Stall

wain

I had my aircraft stall earlier.. I had the following settings... 

FL340 in the flightplan. 

ZFW 47.2

Fuel 8.4

LFPO TO EGGD

Atc stepped me up to 280 then told me to go to 340 however at 31800 she just wasn't able to climb anymore... 

Stall then happened which I surprised myself and recovered at 13500ft approx.. Then XP crashed.. Gutted couldn't complete.. 

Was this stall because I overloaded?.. Is there somewhere that says over X weight I can only go to Y height?.. 

Found the whole episode very immersive and had such a grip on controls.. 

Wayne 

You had a grossweight of 55.6 tons - that is close to the maximum takeoff weight. The aircraft should be able to go to a maximum altitude of FL350 at that weight, so 340 should have been possible. It sounds like you didn´t manage your engines or airspeed during the climb correctly - we would need a bit more information (as Morten said) to find out why the plane stalled.

Cheers, Jan

Here is a pic of my 737 climbing with ECON speed (Mach 0.73) at the same weight:

733.jpg

My guess is that you failed to switch to MACH during the climb - eventually the IAS is equal to MMO (maximum MACH no.) and the plane will use all of its energy to "push" against the subsonic boundary and eventually stall due to MACH effects (airflow stalling).

Maybe you also got too slow - this will also kill your climb rate.

Jan

• Upvote 1

Right, what happened was you ran out of thrust because your commanded climb-rate was too high for the altitude (wrong AP mode). This leads to high AoA, which leads to more drag, IAS decreases and you end in a stall.

The higher you fly and closer to max altitude for the current weight, the less margin you have for airspeed to drop and you just don't have the thrust to recover.  A bit like AF447.

Edited by Morten
  • Upvote 2