11 posts in this topic

Hmm. I just noticed that the textures (graphics/text) on the transponder panel of the cargo variant of my Saab 340A (v1.4.1) are severely blurry (I'm still running XP10.51). As with the rest of the cockpit textures on the 340A, this looks great on both the passenger and airborne variants. But for some reason on the cargo variant these textures (only on the transponder panel) again seem to be severely degraded (to the point of being illegible). Can anyone offer an explanation and/or potential fix for this problem? Thanks.

Just to clarify, are you saying the actual display is blurry or the text on the actual unit?
A screenshot would give us a clearer picture. (no pun intended)

Exhibit A.jpgExhibit B.jpg

17 minutes ago, Goran_M said:

Just to clarify, are you saying the actual display is blurry or the text on the actual unit?
A screenshot would give us a clearer picture. (no pun intended)

Thanks Goran; I should have volunteered this from the start. Compare Exhibit A (cargo variant) to Exhibit B (passenger variant):

Can you verify the resolution of the "Center_Console.png" in both variants?  Is the cargo variant texture size smaller than the passenger variant?

7 minutes ago, Goran_M said:

Can you verify the resolution of the "Center_Console.png" in both variants?  Is the cargo variant texture size smaller than the passenger variant?

Not positive how to do this, but I opened both files with Paint.net. And under "Image/Resize.." it reports a resolution for both of 72.01 ppi (2048 x 2048). Does this sound about right?

So in the objects folder of each variant, the image size is 2048 x 2048?  

Just now, Goran_M said:

So in the objects folder of each variant, the image size is 2048 x 2048?  

Near as I can tell, yes. The file size itself (for both variants) shows 3,289 KB.

Might need you to try something here.  Can you open up Planemaker, navigate to the Cargo variant of the Saab and select the "acf" file.  Open that file.  In the top menus, click on "Standard"/"Misc Objects".

"Centre_Console" should be the 5th object down.  Can you verify it has a check mark in the "hi-res" box as indicated in the screenshot below?
Screenshot_832.png

8 minutes ago, Goran_M said:

Might need you to try something here.  Can you open up Planemaker, navigate to the Cargo variant of the Saab and select the "acf" file.  Open that file.  In the top menus, click on "Standard"/"Misc Objects".

Center Console.JPG

I notice that if I increase the texture resolution in XP (via rendering settings), the resolution of the console texture improves (but is still not as crisp as the passenger variant under the same settings).

Edited by kentwerickson

Well, this one has me stumped.  Same settings in X Plane per aircraft.  Same texture resolution.  Same check box ticked, but different appearance.  This one is a mystery.  I'll investigate further and get back to you, but I can't think of anything else that could be affecting this.

1 minute ago, Goran_M said:

Well, this one has me stumped.  Same settings in X Plane per aircraft.  Same texture resolution.  Same check box ticked, but different appearance.  This one is a mystery.  I'll investigate further and get back to you, but I can't think of anything else that could be affecting this.

Fair enough, and thanks for your help. In the meantime I will continue to play around with XP settings to see if other rendering options make a difference.

Edited by kentwerickson