Weather and Terrain radar, question for the devs

Ricardo2696

Just curious, how accurate is the terrain radar and the weather radar simulation? Are you guys using all the real values ( refresh rate, speed, range, colors, etc) ? Any limitations with that?                             Thanks, Ricardo

Edited by Ricardo2696

11 hours ago, Morten said:

Team is in vacation mode, Nils should answer this, but from what I know - both systems are very realistic in every aspect.

Thanks for the answer Morten, guess i am gonna have to wait until the team comes back from their well deserved vacations :)

On 7/22/2017 at 0:54 AM, Ricardo2696 said:

Just curious, how accurate is the terrain radar and the weather radar simulation? Are you guys using all the real values ( refresh rate, speed, range, colors, etc) ? Any limitations with that?                             Thanks, Ricardo

The color codings etc should be per-spec but obviously subject to simulator limitations. For instance, X-plane does not give us any information on the vertical distribution of water in clouds, so here we have developed a simple model of our own to avoid showing bright red (= wet) clouds at 25k.

Edited by Nils
  • Upvote 1

Both, the terrain radar and the weather radar are kind of complex. Its awesome how you guys have come with such an accurate representation :)

13346993_1090697837686436_6871771450158548307_n.jpg

From what ive been able to test by myself, by comparing the data from a real 737 manual with the one i get in the ixeg 733 terrain radar, everything seems accurate. Good job guys!!

Edited by Ricardo2696

Hi,

we tried to keep the radar and terrain display accurate in colour and capability. The radar is masked by terrain, can be reflected by terrain, and can be subject to "overscanning" (icy tops) and underscanning. Update frequency is similiar to the real one, but we don´t model attenuation.

The terrain return is a poll of X-Plane´s dsf elevation map, colour coded as shown above.

Cheers, Jan

• Upvote 1