Cameron

Mitsubishi MU-2 Version 1.8 Update Released!

59 posts in this topic

Hello, all,

This will serve as a formal forum announcement that we have released the version 1.8 update for the Mitsubishi MU-2B-60. All customers who have purchased the Mitsubishi MU-2B-60 up till now have been sent an e-mail by X-Aviation with complete installation instructions on how to update your product. We have made this a very simple process! For those that purchase the Mitsubishi MU-2B-60 from today forward, your purchased download will already be updated to version 1.8 for you.

What if I didn't get the update e-mail?

If you did not receive your update e-mail don't fret! X-Aviation has updated our system to allow all customers to update with ease, regardless of whether you received an e-mail for the update! Simply login to your account and re-download your original order.

There are some important fixes and requests implemented in this update.

Please note this update is for X-Plane 11 only, and this ends support going forward for X-Plane 10.

The following is a list of additions/fixes included:
 
Changes/Fixes:

Visual Enhancements:

  • XP11 Reflective Glass over Instruments 
  • XP11 Reflection on exterior
  • XP11 Reflective Yokes
  • Subtle changes to lighting highlights on panel
  • New throttle knobs per the real thing

Flight Model Changes:

  • EGT on engine start more within realistic limits
  • New annunciator system with more realistic lighting effects
  • Texture on turn/slip indicators cleaned up to make the balls visible
  • Refined electrical system power consumption
  • Added second battery and battery isolation switches per the real thing
  • Fixed brakes to be consistent. Used to be ‘locked on’ after first landing

 

As always, thanks for being a customer with X-Aviation. We appreciate your feedback and support!

Enjoy these latest updates, and stay tuned to the forum as we continually announce the latest happenings. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, thank's a lot Tom, and XA too. The "Mu" has always been my favorite twin prop on xp. It was my first add-on, and still remained just as a first love !

And all of this for free ! If there would be a good reason to buy your products - except that they are always somptuous -it would be that one...

"Merci infiniment",

Daniel.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Cameron,

I have just installed the Mu2 v.1.8

My X-Plane version is  11.05r2 (build 110501 64-bit

I have noticed the following and I am asking if this is a problem with my setup or with the aircraft.

  • The the condition levers in taxi, the power levers cannot be moved to the ground range
  • With the condition levers just above taxi, I can set ground idle, but the propeller RPM increases to over 100% (prop RPM should not increase until in reverse)
  • With the power levers in flight idle, the parking brake is insufficiently strong to maintain position.
  • EGT during start looks OK, after start, through the whole range of power settings EGT is way too low. see screenshot attached.
  • Oil temperature is way too low
  • When I shutdown the engine with the correct procedure, (run-crank-stop switch to stop, reverse past 50%rpm) the prop moves to feather instead of the start locks.

So when I ignore the engine RPM, and I leave the condition levers at max RPM when not airborne, the aircraft is flyable. but there is definately something wrong with it.

Looking forward to your reply,

 

Many thanks,  Rico van Dijk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ricovandijk/

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

X-Plane Screenshot 2017.10.26 - 10.12.26.35.png

X-Plane Screenshot 2017.10.26 - 10.19.23.79.png

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@PilotNL

Hello,

I have not these issues with the regular version of XP11 : that's because you loaded the beta one. I get an oil temperature around 50 °C  ; throttle and prop are moving normally. What I noticed is that you cannot move the throttle up and down manually with the mouse. But it doesn't matter for me, as I have mapped a button to toggle reverses and it acts perfectly well. 

Just one remark, because it's not quite clear in the changes' notifications (for me in any case) : to toggle the brakes, you have to manually (with the mouse) pull down the locker ON THE GROUND (not on landing of course) and then, you can use normally your foot controller as well as the "V" button.

Cheers,

Daniel.

Edit : sorry, we have the same xp11 version ! So, let the dev investigate what is the problem with your configuration...

Edited by danhenri
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just checked my setup, I have X-plane 11 installed in Steam

"Beta version NONE-Opt out of all beta programs"

Perhaps this is only a problem existing in the Steam verison? 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Rico,

Those are some odd things you're seeing, haven't seen most of that, except maybe the EGT being low and start locks.  Austin really changed up the turboprop model in V11 (even a few times SINCE V11 release) and the EGT model just "went south" for the MU2.   I did not quite see that one coming but also did not want to delay a V11 release for all the customers swapping over.  As usual, we'll continue to refine it (once I figure out what the heck Austin did and code up a workaround)....I have had zero luck getting it (the EGT) to behave via Planemaker.

The feathered propeller on shutdown is what it is for the moment.  I had some rudimentary code for it working in V10, but the latest engine changes by Austin have nixed that.  The only way to fix it, best I can tell at the moment, is for a complete overwrite of the engine code, including fuel and prop governors and that is a big enough effort to have to wait until a V2.0.  

I'll look into the lever behaviors and overspeed....Austins darn engine model change for Pratt & Whitneys really is a thorn in the Moo's side.

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, danhenri said:

@PilotNL

Hello,

I have not these issues with the regular version of XP11 : that's because you loaded the beta one. I get an oil temperature around 50 °C  ; throttle and prop are moving normally. What I noticed is that you cannot move the throttle up and down manually with the mouse. But it doesn't matter for me, as I have mapped a button to toggle reverses and it acts perfectly well. 

Just one remark, because it's not quite clear in the changes' notifications (for me in any case) : to toggle the brakes, you have to manually (with the mouse) pull down the locker ON THE GROUND (not on landing of course) and then, you can use normally your foot controller as well as the "V" button.

Cheers,

Daniel.

Edit : sorry, we have the same xp11 version ! So, let the dev investigate what is the problem with your configuration...

You should be able to move the throttles with the mouse, I do it almost exclusively.  It was actually the first thing I got to work WAY back when 3D cockpit interaction came about as I didn't have any joystick :P

You are correct about the brakes.  You have to toggle the "parking brake" lever below the yoke first..and then can work either hardware or the 'V'/'B' buttons.

Small FYI tidbit.... For YEARS, Austin has only three braking variables...two for hardware toe brakes, left/right, and one for what he calls the "parking brake".   If you have no pedal hardware, then the two toe brake datarefs don't get used, leaving you with only one dataref for braking....except in the MU2, it was possible to apply the toe brakes, "V"/"B" keys....while still forgetting you left the parking brake on, just like a car...happened all the time to me in the real thing.  This made for a major headache trying to code up braking logic and also animate everything correctly.  I think it still catches a few folks off-guard though.

Edited by tkyler
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A thought ...MAYBE....I have seen this.  If you activated the Moo via the X-Aviation dialog, and it activates and you try to operate it immediately after activation, which is going to be a normal activity for lots of folks....then it could be that some things don't quite work due to such a unique initialization moment (i.e XA activation vs. reloading the aircraft or having XP reset it). As much as I've tried to cover every initializtion scenario...its a complex enough state configuration 'mid simulation' vs a X-Plane 'start simulation' when you tell X-Plane to reload the aircraft.   It seems to be a one time thing at the moment after activation.  I tend to reload the aircraft instinctively after activations (probably a habit after years of development and seeing this phenomenon) and go from there.  If issues still persist after a aircraft (or flight) reload, then we still need to investigate stuffs.

Edited by tkyler
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a FYI.   I just installed 1.8, I haven’t flown it yet but during installation it uninstalled Icarus piaggo avanti freeware. Did this happen to anyone else?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tkyler said:

You should be able to move the throttles with the mouse, I do it almost exclusively.  

Hello Tom,

Sorry, but I cannot... I disabled my throttle hardware and also a lua script that I use for the J Rollon's JS32. Without effect.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this made it into the release notes, but for PilotEdge users, the TX selector for COM1/COM2 works correctly now.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to see this bird get updated for XP11 - it has always been one of my favorites. To me, the Mu-2 was one of the first aircraft that demonstrated just how deep AND beautiful X-Plane aircraft could be back (nearly 10 years ago?!?) when some of us really started migrating to X-Plane. I really think it was one of the original ground breaking aircraft that has really held its own over the years. I wrote one of my first review articles about the Mu-2 for PC Pilot back in early 2009...

Anyway..I enjoyed taking her for a spin today..

ad0c8b9ba55aaacc678dcbc3faa1dbba480ff128

af25cc8892b489b1906fdefac9cefca262e94139

b358c33e4ab0b60504a806ade22391fd93b4d054

ec575f305c7903f463695af68298d48678ac6bed

45855eef614b320321dd25dacb1fde84e6eb94af

969f5b6f6f4783ce90bb76314ba77bfc84296b48

 

Great job and looking forward to the future...

BeachAV8R

 

mu2post1.jpg

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome and thanks, love the new cockpit.

@ BeachAV8R , what's the scenery please? And your review made me buy the plane, thanks very much as I put the most hours on it of any plane in my hanger.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok I've tried a fresh restart and the same issues. 

Also I cannot move the power levers with the mouse, even when I have no hardware assigned.

Also flight idle needs to be adjusted, I managed to get airborne with the power levers in flight idle and the condition levers at Taxi. :D

Still all very flyable and enjoyable though, just a bit noisy on the ground with the props in max (or overspeed) RPM :)

A few months ago I have made a mod for the freeware Fokker F.27 so it can work in Xplane 11. It has Dart 528 engines which are not the same as the MU2, but they have some similarities such as a single shaft geared propeller drive and start locks. Feel free to have a look at it in plane maker and see if you find anything useful, no additional coding was required to make it work. 

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/39117-mod-20-for-fokker-f27-600/

Good luck and thanks for the updates!

Rico

 

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, danhenri said:

Sorry, but I cannot... I disabled my throttle hardware and also a lua script that I use for the J Rollon's JS32. Without effect.

 

Do you have any hardware at all installed by chance?  ...anything with a throttle on it?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, PilotNL said:

Hello Cameron,

I have just installed the Mu2 v.1.8

My X-Plane version is  11.05r2 (build 110501 64-bit

I have noticed the following and I am asking if this is a problem with my setup or with the aircraft.

  • The the condition levers in taxi, the power levers cannot be moved to the ground range
  • With the condition levers just above taxi, I can set ground idle, but the propeller RPM increases to over 100% (prop RPM should not increase until in reverse)
  • With the power levers in flight idle, the parking brake is insufficiently strong to maintain position.
  • EGT during start looks OK, after start, through the whole range of power settings EGT is way too low. see screenshot attached.
  • Oil temperature is way too low
  • When I shutdown the engine with the correct procedure, (run-crank-stop switch to stop, reverse past 50%rpm) the prop moves to feather instead of the start locks.

So when I ignore the engine RPM, and I leave the condition levers at max RPM when not airborne, the aircraft is flyable. but there is definately something wrong with it.

Looking forward to your reply,

 

Many thanks,  Rico van Dijk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ricovandijk/

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

X-Plane Screenshot 2017.10.26 - 10.12.26.35.png

X-Plane Screenshot 2017.10.26 - 10.19.23.79.png

Just for the record, I bought this beautiful plane yesterday and I'm having the same issues. I thought I was doing something wrong until I read this forum. 

Look forward to the solution.

Thanks.

Edited by garywin
typo
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what is your hardware setup...and which issue are you having?   some?  all?

-tkyler

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tkyler said:

what is your hardware setup...and which issue are you having?   some?  all?

-tkyler

Sorry, I should have expanded a little more. I'm having the following issues;

I cannot move the power levers into ground range. They will however go into ground range if I engage the reversers

The ground idle sets the RPM at 100%

Taxi is at breakneck speed, and I need the brakes on almost full to keep the speed down - I assume due to the above

I have X52 Pro set up.

As I said, first outing with the plane and maybe doing something wrong, but I did watch tutorial style videos and think I'm following correctly (

Thanks !

EDIT : Having re-watched a couple of videos, I think my main issue is that I cannot get the levers into the Ground / Beta range. I assume the lightning fast taxi speed is due to the levers being always on flight idle.

Edited by garywin
A bit more info
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Saitek X52 too.

But I can move normally the throttle with it. I just can't move the throttle  (both of them) with the mouse.

Thank's fo investigate...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got a quick take off. Props dont go back into reverse in ground idle, so to taxi one need to put them to full, than you can switch to beta and she taxis fine, The EGT sems to behave , went high on start than settled at around 15 to 20 one teh gauge, not sure if that is normal. So far everything else seems normal.

 

some viewing

Engine test MU2

MU2 taxi

 

Notice props in ground idle while throttle in beta.

Edited by mjrhealth
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few things.   If you have a joystick installed, you won't be able to work the throttles with the mouse.  I used to support this (sort of).  But given three ways to work the throttles,  mouse | hardware | command keys.....it was very very difficult to keep all in sync with animation.  If you alternated between joystick and mouse, then you would get "out of sync" isssues....so I just clamped down on trying to do it all and said, "if someone hooks up hardware, they want to use that hardware....no mouse"  I may change my mind, I'm a better coder now than I was when I first attempted supporting all three. 

"Ground range" is reverse....KIND OF.  The MU2 only has two control modes, "prop control" and "beta control"....and reverse is simple that portion of "beta control" where the thrust vector points forward...which is somewhere between ground idle and reverse on the throttle throw.  There exists some point of throttle position between ground and reverse where thrust vector will be near zero.  The reverse light was put up on the panel in response to a few folks who wanted to set their joystick up in planemaker where you can map the throw of the joystick throttle to the total throw of the quadrant....meaning all the way 'back' was full revese.  The challenge in this case, is joysticks don't have detents so it was very very difficult to know when you were going into beta range...and on final approach, this is really no good, so by having that light there, it let folks know when the were right at that detent.  Labeling it "reverse" is a bit misleading though...might should change that to 'beta'.

There's another rub with X-Plane flight model...when you go into beta, the  "reverse light lights up".....and the RPM will go to 100%.  This is a "X-Plane-ism" that Austin implements when the plane is in reverse...and falls under the category of "Tom needs to override the entire engine model to model the MU2 engines correctly, including prop locks and fuel governor...and oh yea, also a prop governor algorithm"...and all that will have to wait till V2.0 as its quite a bit involved.

So we have to live with some of these 'isms' of x-plane in the process.  Once on the takeoff roll,  You don't notice these.

As far as moving into ground range, try hitting the '/' key to go into reverse, (reverse light lights up) and then advance the throttle on your joystick....that will make the quadrant throttle lever go towards full reverse....and you generally taxi in this range.  You MAY have to go in/out of reverse during taxi and this is VERY real....I've done it myself dozens of times in the real thing.....we literally go in and out of beta/reverse to manage taxi speed.  We get to  much speed....go into reverse....we slow down, we go out of beta.....we get too fast...etc.

-tkyler

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mjrhealth said:

The EGT sems to behave , went high on start than settled at around 15 to 20 one teh gauge, not sure if that is normal

EGT going high is normal during starts as the engine accelerates towards idle...when it gets close to idle values, the fuel controller cuts back on the fuel and the EGT drops....BUT it drops too low per X-Plane's model.   This needs an override by me in code to match it exactly.

-tkyler

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mjrhealth said:

Notice props in ground idle while throttle in beta.

For anybody else who may have this type of question......of all the things we have control over in X-Plane, Austin's engine model is the least customizable and requires an entire override/rewrite to modify significantly.  Overriding the engine model means writing a feedback loop fuel controller and prop governor.....neither of which control schemes are available to the public.

Austin, owning a PT-6 powered airplane, has spent a considerable amount of time tuning that engine type in X-Plane, but has not put the same love into modelling Garretts (fixed shaft)....and to make things a big worse, some of the PT-6 related characteristics have spilled over into the fixed-shaft model that the MU2 uses. Austin has expressed desire to do the Garrett, but needs some 'Garrett time' to do so....no clue when that will happen. 

I have made the choice to live with all the engine inaccuracies on this version of the Moo....being that it all kind of "goes away" once on the takeoff roll....and a V2.0 is the target for a proper engine/sound model.  So either Austin gets to it first or I do and I have no idea how that will turn out :)   Only that I've maintained the MU2 for over 10 years, with free updates and I will continue to do so (maintain).  Though don't get all excited, 2.0 will be a paid update.  My ROI ran out a long time ago on this one!

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tkyler said:

For anybody else who may have this type of question......of all the things we have control over in X-Plane, Austin's engine model is the least customizable and requires an entire override/rewrite to modify significantly.  Overriding the engine model means writing a feedback loop fuel controller and prop governor.....neither of which control schemes are available to the public.

Austin, owning a PT-6 powered airplane, has spent a considerable amount of time tuning that engine type in X-Plane, but has not put the same love into modelling Garretts (fixed shaft)....and to make things a big worse, some of the PT-6 related characteristics have spilled over into the fixed-shaft model that the MU2 uses. Austin has expressed desire to do the Garrett, but needs some 'Garrett time' to do so....no clue when that will happen. 

I have made the choice to live with all the engine inaccuracies on this version of the Moo....being that it all kind of "goes away" once on the takeoff roll....and a V2.0 is the target for a proper engine/sound model.  So either Austin gets to it first or I do and I have no idea how that will turn out :)   Only that I've maintained the MU2 for over 10 years, with free updates and I will continue to do so (maintain).  Though don't get all excited, 2.0 will be a paid update.  My ROI ran out a long time ago on this one!

-tkyler

Hi,

Brand new customer as of yesterday.  Thanks for all of your work with this beauty!

Two questions for you....I bought 1.8 because of its compatibility with XP11.  So, whenever 2.0 comes out, I'll have to pay again to get the enhancements?  Since this newest version is only for XP11, why not make this V2 and give free enhancements moving forward?

The second question applies to the pressurization procedure...before T/O, should I simply set the pressurization to my filed altitude and then on descent,set it to field elevation + 1000ft? Is there preferred way to manage it?

 

Thanks again,

Dave

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boevad said:

Hi,

Brand new customer as of yesterday.  Thanks for all of your work with this beauty!

Two questions for you....I bought 1.8 because of its compatibility with XP11.  So, whenever 2.0 comes out, I'll have to pay again to get the enhancements?  Since this newest version is only for XP11, why not make this V2 and give free enhancements moving forward?

The second question applies to the pressurization procedure...before T/O, should I simply set the pressurization to my filed altitude and then on descent,set it to field elevation + 1000ft? Is there preferred way to manage it?

 

Thanks again,

Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for purchasing.   Existing customers will have to pay for the upgrade, but it will be at a discounted price, certainly not a full price....so in essence, you (and all previous customers) are paying for the new work.  You won't be paying for the same thing though, because what I envision as a V2.....the current one is no where near it!  It will be quite some time yet before a V2 comes out.

For pressurization, basically you set the cabin alt to whatever you want to....but should understand the implications.  If you set cabin altitude to zero...or some field elevation, say 750', then the max altitude you can go will be in the little window at the bottom of the pressurization panel, (17,500 in this example).   At that max altitude, the pressure on the cabin/fuselage will be the max allowed for the structure.   In such a case (17.5k), you're really stressing out the fuselage (possibly shortening life), in exchange for maintaining a really low (and therefore more comfortable) cabin altitude.  If you need to fly higher than 17.5k in this example, then you'll have to up the cabin altitude setting, which lowers the pressure on the fuse and allows you to climb a bit higher (but increasing the pressure back up towards max allowed).  At the max cabin altitude setting of 10k, the max altitude you can go (where cabin psi is max allowed) is 30k...which about the ceiling of the MU2....so whats the preferred way to manage it?

In the real thing, we would generally set the cabin altitude to 6k or 7k, and cruise anywhere up to 24k.  6k/7k cabin altitude is not terribly uncomfortable, no headaches or dizziness probably.   since its a sim though and we don't worry about the fuselage breaking or being uncomfortable, you can just set the cabin alt to 10k and call it a day.   If you want to be more realistic, its hard to say, because a pilot who suffers no ill effects at 10k would just set cabin altitude to 10k and guarantee he's stressing the airframe at the very minimum.   When I flew, we rarely went over 14k (short distance hops is why), and just set the cabin altitude to 5k.  For cross-country longer than 2 hours, where I may get about 20k, I may set the cabin alt @7k.

If you were a charter operation though and had paying passengers, you may set the cabin altitude to 5k or 6k to keep em happy......and only increase cabin pressure if you had to for whatever reason...maybe ATC told you to climb or something....in which case you'd get on the PA and tell the passengers they may encounter some ear popping as you dialed the cabin alt up to 10k and start to climb....and if they don't like it, they can fly with some other outfit.

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.