Anti Ice

Laem

Hi IXEG experts,
maybe you have an idea :-)
Yesterday evening I made a flight from LGSK to EDDS, everything starts well.
20 miles before EDDS there was a snow storm but I catched ILS, still okay. But then the nose gear didn't went down, I tried it serveral times. before I was able to accerlate for a Go around the planes turns right over the wing and crashed. XP11 told me too much ice on the wings *grhh*
First, I know I have to train the emergency procedures, haha.
But, more important, are the anti-ice switches working in version 1.2? Or are they only for nice to have?
Did someone made the same experiences?
Thx
Edited by Morten

Hi Laem,

I have not really tried them recently - but the anti-ice used to work and I am not aware of any changes to the icing code or datarefs. But I will check it out just to make sure.

You have to use wing-anti-ice and engine-anti-ice in icing conditions.

The nose gear being "stuck" could be due to having X-Plane default failures enabled.

Cheers, Jan

Hi Jan,

thank you for your answers !

The default XP11 failures are completly disabled because I don't want to get in trouble after a long time in front of my PC :-) I know that's not completly real but .....

I noticed always during the first flight after the reactivation of the licence some failures but only during the first flight. For example during take-off one or both engines are going down.  Or the FMC behaviuou is different like the flights before.

Then, starting to the second flight everything is okay .... until I get some weeks later the message to reactivate the licence again.

So, maybe this was a new failure during the first flight and it will happen never again.

Cheers Martin

Hi Martin,

we do not "force" failures on people with renewed licenses - not even if they don´t have a licence at all, the plane will simply not run :). And your report about this is the first one we get, so I am inclined to think it is a problem unique to your computer or setup. If all else fails, delete your preference files, maybe there are some corrupted key bindings that trigger failures or so...

You can see the status of the icing (and anti-ice) on the "data out" display, search for the correct data to output with the keyword "ice".

Happy landings, Jan

Hi Jan,

don't misunderstand it, it is not a complaint or something like that, I love the plane (and some infos about the future steps, hehe).

I will check your hints, maybe ..... otherwise the first flight will be a challenge for good pilots :-)

Cheers Martin

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 9.12.2017 at 6:18 PM, krimt said:

Just tried to take off with Ixeg 737 plane full of ice , not succesfully. Learning anti ice procedures the hard way! All that preflight for nothing

I went thru the process twice this evening! Norway is suffering from a major blizzard this night, and I was trying to simulate flying the 737 from ENGM to ENTC up north. I will be (hopefully) flying this route IRL tomorrow.

Unfortunately, the X Plane-version of Oslo Airport Gardermoen does not cater for de-ice of any sort. But I did run a thorough (extended) pre-flight making sure bleed air together with anti-ice had been working for an hour. Despite the effort I was unable to lift-off, and instead made two new editions of highway through the woods south of the field :D

It's not until you crash X Plane warns you "Considerable amounts of ice detected..." Would be nice to get a pre-warning. Since building of ice on the fuselage and wings are not visible in XP, I wonder how the allmighty Jan Vogel goes about when he's practicing his simulated icy runs in the 737 :P

For the record: ENGM 152250Z 13007KT 110V180 1900 SN FEW006 OVC008 M02/M03 Q0988

• Upvote 1

Visible on wipes. B733_1.png

But in IXEG wing anti-ice not working on ground. And XP11 core begin accumulate ice on wings and eng inlet on aircraft standing on ground in amount of weather conditions -  negative temperature, heavy precipitations, strong headwind. I wrote it to Jan several months ago, what in other models of 733 is possible to use wing AI on ground, as indicated in Boeing OM. 

Edited by dr_anthony

What you can do though is put the switch in the ground test mode for some time. This will operate the wing anti-ice on the ground.

If you do that right before takeoff you can free your wings of ice just long enough for a takeoff and let the normal operation take over once airborne - in heavy icing conditions you might have to go twice through the maximum operating time or even press it while accelerating down the runway.

As for running it on the ground - ours is apparently an early model: "Note that on early systems, i.e. those with a GND TEST position, with the WAI switch ON on the ground, the WAI is inhibited until lift-off i.e. 'armed', This is opposite to the present system."

http://www.b737.org.uk/iceandrain.htm

Edited by mfor

Mfor is right - the wing-anti ice can only work on the ground when pushing the GND TEST - and even then it will shut off after a short time delay (to avoid overheating the leading edge).

Real aircraft can only de-ice the leading edge - since this is the only place that ice will accumulate DURING FLIGHT. They can´t de-ice the upper surface of the wings - and thats where snow accumulates during ground time.

To safely take off during icing conditions, you need to have the aircraft sprayed with de-icing fluid that has a holdover time - this is the time that the viscous fluid protects the wings agains falling snow.

All this is missing in X-Plane - I think you may want to file a bug report with Laminar Research to implement a "spray with de-icing fluid" option that sets the wing icing to 0 for a set amount of time.

You can check the status of the wing icing on the datarefs - and who knows, the value may even be "writable" with dateref editor (havent tried) - that way you could set it to 0 right before lift-off.

Cheers, Jan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Just to say, I've been using this LUA script for some time, yet only now I had a true opportunity to put it to the test (with live ActiveSky weather) as winter season has begun. Departing from typical icing conditions with contamination accretion (around -3C, snowing, low ceiling), I performed simulated de-icing procedure (per FCOM SP) and pressed assigned key for this LUA to activate. This was done abeam the stand with engines running, taxi time was only 5 minutes or so. Engine anti-ice was turned ON after startup, wing anti-ice obviously OFF (since fluid was applied). I was unable to rotate at Vr. By that time I long passed V1 since it was also reduced to account to runway contamination. Consequently I had to abort take off with overrun. The moral of the story -- activate this LUA script during runway line up the second time (I added a note on my printed out checklist). X-Plane does not simulate different anti-icing fluids and realistic holdover times.

Edited by NZWW