fully upgraded and installed. What it was not was fully upgraded and loading the newest code because of old lingering code files that should have been deleted.

• 5 months later...
17 hours ago, Cameron said:

No, it is not.

Ahh, okay. May I ask as to why? I’m guessing the two aircraft have similar(ish) performance characteristics but wouldn’t require any significant changes to the model. Honestly speaking I don’t know much about the difference in variants, my thoughts would be that there was only a difference in the engines (of course it would affect the way the aircraft handles and some of its parameters). I completely understand if it’s a matter of lack of time, after all new sounds and scripts would have to be written. I’m only asking because my VA uses the B variant. 

Also, apologies if it’s been answered previously, what’s going to happen with V2? What are the changes that are going to occur? I’m curious as to the improvements we’ll see, this aircraft already holds the reputation of one of the best turboprops available.

There are 2 major hurdles we have to overcome with a 340B being included as part of V2.  FMC and moving map with flight plan/waypoints.  Even if Jim started making an FMC today, you won't see a beta until, likely, 2020.

The changes in V2 will be X Plane 11 dedicated flight model.  PBR textures done from scratch.  Re-modelled aircraft, also done from scratch.  More features.  FMOD sound.

Edited by Goran_M
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Goran_M said:

There are 2 major hurdles we have to overcome with a 340B being included as part of V2.  FMC and moving map with flight plan/waypoints.  Even if Jim started making an FMC today, you won't see a beta until, likely, 2020.

The changes in V2 will be X Plane 11 dedicated flight model.  PBR textures done from scratch.  Re-modelled aircraft, also done from scratch.  More features.  FMOD sound.

The one thing I would really like to see for version 2 would be the ability to do precision GPS approaches with full VNAV guidance as you can in an ILS approach. Would really help with pilot workload in bad weather and it seems from my reading airlines like REX in Australia have this fitted as part of their standard toy set these days. 

On 8/25/2018 at 11:33 AM, Goran_M said:

Thanks for clarifying ^_^

I look forward to V2! I haven't purchased it yet (new to X-Plane, need to make sure my VA can accept the A variant PIREP's) but every review I've read has complemented this aircraft very highly.