Why the 2D Slides instead of 3D clouds?

fehrster

Back at version 3.2 we could enjoy real volumetric clouds. e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQQrHQlI-c (e.g. from Minute 27:00 - this looks absolutley stunning)

now with the latest version 4.6 e.g. (from min. 6:38)

we have 2D Slides everywhere. Especially with wide panels it´s far away from version 3.2. Is this all about performance? When panning around the view at an field of view of 115°; the 2D Slides are getting crazy and are turning in all directions.

In my opinion this is 2 steps backwards but only one forward. there have been many other improvements, but i really don´t like to fly through 2D images.

It's just a matter of settings. Set the cumulus clouds to "fast" and the stratiform clouds to "dense particles" and you'll get the cloud style you prefer back.

We changed the default representation because a lot of customers were telling us how much better a more 2D approach is! We can't make everyone happy out of the box, but we do provide settings that let you make the product your own.

Edited by sundog

• 2 weeks later...

thx for your answer. i´ve done a lot of testing and was wondering, why my cloud representation was so unreal. there weren´t enough cloud-parts. just one picture. no volume.

now i found out, that the testing of the "Rendering Options" from the .org forum messed up my rendering settings, even though i had unistalled it and re-downloaded xplane 11.

After a clean Installation it all works fine, and i´m happy with your standard configuration (i also like the other settings). Although some clouds are turning. But now i have much more parts in one cloud- so the effect is not so strong.

as always: the user is the main problem

thx for your help

• Upvote 1