Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jfwharton

X-Aviation KTTF Scenery FPS

10 posts in this topic

Today I purchased the X-Aviation KTTF Custer scenery. I had read the reviews and thought my system could handle it. I guess I was wrong. Here are my system specs: I7 7700 4.5GHz processor, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 1080Ti 11GB video card. Up until today I had all of the graphics settings all the way to the right as high as they would go and everything has been running smoothly. I have payware scenery for KDEN, KPHX, KABQ and other airports. No scenery stutters. But with the X-Aviation KTTF scenery I get bad stutters when turning over the town. I tried lowering the graphics settings but even on mid settings the scenery stutters. So I'm looking for recommendations from anyone who may have this scenery on what settings they use because right now I'm thinking I may have just wasted my money.

1 hour ago, jfwharton said:

Today I purchased the X-Aviation KTTF Custer scenery. I had read the reviews and thought my system could handle it. I guess I was wrong. Here are my system specs: I7 7700 4.5GHz processor, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 1080Ti 11GB video card. Up until today I had all of the graphics settings all the way to the right as high as they would go and everything has been running smoothly. I have payware scenery for KDEN, KPHX, KABQ and other airports. No scenery stutters. But with the X-Aviation KTTF scenery I get bad stutters when turning over the town. I tried lowering the graphics settings but even on mid settings the scenery stutters. So I'm looking for recommendations from anyone who may have this scenery on what settings they use because right now I'm thinking I may have just wasted my money.

Are you using an SSD (Solid State Drive) or more traditional hard drive?

Full right is really a terrible use of your rendering settings. It's unnecessary, and even Laminar Research would tell you that's a waste of computer resources.

The biggest killers will be shadows and reflections. I'd be willing to bet that reflections are playing a very big role in your FPS reduction. Trying to compare airport sceneries to a region scenery like this is not a good measure of your computers ability.

I am using dual Samsung 850 SSD's and should have mentioned that I am using XP11.10.

Edited by jfwharton

Thank you for your comments.  I have unchecked draw shadows on scenery and move the reflections down to medium.  It is better but there are still some hesitations.

2 hours ago, jfwharton said:

Thank you for your comments.  I have unchecked draw shadows on scenery and move the reflections down to medium.  It is better but there are still some hesitations.

KTTF is demanding but can be run on mid level systems very smoothly. I'm curious as to what aircraft you are flying...Same one for all of your tests or multiple? Ortho4xp for the entire area? screenshot of your settings would be helpful. You have a pretty good machine, much better than my old beater. I get very good performance and am wondering where the hold up is. A log txt would be helpful as well. Thanks and hope to get you running smoothly soon!

Adding to this, you should be sure texture compression is on in the X-Plane settings!

Interesting information.  Currently textures are set to uncompressed.  I will try changing that.  I have several payware aircraft.  Carenado B1900D, 500S, PA34 Seneca, Alabeo Titan C404, RW Designs B60 Duke and DHC-6, and the X-Aviation MU-2.  Interesting enough that the scenery performs best with the MU-2.  Then the C404.

When I was adjusting the texture setting I noticed XP11 shows the size of the textures loaded.  Flying over Custer I get anywhere from 9.500 MB to 10,500 MB of textures loaded.  Wow.  I have an 11G video card and 16G of RAM.  So where do all of these textures load?  Would upping my RAM to 32G help any?

Most of those textures are going to load to your video card. The 16GB RAM could be upgraded to 32 and help you out quite a bit too. RAM is never a bad thing.

I'd be willing to bet a great deal of your "slow" down was due to the uncompressed setting. There's really no sense in flying your sim that way. It's a waste of resource for little return.