Ground fog when there's no fog

toby23

Every flight has been a real pleasure since purchasing SMP.

My only gripe is that it appears to be adding ground fog when there shouldn't be any..

I fly mainly in the UK with real weather from FSGRW and SMP always shows these 'fog' layers, why?

One other question, ground haze appears to be exaggerated using SMP, it almost looks like how the default engine portrays haze. I don't see this when I use FSGRW with the default engine, so why is the haze being added so thickly when I use SMP with FSGRW?

X-Plane-2017-07-13-23-37-53.jpg

X-Plane-2017-07-13-23-29-07.jpg

Edited by toby23

SMP doesn't touch the haze in xp11, are you using real weather connector also?

My guess is FSGRW is using a different metar than the xp default weather which displays a different result....

If you are using RWC look at the documentation to set it up to properly work with FSGRW.....

Yes, I use RWC and it is set to Automatic.

Page 3 of the manual says to use Automatic with FSGRW but then lower down (under Never:RWC is disabled), it says 'If your add-on disables X-Plane’s real world weather system (most do), then RWC’s “Automatic” setting will automatically disable RWC while your add-on is active anyhow'.

Which option should I choose to use RWC AND access the METAR data from FSGRW correctly?

1. Automatic, 2. Always or 3. Never?

Should I use FSGRW at all or should I choose X-Plane default real weather download and set RWC to Automatic?

Edited by toby23

This might sound crazy but if I disable RWC, while using real weather METAR data, the clouds appear at the correct height and there is minimal ground haze...

I just checked this and, using RWC, with or without FSGRW, cloud bases were 800-1000ft higher than reported in the METAR.

Edited by toby23

With FSGRW you can run RWC in either automatic or always mode.

Those are indeed cloud shadows you're seeing on top of the haze. Apart from that, we don't touch haze on the ground at all - honest.

Is it possible the discrepancy you're seeing in cloud heights is due to ground level vs. sea level? Also we simulate a "scud" layer beneath the clouds - it's never exact in nature.

Thanks for your help Frank.

It was a combination of the ground shadows interacting with the haze layer.

I have now found the new art control, below, to restrict ground haze and it's all good again.

Beautiful skies thanks to SMP.

set("sim/private/controls/fog/fog_be_gone", 0.25)

• Upvote 2