God Ray's appear in front of plane instead of behind

branislavmilic

Yes, this is an algorithmic limitation of how "god rays" work. They are a screen-space effect, so they must assume some constant depth relative to the camera. It's just yet another trade-off we have to make in real-time computer graphics to get the performance we need.

By default, the rays are configured to just draw over everything in the scene. As Cameron pointed out, depending on the angle of the sun and how much atmosphere is between you and a given object, that's not necessarily wrong. 

But it is possible to adjust the depth of the rays, by editing the resources/plugins/silverlining/resources/silverlining.config file in a text editor. Look for the crepuscular-rays-depth setting. Please note that we can't provide support once you start messing around with config settings, however - be sure to save a backup of the original config file so you can restore it if things go horribly wrong.

Edited by sundog
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, branislavmilic said:

Thank you for your reply.

I'm on Mac and the only way I could edit the config file was to change its extension to .txt. 

Unfortunately when I saved the file and put again its extension to .config, no clouds appear in the sim.

How to edit the config file without changing its file property?

I'm not really a Mac guy, so I'm not sure what might have gone wrong there. My guess is that whatever editor you used didn't really preserve the text file format. Even text files are different between Mac and PC, and this file was created on a PC.

You'd probably have to edit it on a Windows system (right click / open with... wordpad would do the job) or find a text editor app on MacOS that promises not to ruin Windows-style text files when saving them.