Rejected Take Off procedure

Dear 737 experts,

I would like to learn more about the rejected take off procedure and the function of the RTO knob.

I have read that:

- Below 80 knots: manual braking power shall be used.

- Between 80 knots and up to V1: auto brake will engage.

My question is:

- Does the pilot activate the rejected take off or is it all happening automatically?

- If the pilot does activate, what is the procedure?

Thanks in advance

Sylvain

2 hours ago, Nkmsw8 said:

This is good for me to know also. Do you do manual braking at all during this procedure?

Not if the autobrake is working in RTO mode, as it will apply maximum braking for you. If you should disengage the autobrake accidentially (it could happen during wild steering with the pedals, or just due to startle) you need to apply full manual braking, of course. Just watch the "AUTOBRAKE DISARM" light during the RTO.

Cheers, Jan

Hi!

I have noticed RTO does not brake if AT is activated, which must be when pressing the TOGA button for take off. I displayed the break output values on screen and noticed that RTO only breaks when AT is not engaged. Is this the normal beheaviour?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

2 hours ago, teban13 said:

Hi!

I have noticed RTO does not brake if AT is activated, which must be when pressing the TOGA button for take off. I displayed the break output values on screen and noticed that RTO only breaks when AT is not engaged. Is this the normal beheaviour?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

I just tried this... got mixed results. But there is definitely brake input from RTO with AT activated. I think you should be well over 80 knots before pulling the throttles back.

Strange thing is that the parking brake engages whenever you do an RTO. Is this normal Jan?

You are right, Tom. X-Plane uses one setting for "maximum braking" - this can be toggled by the default button V, it also doubles as the RTO mode of the autobrake AND the parking brake.

From a designer´s standpoint this is cumbersome, but the effect on the brakes is actually the same for all three applications - maximum braking.

Your neck would hurt less in the real plane if you used the parking brake, because the wheels would lock (no antiskid) and the braking deceleration is actually less than in RTO...which is just the same as maximum manual braking.

Cheers, Jan