yukonpete

[Merged] Help for VR users - popup CDU

18 posts in this topic

love the product immensely

It would be nice if you could click on the FMC and open it.

Thanks

Pete

Edited by Morten

They allready stated, that this wont be happening because they want it as immersive as possible. You have an Ipad today, ya but you can popout the FMC. ;) And i don´t miss that feature tbh you can setup your camera views so perfectly comfortable in x plane. :) 

Hello, I hope the developers see this. I am using this remarkable plane in VR and it is very difficult to enter data on the CDU. The mouse won't stay still when I am in VR and just as I press a button, the arrow moves up or down and I miss my key. I have the same problem with the GPS on default planes, but the default GPS is a popup and when I click it, it appears in a larger version on the 2D monitor. Yes, I have to lift the goggles to see it, but on the 2D screen, the mouse works properly and I can quickly enter my data and get back into 3D. Many other planes have a popup on the G1000 or other screens in the glass cockpit.

I assume since so many planes use popup instruments, that the code is readily available and probably in an object library. So having the CDU popup should not be a complicated programming task. Of course, being popped up has nothing to do with the CDU function, so there are no complications there.

Please, please, please make this change for the increasing number of VR users???

I assume since so many planes use popup instruments, that the code is readily available and probably in an object library. So having the CDU popup should not be a complicated programming task.

You assume very wrong.

Cameron is right, it is not easy, unfortunately. I use VR as well, and I know exactly what you are talking about - it is pretty much impossible to use the plane proficiently now - unless you lean in on the instruments like a very shortsighted person ;-)

I think the way to go will not be to make things easier to read and see - but to wait for the next (or the one after that) generation of VR goggles, with higher resolution and also better interfacing with hardware (like having a virtual keyboard, joystick, etc.).

It may be possible to adapt a more simplistic plane, like a Cessna 172, to the current iteration of VR, but a complex airliner, I don´t think so.

Cheers, Jan

I admit that most of my planes are GA planes, but that said - they ALL have popup instruments - some just the GPS, but many have additional panels like the six pack for easier visibility. It is so very common that I assumed that it must be fairly easy to do.

BTW, to fly in VR I lean heavily on PlaneCommand - an inexpensive program that lets me speak to the copilot and the copilot executes my requests. This eliminates a lot of knob turning. Most of the autopilot settings in the 737 respond perfectly. I would say that more than half of the things I might want to do can be handled by PlaneCommand. The CDU is the hardest part. I understand that there is an Apple ipad app that works as a remote CDU with the IXEG, but there is nothing like that for Windows or Android.....

Edited by quijote

I think popup instruments like those supplied by the FF Boeings are even not a good solution in VR. It is acceptable in preflight situations to take off your VR-gear, but inflight I'd rather stare at the instruments like a mole. Btw. after ~3/4 year VR expirience and practicing, I'am now able to anticipate and compensate the mousepointer shivering almost completly. As long as no family member complaining on my new lifeform as "antishiver mole mutant", for me, VR in flightsiming/training is one of these things you can't step back.
rg, Michael

Edited by KirMi

Yes, I was mostly thinking of pre-flight situations where there is a lot of data to input. I don't mind taking off the headset then and even in flight, if something complicated comes up, I don't mind pausing the sim and raising the headset to work on a larger instrument.. I just want to be able to use VR effectively in study level planes.....

HerrSchwartz - You obviously aren¡t flying in VR. In VR, the mouse jumps around and it is almost impossible to enter data on the CDU that way. A popup would make life so much easier..... And in VR, preset views don't work. If you want to see the CDU you have to lean in to make it bigger. If the mouse pointer would hold still, I could live with that.

As it is, I am going to try to load the plane on the flat screen and program the FMC. Then I will save a situation and return to VR and see if the flight plan is still there.....

Edited by quijote

Today I tried programming the FMC while I was in flat-screen X-Plane. Then I saved a situation and switched to VR. No luck. None of the flight plan passed over. So I leaned in and tried to reenter the data. Impossible! I really regret spending so much money on a plane that I won't use. Same for the Rotate MD80. I'll be looking for a plane with a popup......

7 hours ago, quijote said:

Today I tried programming the FMC while I was in flat-screen X-Plane. Then I saved a situation and switched to VR. No luck. None of the flight plan passed over. So I leaned in and tried to reenter the data. Impossible! I really regret spending so much money on a plane that I won't use. Same for the Rotate MD80. I'll be looking for a plane with a popup......

If you want to buy me a VR headset and a machine to run it on I'll personally make this happen.

The reality is that VR hardware is both expensive and rare. A very small (unknown) % of users own it now and the uptake is slow.

We must serve the majority of users first. You all collectively make any returns possible.

Serving a niche sub set of users is not a wise use of resources.

We're not a AAA games studio with an entire building floor dedicated to our work.

We're a team of individuals spread all over the planet mostly working second jobs to subsidize our X-Plane developments.

It's hard to justify the investment in something like a VR headset and GPU when you're already subsiding just being able to publish the product at all.

Thanks for your understanding. Not trying to pour cold water on your request, just stating the reality of the situation.

11 hours ago, quijote said:

Yes, saving a situation will not save the whole state of the plane. Instead you could program everything, leave the plane running, and then switch to VR.

Current VR hardware is not good enough to really fly realistically. The resolution is too low, the gear is too heavy and interaction with the 3D cockpit is in it´s infancy (I own a Rift). We are not going to spend time to work around these limitations - hardware needs to improve to become usable in this regard.

I totally understand if you don´t want to use our 737 with the headset, but when the next generations arrive in a year or two, you can take a second look and then hopefully enjoy it!

Cheers, Jan

I can appreciate the reluctance to dedicate precious development time for a very small niche market. But the gear is not all that expensive and when X-Plane releases native VR it's going to explode. I paid 399€ for my Rift and it has transformed simming for me. 

I have done the initial tutorials on the 737 and don't find a problem in controlling the cockpit with the mouse and PlaneCommand. It is the CDU to kills me.

I read that the FF 767 has a popup CDU and a remote connection to an iPad. I'm going to investigate further...

Sorry I am raising such a fuss about this but I can't go back to the flat screen. Sure, I could buy a whole new computer and 3 big monitors and fly in 2D - but even that wouldn't be the same......

I still love your plane.

1 hour ago, quijote said:

I can appreciate the reluctance to dedicate precious development time for a very small niche market. But the gear is not all that expensive and when X-Plane releases native VR it's going to explode. I paid 399€ for my Rift and it has transformed simming for me. 

So you're going to buy me a VR rig then?

It may not be expensive to you but it is beyond my budget for the foreseeable future. I have two kids to raise...

4 hours ago, quijote said:

I have done the initial tutorials on the 737 and don't find a problem in controlling the cockpit with the mouse and PlaneCommand. It is the CDU to kills me.

I read that the FF 767 has a popup CDU and a remote connection to an iPad. I'm going to investigate further...

Sorry I am raising such a fuss about this but I can't go back to the flat screen. Sure, I could buy a whole new computer and 3 big monitors and fly in 2D - but even that wouldn't be the same......

I still love your plane.

Thanks for the nice words... for what it is worth, there IS the possibility to output the CDU to an iPad for our plane as well, look here:

https://haversine.com/airfmc

Cheers, Jan

Thanks folks,

I'l be moving on. My new FF 767 has a popup CDU AND a remote CDU that will run in a browser on my computer or a browser on anything else like a phone or tablet. So I can follow a flight on the CDU at the dinner table....

Problem solved.....