Duchess file crashes my system

Deeceele

After 30 minutes or so. it all ends with my soundcard screaming, the instruments dissapearing, and no way to get out of this situation unless reset of the pc. i tried a fresh install of the downloaded file... Also : props don't retard enough. Anyone with similar issues? Can a new file be donwloaded?

No other file gives me this trouble. ( i use two pc's: one for scenery and one master pc, both very fast machines)

After 30 minutes or so. it all ends with my soundcard screaming, the instruments dissapearing, and no way to get out of this situation unless reset of the pc. i tried a fresh install of the downloaded file... Also : props don't retard enough. Anyone with similar issues? Can a new file be donwloaded?

No other file gives me this trouble. ( i use two pc's: one for scenery and one master pc, both very fast machines)

Please take screenshots and show me what is happening on the screen. 

What was the situation right before the crash?  Heavy scenery? Heavy weather?

What are the settings you are using for the sim?  A screenshot of the settings page would give me volumes of information.

What version of X Plane are you using?

Regards to the prop, it has been fixed in the new set of instructions I posted.  If you are nervous about using planemaker, then we ask you to be patient until the new update comes out in about 2-3 weeks.

Most importantly, we need to know your systems specs. 

As a first "try", move all your preferences out of your x-plane/output/preferences folder.  Restart the sim.

You will have to set your joystick calibration and button assignments again.  If this fixes your problem, then permanently delete the preference files you moved.  If not, move the preference files back into the preferences folder.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Maxime, Dear Goran,

Thanks.

As it is the only aircraft file that is behaving this way , i think it is unlikely to be the preferences, but i will do it and then report.

( although i am reluctant to change the configuration of this rather 'heavy' sim i have. :P

i will take screenshots to.

i noticed that the instruments had dissapeared at the crash.

My scenery is very heavy, on both pc's in use.

the master 'instruments'- pc has only one hd screen, the scenery- textures do get misty after 20 minutes, but no problem for the flying because:

the second 'scenery' pc has plenty of graphic card power and never gets tired.

it is the master (instruments) pc that crashes.

one thing that i do which is a little trick ( i dont know if this has to do with it) is that the scenery pc does NOT have the aircraft file, in order to avoid the 3D appearing over my scenery. it replaces it automatically with the standard cirrus aircraft.

i will return with more info once i have tested.

Thanks!

David

(ps : It was Cameron who directed me to this forum)

• 3 weeks later...

It appears you definitely changed the acf file in some way.  You added a Garmin pop up and the cockpit.obj file has been corrupted in some way and is not visible.

Please try deleting the entire folder and reinstall the aircraft and then let me know what happens.

Nice set up, by the way.

Thanks Goran,

Indeed, i use an extra reality xp garmin 530.

I never alter my acft files on purpouse, but something must be interfering with the duchess file.

i tried a reinstall to no avail.

Could the Duchess file be too demanding for my pc? don't know. i had good hopes after being able to fly for an hour but then it started again. strange thing is that with e.g. piper saratoga by carenado ( also really heavy) i don't experience the problem.

a pitty i cant go on training on the duchess, i still think it flies fantastic and according to the numbers very correct.

i know this is not the place to showcase hardware setup, but i thought i could share one more picture of my setup, which is a 6 screen  setup in the making ;)  now only 4, and tons of usb hardware...

post-2987-131369598956_thumb.jpg

Definitely a very admirable set up.

Could you please post your exact systems specifications.

OS

CPU

Video Card

RAM

Also, please check that you have all the latest drivers installed for all your hardware and again make sure you have the latest version of X Plane.  NOT the beta.  Make sure you untick the beta box of the X Plane updater.

I've sold a very large number of Duchesses and no one else is having the problems you are describing.  

When you post your system specs, please also send an email to support@x-aviation.com and they'll also try to get it sorted out for you.

• 2 months later...

Oh yes, i can't wait for the saab to be released.

One more word on problems with heavy detailed 3D aircraft models, combined with 25 or more usb-modules. (total usb switches and knobs can easily exceed 200). There seems to be a limit to impulses that x-plane + pc can handle.

According to my IT-guy the pc is not the cause, but x-plane. i don't know.

symptoms are : gradual loss of usb instruments input, whereby the pc picks up and sends signal every few seconds only. Controls are unavoidably lost. only a restart can solve this, but 10 minutes later : same problem.

with simple 2d cockpits no problem. But when using a complex and rich virtual model like the duchess i had to reduce my render settings to standard. It works until now.

Oh yes, i can't wait for the saab to be released.

One more word on problems with heavy detailed 3D aircraft models, combined with 25 or more usb-modules. (total usb switches and knobs can easily exceed 200). There seems to be a limit to impulses that x-plane + pc can handle.

According to my IT-guy the pc is not the cause, but x-plane. i don't know.

symptoms are : gradual loss of usb instruments input, whereby the pc picks up and sends signal every few seconds only. Controls are unavoidably lost. only a restart can solve this, but 10 minutes later : same problem.

with simple 2d cockpits no problem. But when using a complex and rich virtual model like the duchess i had to reduce my render settings to standard. It works until now.

Send an email to Austin and ask about the number of USB modules that x-plane supports.

I'm no tech wizard but if anyone can give you information on that issue, it's him.

austin@x-plane.com

If you are having issues, he may very well make an update that supports up to 200 usb modules, if it is indeed x planes fault.

Goran