SkyMaxx Pro v4.6 Has Been Released

Cameron

5 minutes ago, Cameron said:

Glad you got it sorted!

Although, this raises a different issue which I'd only just now thought about. I also recently discovered (by trial-and-error) that Gizmo seemingly causes conflicts with my Thranda Quest Kodiak, and which is why I have been disabling Gizmo when not flying my Saab 340A. However, I also did not notice that doing so is problematic for RWC. I'm guessing that I'm out of luck here, but do you happen to know of any way around this conflict?

Edited by kentwerickson

1 minute ago, kentwerickson said:

Although, this raises a different issue which I'd only just now thought about. I also recently discovered (by trial-and-error) that Gizmo seemingly causes conflicts with my Thranda Quest Kodiak, and which is why I have been disabling Gizmo when not flying my Saab 340A. However, I also did not notice that doing so is problematic for RWC. I'm guessing that I'm out of luck here, but do you happen to know of any way around this conflict?

You would be out of luck by disabling, yes. You would not only be disabling SkyMaxx Pro, but also Real Weather Connector in the process. When you disable SkyMaxx, default clouds take over. The config panel still works, but the SkyMaxx Pro clouds do not render.

I haven't received any e-mails about a Kodiak issue, but out of curiosity, what happens?

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Cameron said:

You would be out of luck by disabling, yes. You would not only be disabling SkyMaxx Pro, but also Real Weather Connector in the process. When you disable SkyMaxx, default clouds take over. The config panel still works, but the SkyMaxx Pro clouds do not render.

I haven't received any e-mails about a Kodiak issue, but out of curiosity, what happens?

Hmm. Curious. Because when I first starting disabling Gizmo, I'd swear that I was still seeing SMP clouds (though my memory, let us say, is less than perfect). With respect to the Kodiak, XP(10) will crash if on startup the Kodiak is selected. However, if I start XP with a different plane, say the default 172, and then load the Kodiak there is no problem (hope that's clear enough). There was one other problem/symptom which escapes at the moment, but when I disabled Gizmo both of these problems went away. Btw, when I first notice issues with the Kodiak, I recalled having heard Dan Klaue (once upon a time) complaining about Gizmo causing conflicts with SASL, which first gave me the idea of disabling Gizmo (and just for the record, I take no stance regarding Dan's criticisms of Gizmo).

Edited by kentwerickson

I'd swear that I was still seen SMP clouds

I can assure you that such is not the case.

I recalled having heard Dan Klaue (once upon a time) complaining about Gizmo causing conflicts with SASL, which first gave me the idea of disabling Gizmo (and just for the record, I take no stance regarding Dan's criticisms of Gizmo).

Gizmo has had no direct clashes with SASL since 2012. Dan loves to use this as an excuse, but if I'm going to call a spade a spade, we can chalk this one up to bad coding on his part.

There are plenty of other SASL add-ons that co-exist just fine. Dan's just being lazy and placing blame where he sees fit because he likes to whine. This is normal for him. :)

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Cameron said:

I can assure you that such is not the case.

Gizmo has had no direct clashes with SASL since 2012. Dan loves to use this as an excuse, but if I'm going to call a spade a spade, we can chalk this one up to bad coding on his part.

There are plenty of other SASL add-ons that co-exist just fine. Dan's just being lazy and placing blame where he sees fit because he likes to whine. This is normal for him. :)

Well, all I know is that when I disable Gizmo my Kodiak problems go away. But okay, fair enough -- thanks for clarifying, and again thanks also for your support.

Edited by kentwerickson

2 minutes ago, kentwerickson said:

Well, all I know is that when I disable Gizmo my Kodiak problems go away. But okay, fair enough -- thanks for clarifying.

Just because you disable Gizmo to rid a conflict that someone who created the conflict is not willing to fix, does not mean Gizmo is at fault.

You're faced with a trade-off now. Kodiak or SkyMaxx Pro + RWC. Who you choose to be finger pointing over it will be up to you, but I can tell you if it's faced this direction it's the wrong way. ;)

We spearheaded all SASL related issues 5 years ago. Like I said, Dan loves to do this blame game, but I'm not going to let that fly here. He's wrong (and he knows it).

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

I watched the LR live stream on You-Tube the other day. They mentioned that upon the release of Vulkan ( is Vulkin released within X-Plane v11.30? ) The upcoming update introduces massive changes to the codebase that rendering weather programs like this one might be effected and not work as effectively or work at all. So my questions are.  undoubtedly you'll have to make some changes / patch to your cloud rendering and rain etc... Is this something your able to work on now,  or has LR not given you the necessary code to look at? Will you even be able to patch this Addon? If so will any new version of Skymaxx Pro be a free update to us who have the SMP & RWC since version 4. Or will it be considered a new product thus requiring us to purchase the weather program again? Hopefully the real wtx connector won't be affected.

Thanks

Dave.

Re-writing SkyMaxx Pro to use Vulkan is a massive undertaking. I haven't seen this live stream nor heard anything about Laminar deprecating its existing OpenGL support for plugins in the immediate future. As of now we have not received any betas to test with, so I simply don't know yet. I'll have to ask them directly what's going on as imminent deprecation of the API's we rely on is news to me.

Real Weather Connector itself should be unaffected, but it requires SkyMaxx Pro to work.

Edited by sundog

21 minutes ago, sundog said:

Re-writing SkyMaxx Pro to use Vulkan is a massive undertaking. I haven't seen this live stream not heard anything about Laminar deprecating its existing OpenGL support for plugins in the immediate future. As of now we have not received any betas to test with, so I simply don't know yet. I'll have to ask them directly what's going on as imminent deprecation of the API's we rely on is news to me.

Real Weather Connector itself should be unaffected, but it requires SkyMaxx Pro to work.

Yes. That's what i was affraid of. I'm not a code guy. I know how to install and use lol. But they did mention something about open gl would be gone or effected somehow. They made it a point to state that most add on's such as airplanes won't be affected. But add ons which draw clouds and such will no longer work.

There is an article i read this morning about another weather or related dev program going to the way side because of this  This is the link to that article.

https://www.thresholdx.net/article/xvisnm

Here are the links to the LR Q&A They had a couple of weeks ago.

Pt 1.

Pt2

I'm sorry i do not remember at which point in the videos they speak about Vulkin.  I certainly hope you all will be able to figure something out.

I really enjoy Skymaxx.

Please keep us updated.

Thank you.

Dave.

From what I've been able to gather so far, what's breaking in 11.30 is add-ons that modify X-Plane's built-in shaders.

SkyMaxx Pro doesn't do that, because that's never been something you're supposed to do in the first place. This very well may break other weather add-ons, though.

I have a question in with Laminar for clarification, but my understanding is that SkyMaxx Pro should continue to run in its current form at least until X-Plane 12.

Edited by sundog
  • Like 1

Just to follow up, I heard back from Laminar, and as I thought the only thing that's breaking in 11.30 is add-ons that modify X-Plane's built-in shaders. No Maxx-XP products do that, and so they should continue to work through version 12.

Edited by sundog
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sundog said:

Just to follow up, I heard back from Laminar, and as I thought the only thing that's breaking in 11.30 is add-ons that modify X-Plane's built-in shaders. No Maxx-XP products do that, and so they should continue to work through version 12.

Awesome!. Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know how your add on works. Looks like you planned ahead. Thanks.  Have a good weekend.

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

@sundog
Hi Sundog. So i just recieved a new video card. Gtx1080.  prior to this card i used a second copy of xplane for VR flying.  mainly because it's easier on frames. So with a stronger card i decided to have a go at it on my main XP copy which has Skymax Pro. I can handle the video now, but for some reason SMP is not compatible with VR. You may already be aware of this. Everything has a mirror effect. It's like seeing double. Or how things look when your drunk lol. It's really not a big deal cause your program works flawlessly outside of VR which is what i do 90% of the time.  Figured I'd say something if you were already working on a patch for something. 

Dave.

SkyMaxx Pro is not compatible with VR. We've tried, but we're pretty sure there's a bug within X-Plane itself that prevents 3D plugins such as ours from working properly in VR. I talked to Laminar about it yesterday and we're going to keep working on figuring it out.

If there's something we can do to work around it, we should have a patch out in a reasonable amount of time. But if it's something Laminar has to fix on their end, it's out of our hands. We just don't know for sure yet, but I plan on spending time next week tracking it down.

15 hours ago, sundog said:

SkyMaxx Pro is not compatible with VR. We've tried, but we're pretty sure there's a bug within X-Plane itself that prevents 3D plugins such as ours from working properly in VR. I talked to Laminar about it yesterday and we're going to keep working on figuring it out.

If there's something we can do to work around it, we should have a patch out in a reasonable amount of time. But if it's something Laminar has to fix on their end, it's out of our hands. We just don't know for sure yet, but I plan on spending time next week tracking it down.

Thank you for such a quick responce . I hope you can find a fix. Would be a nice addition to VR flying. Have a nice weekend

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
  • Cameron locked and unpinned this topic