Understanding the hydraulics...

Muchimi

Greetings!  I ran into a first flight and I still have my training wheels on and boy do I need them.  NOOB zone:

I kept on hearing the hydraulic pump running when I first powered on the flight (so battery + on + ground power on).  Turned hydraulic switch it off - back to auto - ran for a bit and stopped.  All good.

Then it went nuts again after engine start.  Did the off/auto thing and good to go again.

Then at some point during taxi I was fiddling with my prop controls on the quadrant and managed to turn off engine 1 by bringing the lever a bit too far down.  That of course killed the left bus which after restart caused me to reset gen 1. The hydraulics went back to on all the time again until the turn off/ back to auto thing.

The manual has one paragraph on hydraulics as to how they work and how to control, but I suspect I'm missing a key ingredient somewhere.

I suspect this has to  either do with the fact I'm running this in the unsupported XP11, but I also suspect given that this isn't an issue reported anywhere I could find, it's more of an operator error as I probably forgot to do something critical.

Please be kind in your responses, and yes, I know XP11 isn't supported (yet), officially.

Hi thanks for the reply.   I did another flight yesterday without the constant-on hydraulics (and by this I don't mean the occasional pump sound, I mean a continuous pump sound that will not stop).   I suspect there was something I missed during the checks.   I like the depth of simulation.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same issue. I had at first one flight after installing into XP11, which went fine without any problems at all. Then, tonight, I decided on doing a bit longer trip (KFAT-KRNO), and from the get-go the hydraulic pump was hyperactive. Not some seconds or minutes and then off, but continous. After turning it off and on again, things were fine for some seconds, or up to a minute or two, then it goes again, with the ever-present humm. This is in addition to some slightly unexpected engine management parameters (with the CTOT engaged). I am using Saitek throttles and while managing the engines during my first flight (in the pattern), the long distance flight was way more erratic, with values in torque and temperature changing in level flight without me commanding it (we're talking for example one engine moving from 80-20% torque with the other remaining at 80, or with both throttling down uncommanded to about 20%, leading to a loss of airspeed. This last bit, I'm not sure if it's a bug or me being a knobhead, but I'm flying it like I did in XP10, and I have not encountered this behaviour before.

Using the Saab v1.4 in XP11 is at your own risk and we will not be addressing any erratic behavior you are experiencing for that version.  We will take these things into consideration for v1.5 and v2.0.  

When reporting these types of issues it would be very helpful if you provide exact steps to recreate the problem (if possible).  It is also important to include your Log.txt and GizmoLog.txt files.