Trouble taking off

Gentfam

I have recently purchased the Saab 340 and it looks good, but, though I have followed the instructions to the letter, I can't manage to get it to take off. I accelerate carefully to 60% of full speed and then the emergency warning light comes on saying "configuration error". I have tried to take off anyway to see what happens, but I go up about 10 feet and just come down again! I must have missed something important, but cannot work out what. Any ideas gratefully received. If it helps, I enclose the log and gizmo files.

Brian

(PS I put this in the general help thread, but perhaps that was the wrong place)

GizmoLog.txt

Log.txt

Bria

Configuration error, tipically indicates flap are not set, or trim is not set on the takeoff range. Did you double check that?

Aircraft feeling as if no power and refusing to climb means you surely moved the condition levers all the way forward which is T/M, pay attention that just a bit before the end of the travel there is like a detent which is MAX and the correct position for the aircraft to produce torque.

hope this helps

Hi, again. I have tried; the condition levers are now correct and I don't get the red warning any more. But I still come crashing down at the end of the runway. I am going to have to try and better understand the trim in the takeoff range part. It doesn't seem as if the trim levers do anything when you turn on them. I have a trim button on my joystick and have tried clicking that up a couple of times, but it doesn't seem to be actually making any difference. I'm a bit fed up after crashing another 4 times, but will keep trying....

When you are aligned to the runway ready to start the take off roll, can you make a few screen captures for me to see your aircraft configuration?

-Entire overhead panel

-Entire forward panel

-pedestal, to see CLs, and CTOT configuration?

note: it will be also very usefull if you are approaching the end of the runway unable to take off and you can also do a forward panel screen capture, i want to see all engine parameters and displays at that moment

having all that should be easier to understand what you are missing and giving you proper direction

9 hours ago, Gentfam said:

Hi, again. I have tried; the condition levers are now correct and I don't get the red warning any more. But I still come crashing down at the end of the runway. I am going to have to try and better understand the trim in the takeoff range part. It doesn't seem as if the trim levers do anything when you turn on them. I have a trim button on my joystick and have tried clicking that up a couple of times, but it doesn't seem to be actually making any difference. I'm a bit fed up after crashing another 4 times, but will keep trying....

Please try the tutorial included with the package.  It gets you familiar with quite a lot of the aircraft.

Thanks to all for your help. I found the necessary controls to raise the trim and actually managed to take off! I think the engines are fine now as I did a circuit of the airport and landed, though the passengers would have been pretty sick.

To Goran; I did go through the tutorial flight very carefully, except that I used a different airport (Northern Scotland, where I want to fly). I didn't realise that there was this point beyond max on the condition levers. Also, though the trim was within the green zone, it worked better when I raised it to just over half way up the zone. Then I managed to take off albeit a bit shakily.

I think I now just need to practice smooth and level flight and familiarise myself better with the autopilot controls.

Thanks again

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update: I am doing much better now. Since you explained about the throttle setting, I have made several flights and took off and landed more or less successfully. My only slight problem now is switching on the autopilot after takeoff. I have to move down to do this and cannot at that moment keep an eye on the controls governing the vertical and horizontal movement which have had hairy results sometimes. Still I will persevere!

Thanks again for your help

Brian

29 minutes ago, Gentfam said:

Quick update: I am doing much better now. Since you explained about the throttle setting, I have made several flights and took off and landed more or less successfully. My only slight problem now is switching on the autopilot after takeoff. I have to move down to do this and cannot at that moment keep an eye on the controls governing the vertical and horizontal movement which have had hairy results sometimes. Still I will persevere!

Thanks again for your help

Brian

Cool, glad to have helped.

You may map any key or button of your liking to command 'LES/CMD/APCP/lever/AP_engage_disengage', this will allow you to engage the A/P after takeoff without rotating the camera down to the pedestal.

You may also map a key or button of your liking to command 'LES/CMD/CW/button/AP_disconnect', this will mimc you are pressing the a/p disc red button located on the real aircraft yokes pilots use on final approach to disconnect a/p without removing the hand in command from the yoke. Remember to press twice:

-first clic to disconnect and you will hear an audible alarm A/P to know a/p is going off

-a second clic will clear the alarm

hope this helps

On 11/11/2017 at 10:37 PM, mmerelles said:

LES/CMD/APCP/lever/AP_engage_disengage

Thanks for this. I tried it out, by giving the command ctrl/a to it, but it doesn't seem to work, as you need to hold it down for a bit in  order for it to work, and it doesn't seem to like that; it only wants a momentary contact which isn't enough to trigger it. Yet I am getting better and managing quite good landings now. Just need to keep better control of the straight line at take off.

Thanks again

B