How to paint on a transparent texture? (NML file)

vesalius

Hi,

I've paint 10 iconic belgian liveries that are well engraved in the collective memory of most belgian aviation fanatics.
1a.JPG

They all share the same customized vstab leading edge, photographic references show me those planes had not the same leading edge as the one we get with the IXEG by default.1b.JPG

1c.JPG

1d.JPG

I do not know how to get my leading edge (which I have in object/layer format) applied in the fuselage_NML file. When I convert the fuselage_NML.png to TGA format, I loose the transparrency but I get a tga file with a RGB layer that is green with the elements that need to look shiny being blue/purple AND an "alpha" channel that shows more or less a blank 737 fuselage.
1f.jpg
1g.jpg

If this TGA file is converted back to PNG, my 737 looks like a plastic model (wheels for instance get a completely plastic/shiny look).

If I open the original PNG file with Photoshop, I see only 1 layer and that is transparrent. Everything you painting with the brush on this layer is non-transparent.
1e.JPG

I have been doing repaints for more then 20 years, but I'm not so a quick learner with these new techniques...
Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Vital Vanbeginne

Not sure I understand what you are trying to do, but to change something on the _NML, first cut away the area you want to change.  Then create a new layer on the exact same area and set the opacity to something less than 100% (you will need to experiment).  Also make sure the R and G channels are at 127 and the B either 0 or 255. Then merge the layers.

Edited by Morten

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

Allow me to come back on this topic. I've picked up again where I left 2 months ago and I see that we're something missing here in the story.

As I see it, you use the blue color to pinpoint that part that needs to be reflective. No blue, so value 0, will apply no reflection.
BUT, the hidden alpha layer (as I call it) contains the grey scale which will also be used in the sim to decide the amount of reflection...

So here is where my problem starts. How can I paint on that hidden layer? Because I cannot access this greyscale layer when I open the png file in paintshop. I need to convert the png file to a tga file to see the greyscale layer in the alpha channel of that tga. But the, the file can no longer be used in XP. The effect of transparancy is lost and everything that this texture covers will shine like hell..

I'm not an expert so I may not explain it very well...

All the best,

Vital Vanbeginne

Edited by vesalius