[Solved]Control yoke off centre + VNAV issues.

Iain

Hi all.

Done a few short flights recently but have a new problem. My understanding is that the startup state is determined by the setting in the preference menu, for me it's on Turn Around.   With 1.1, I notice is doesn't load in this state, it's not in the state I left it in, it's not turnaround or engines on, it seems to be tunraround but with the APU off, on startup there is a constant buzzing sound until you connect ground power.

The next issue is when the aircraft power comes on (ground or apu), the yoke slowly moves to the right with about 10 deg deflection, and this is now the neutral position of the yoke.  I checked my stick and the control location in the data output and can see that the stick is centred. This is really strange and I think this problem may have started during a flight when the plane started banking right in mid flight!

Also, this all started at the same time as I was having problems with VNAV, I couldn't get it to engage, couldn't get heading heading hold to engage, maybe because the yoke was off centre. 

I also tried to change a speed limit below 10'00ft from 250 to 280 (common to do in many places), it worked on previous flight but on this one I got a gizmo pop up error then the FMC wouldn't work correctly anymore.  Maybe this is a VNAV limitation but this has worked before.

Main problem is the yoke movement to the right and the startup state, I think they are linked as the aircraft seems to be starting up in a confused state.  Screenshot below is after selecting read to fly in preference menu.

A (Medium).jpg

Edited by Morten

Hi Ian,

this is a new one... the problems you encounter engaging the autopilot are related to your yoke being off center for sure. We read the joysticks position straight from X-Plane, so I dont think the problem is with our plane - and since you checked your neutral position, the only idea I have is checking for X-Plane random "failures" (make sure you have them off and all systems working). There are things like trim runaway, iirc.

For the start-up state problems I would look to either the settings you select in the X-Plane menu, you can elect to start with "engines off" there, and that would interfere with our settings. The buzz you hear is the IRS warning horn, alerting you that the IRS units are running on battery and IRS R will shut down in 5 minutes or less...

If that does not help, maybe check for incompatibilities with other plugins, things like fly-with-lua and other scripts can interfere if set up not correctly.

If you can recreate the gizmo-pop up error when changing the speed limit I would love to hear the exact steps to do that so we can fix it! There are still some lingering gizmo crashes related to the FMS and we want to stomp as many as possible. Fixing them is not hard - finding them is!

Hope this helps, Jan

Hi Jan

It's fixed, since I have had so many stable flights, and nobody else has any similar issue, it had to be something unique!  A few tests and I find when I active XP Realistic, the yoke moves to the right!  I have assigned the 0 key for this, which is also aileron trim left...doh!   I used to have it assigned to something else, which I will do now. I also found you can find what a key is assigned to in the keyboard menu, which makes it easier to prevent conflicts.   Also want to mention the control delay (from my other recent post), I see now that the yoke follows XP control positions, so the delay I see is actually XP reading the joystick position, not something in the aircraft, I would still like XP to ready my joystick quicker, it seems delayed when moving "fairly" fast to full deflection.  Playing with the control sensitivities doesn't seem to have any effect in this aircraft, I will look into it, no big deal.

Wish I tested a bit more before posting, but thanks for the top notch support as always, especially on a Sunday morning!

Time to get this Jet2 from Basel to Palma this morning!

8 minutes ago, Iain said:

I would still like XP to ready my joystick quicker, it seems delayed when moving "fairly" fast to full deflection.  Playing with the control sensitivities doesn't seem to have any effect in this aircraft, I will look into it, no big deal.

This is intentional.  We did a lot of research and tests on this. The real yoke is much harder to move and is bigger compared to sim hardware. You should not try to change roll sensitivity, roll rates, pitch rates etc if you want realistic behavior and use the recommended sensitivity settings.  But it is off course up to you..

Hi

Sounds like a good flight plan Jan, but BEO in Oz?  I have Ortho for most of the area's I fly, Majorca looks great, will take an island tour in the Commanche from LESB once I am there.  I have flew this route many times in real life (as PAX).

I don't think I will have more issues, the plane was perfect before this yoke problem.

I have left flight controls sensitives at 50%, I think this is default, but will have to check that.