SkyMaxx Pro v4.6 Has Been Released

Cameron

Many users have reported performance gains with SMP 4.6. But as Cameron said, every system is different. If you've exhausted your RAM or VRAM from installing too many other add-ons or custom scenery, or if you've set your X-Plane rendering settings or SMP settings higher than your system can handle, then SMP may not have enough resources to perform well.

I talk about this a bit at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pl4j855W40

Just give it a try; it's easy enough to temporarily enable and disable plugins via the X-Plane Plugin Admin menu.

Edited by sundog

it's all about finding the sweetspot between wiggle room in your system and overloading......seems to work fine to me but I recently re-examined the plugins I was using and removed some I thought were pointless, also I don't use ortho stuff.....pic below of today....it's the same on all flightsims since the year dot you have to play with settings, on P3D before it went v4 I ghad one lot of settings for GA and another for Airliners, less detail etc.....I also have xenviro but I prefer the clouds in SMP so I tend to use that mostly...

EDDT LSZH4.jpg

Just back from my holiday this weekend and FIRST thing I did...Install SMP update.  Again, I applaud you guys (and gals) efforts for a real amazing product. The clouds look better than ever and my frames, well, a bit better throughout but having some post card effects here and there, but I think it may be some of the ortho scenery I have installed.  I'll experiment here and there, but still, in the end, this is a great product...and thanks to you all for hanging in there to address issues and do some fantastic upgrades/updates/additions.  SMP really adds a dimension that puts you in the pilots seat! (hows that for a sales pitch lol, but I do really mean this..bigtime!)

• Upvote 1

HI, for my opinion the clouds are to bright at bad weather, that is not right. Bad weather is bad weather and no Sunshine. White Thunder Clouds I have seen still ever. That is from beginning of SkyMaxx a problem. All other is much better as previously. Can it be fixed? Can I do it self and when yes how I can do it.?

Bell 407_2.png

It looks like maybe you have the time of day set to dawn or dusk, which is increasing the contrast between the clouds and the sky. Choosing a brighter sky color set would help to reduce that contrast and make the clouds appear less bright.

Your scene shows some scattered cumulus congestus clouds with a cumulonimbus or towering cumulus cloud developing amongst them.

I'm not sure how you're generating your weather, but if you were in an area that was reporting overcast conditions with rain I think the scene would look more like what you want.

Conditions like this  do indeed happen. For example here's a reference shot I took while developing these clouds.20170628_195019.jpg

Edited by sundog
  • Upvote 1

The Clouds are very good, but I think it is like you say, I'll set it differently. SkyMaxx is definitiv better like in old times, much, much, better.:)

Thank you for support! By the way I have more fun with SMP as with XE, is a matter of taste. I have more options and SMP is NR.1 - again Nr.1 with this new Version.

Performance is much better thats my realy opinion. With SMP the Sky looks like Soft Ice, no matter what for weather, always tasty!:lol:

• Upvote 1

When I look at these clouds, I just wonder how it is possible to have 4 different sky colors (I'm using the default set).

On top it's already like it's the blue hour.

In the middle the sun is till way above the horizon.

Just underneath it's blue like it's noon. 

And near the ground it's already the evening with the last lights of the day barely visible.

not seeing your issue, I am using Hosie Wilkie set, seems ok, I have been able to watch cloud formations slide on by, however I do occasionally get a large redraw of clouds, would like to know if there is a setting to change this? I fault the RWC setting not to change visiable clouds was for that but I may be wrong....done around 8 lights in 4.6 now and for me at least performance has improved on 4.5 , however all PC's are so different along with each persons XP setup....

Nothing changed in 4.6 with regards to cloud formations, unless it's a storm system. I suspect you're flying around a corner of one of X-Plane's one-degree tile boundaries. When you cross one of the boundaries, X-Plane changes its internal coordinate system and we need to re-generate the clouds that surround you.

Also, make sure "never change visible weather" is activated in RWC if you're using it and flying with real world weather. Otherwise, the culprit may be some third-party weather injector you're using that's updating the weather too frequently.

SMP provides a variety of sky color sets if the one you're using isn't to your liking. Our Hosek-Wilkie model is the most accurate, but we're forced to blend it with X-Plane's own sky near the horizon in order to smoothly blend into X-Plane's haze and fog effects. I would imagine this could lead to some inconsistencies in some situations. If that's a deal-breaker for you, try one of the other sky color sets or the default setting.

Edited by sundog
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, wain said:

when you say RWC checked off , do you mean ticked? not using nothing except your stuff and XP11, so whatever you use...I guess you may be answering post above mine though....

Sorry for the confusion; I was answering branislavmilic's posts. By "checked off" I mean the never change visible weather option should be activated. Guess I should edit the post to be more clear.

Your log doesn't actually show a crash of X-Plane, 777-300. I don't see how SkyMaxx Pro could cause an issue with your aircraft.

I'd suggest installing the latest update to your 767 if you don't have the most recent version. Sometimes old versions of SASL (which is probably part of your aircraft package) can cause trouble.

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys.  Appreciate the help. No more long haul with the 767 for now. I haven't received a response from  Flight Factor when they will update the SASL on the 767. I've only had the aircraft for a week or so. They tell me I am using the most updated version. Of course these crashes always  occur when you are the 3/4 of the way.

Edited by 777-300
typo

• 4 months later...

Hi folks,

I recently did a fresh XP10 install under the latest build of Windows 10, including a fresh install of SMP v4.6 and RWC v1.1 (using X-Aviation's respective installers). Installation seems to have completed successfully. However, the SMP plugin menu no longer shows configuration options for RWC. Rather, the three menu items shown are 1. Configure Clouds, 2. Configure Precipitation, and 3. More from Maxx-XP. According to my Plugin Admin, RWC is running. I've tested this will all other plugins/scripts disabled and see the same result. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

5 minutes ago, kentwerickson said:

Hi folks,

I recently did a fresh XP10 install under the latest build of Windows 10, including a fresh install of SMP v4.6 and RWC v1.1 (using X-Aviation's respective installers). Installation seems to have completed successfully. However, the SMP plugin menu no longer shows configuration options for RWC. Rather, the three menu items shown are 1. Configure Clouds, 2. Configure Precipitation, and 3. More from Maxx-XP. According to my Plugin Admin, RWC is running. I've tested this will all other plugins/scripts disabled and see the same result. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Are you sure you're looking in the right place?

Plugins > SkyMaxx Pro > Real-World Weather is the proper menu sequence.

If you're in the right place, please upload both the Log.txt file and Gizmo Log.txt files from your main X-Plane folder.

4 minutes ago, kentwerickson said:

Oops. Hold tight a sec. I think I may have had Gizmo disabled. Let me try again and report back (and thanks very much for your prompt reply!)

That was it; It's been so long since I've reinstalled these products that I'd forgotten about the dependency on Gizmo. Thanks for you help, and sorry to bother you about this.

• Cameron locked and unpinned this topic