Xponder panel graphics

kentwerickson

Hmm. I just noticed that the textures (graphics/text) on the transponder panel of the cargo variant of my Saab 340A (v1.4.1) are severely blurry (I'm still running XP10.51). As with the rest of the cockpit textures on the 340A, this looks great on both the passenger and airborne variants. But for some reason on the cargo variant these textures (only on the transponder panel) again seem to be severely degraded (to the point of being illegible). Can anyone offer an explanation and/or potential fix for this problem? Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Goran_M said:

Can you verify the resolution of the "Center_Console.png" in both variants?  Is the cargo variant texture size smaller than the passenger variant?

Not positive how to do this, but I opened both files with Paint.net. And under "Image/Resize.." it reports a resolution for both of 72.01 ppi (2048 x 2048). Does this sound about right?

Might need you to try something here.  Can you open up Planemaker, navigate to the Cargo variant of the Saab and select the "acf" file.  Open that file.  In the top menus, click on "Standard"/"Misc Objects".

"Centre_Console" should be the 5th object down.  Can you verify it has a check mark in the "hi-res" box as indicated in the screenshot below?
Screenshot_832.png

8 minutes ago, Goran_M said:

Might need you to try something here.  Can you open up Planemaker, navigate to the Cargo variant of the Saab and select the "acf" file.  Open that file.  In the top menus, click on "Standard"/"Misc Objects".

Center Console.JPG

I notice that if I increase the texture resolution in XP (via rendering settings), the resolution of the console texture improves (but is still not as crisp as the passenger variant under the same settings).

Edited by kentwerickson

Well, this one has me stumped.  Same settings in X Plane per aircraft.  Same texture resolution.  Same check box ticked, but different appearance.  This one is a mystery.  I'll investigate further and get back to you, but I can't think of anything else that could be affecting this.

1 minute ago, Goran_M said:

Well, this one has me stumped.  Same settings in X Plane per aircraft.  Same texture resolution.  Same check box ticked, but different appearance.  This one is a mystery.  I'll investigate further and get back to you, but I can't think of anything else that could be affecting this.

Fair enough, and thanks for your help. In the meantime I will continue to play around with XP settings to see if other rendering options make a difference.

Edited by kentwerickson

• 1 month later...

Just checking in to see if the graphics resolution issue reported above had been investigated. Today it occurred to me to re-download the 340 from X-Aviation. However when I ran the installer the option to download the passenger version was disabled (ghosted out so I could not select it). Any idea what's going on with this?

EDIT: While the passenger variant was not selected in the installer, it seems to have installed anyway. Also, upon first inspection this seems to have resolved the text resolution problem reported earlier; I will report back in the event that it reappears again in the future.

While I'm at it, I wanted check the status on a couple of promised updates to the current v1.4.1 version for XP10. First, I am still hoping for an update (or patch) to fix the altimeter problem with the cargo variant (the primary altimeter stops incrementing at or above 10K feet, whereas the standby continues to record the correct altitude above 10K ft -- this seems to be a function that got broken in the v1.4.1 update, as it always worked fine for me prior to that update). Second is that I am rather hoping for a keyboard assignment for the nose wheel tiller on/off function (this can be quite difficult to locate and operate while keeping one's eyes on the runway during landing). I would be just as happy if the tiller control worked as toggle; i.e., on/off with a single mouse click (as opposed to click-and-drag). Finally there is the issue with the course selector (I've forgotten the details, but it's documented somewhere in this forum).

Thanks.

Edited by kentwerickson

3 hours ago, kentwerickson said:

However when I ran the installer the option to download the passenger version was disabled (ghosted out so I could not select it). Any idea what's going on with this?

I believe it's actually preselected (being the base package) and just greyed out in order to not let the user de-select it by mistake.

Edited by mgeiss

1 minute ago, mgeiss said:

I believe it's actually preselected (being the base package) and just greyed out in order to not let the user de-select it by mistake.

This occurred to me, yet also strikes me as kind of a strange (non-standard) protocol; e.g., suppose all I want to do is download some liveries that I bypassed on a previous install? On the other hand, if I select nothing then it seems that what should happen is nothing; i.e., the installer simply terminates. At any rate, thanks for your suggestion.