Spoilers in replay Instantly Popping Up

Torbinator

Hi guys,

I clipped a video to show one of my landing replays to help highlight a bug where the spoilers pop up rather than deploy realistically.  As many might agree, we like to watch landings on replay from various angles as we pretend to be airline pilots, and watching the spoilers deploy realistically adds to the enjoyment!

I hope this video helps. It was made in XP 11.05, but this problem existed in XP 10.51 as well.

Edited by Morten

• 1 month later...

I have seen them behave both ways in both versions - never able to nail down why they sometimes pop, sometimes move smoothly.

We had to make a custom logic for the spoilers - LR´s default model of autospoilers and roll spoilers simply does not cut it. Therefore we can not use the default flight-control surfaces, which "replay" captures during the normal flight. So we have to "record" the position of the spoilers with our code, and that is not as trivial as it sounds and leads to this quirky behaviour.

Jan

Thanks Litjan for the information. Here's a video I've made that shows some interesting things on a landing replay... Sorry about the bad quality. Is recorded from screen with my phone.

This is from XP11.05 and spoilers deploy great. Other things I've noticed is the weird deployment, as this is a little hard landing with some bouncing, they partially deploy at first touch down, but not totally deploy until the seccond contact. I don't know if this is correct. But the reaplay looks amazing. :)

Another thing I've noticed is that main gear wheels don't create almost smoke on touchdown and nose wheels shows more smoke than main wheels. In real life main wheels smoke on a 737 is clearly visible.

Well, the "two step" deployment you see is realistic - at the first touch you can see the flight-spoilers deploy (wheel spin-up) and on the second you can see the ground-spoilers deploy as well (they need main gear strut compression to come out).

The wheels are not something we mess with - the amount of smoke is done by Laminar Research and beyond our control.

Jan

I noticed that the deployment during replay depends on the state of your spoilers before starting the replay mode. Unless I kept the spoilers in the UP position (spoiler lever down), they would popup during replay.

Not sure if this observation is valid or just "pure luck"...

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

18 hours ago, Litjan said:

Well, the "two step" deployment you see is realistic - at the first touch you can see the flight-spoilers deploy (wheel spin-up) and on the second you can see the ground-spoilers deploy as well (they need main gear strut compression to come out).

The wheels are not something we mess with - the amount of smoke is done by Laminar Research and beyond our control.

Jan

Thanks Jan for the additional information. I've seen similar partial spoilers extensions on bumpy landings in real world videos. But I was not sure about the logic involved on it. Now with your explanation about wheel spin and gear strut full compression, makes total sense.

This makes me amaze even more about the level of detail involved in the IXEG 737. As it reproduce all this logic perfectly (except sometimes on replays). :)

Yesterday I did further testing, and the spoilers animation was perfect during replay mode on XP11.10. I've still not found any explanation why sometimes work, sometimes don't.

There is a deliberate delay on the outboard ground spoilers in real (1,25s).  The reason is that airliner wings (supercritical airfoils, or aft loaded wings) have a larger portion of the lift on the wing trailing end (further aft than a conventional wing).  So when the spoilers deploy, center of lift moves significantly forward, this will cause an UP pitching moment that *can* result in a tail strike.  So by putting in a delay, the nose will be on its way down when this happens and reduces the chances.

Edited by Morten
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dreamboy said:

Yesterday I did further testing, and the spoilers animation was perfect during replay mode on XP11.10. I've still not found any explanation why sometimes work, sometimes don't.

...and if you find out, I would be interested, too. It may have to do with framerate (recording interval) or with the length of the previous flight (amount of storage space for recorded data) - but that is total guesswork on my side.

Cheers, Jan

• 5 months later...