Sharp-cut cloud

branislavmilic

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I see a cutoff on the third arrow but I don't see anything wrong with the first two from the left. You could try changing SMP's cumulus representation from "crisp" to "soft" and see if that provides results closer to what you want. 

Honestly if you're trying to achieve cinematic CG quality from a real-time simulator designed to run at 30-60 frames per second, you need to reset your expectations. The clouds you see in movies require several minutes per frame to render.

Hi

I was not talking about the left arrows in this post but just about the right arrow.

Talking about the left arrows, it's just unrealistic. Because these are "photos" of far clouds but in SMP they are positionned very close. Totally unrealistic. If I was the developer or a beta tester to SMP, this would never pass QC. ;-)

My goal is not to mimic reality so that people think these are images from reality. My goal is to make cinematic clips that show how a flight simulator TRIES to simulate reality. It's like a painting: you know it's not a real image, but it is a representation. 

I need better clouds than default XP's clouds, but not clouds and rays that do not exist at all in reality.

Like I said, all I can suggest is trying different settings between crisp / soft / fast for different looks of the cumulus clouds. Our clouds are created in a variety of sizes and shapes as they are nature (this is very carefully modeled using real meteorological research), and so you won't see a direct relationship between cloud size and distance. But this setting will affect how much detail is in each cloud puff.

I'm not sure what's causing that clipped texture you found. That's not something I've seen myself. It may be due to a clipping plane introduced by X-Plane itself, which would explain why you're seeing something similar in the default clouds. You might check to see if one of the textures in CloudAtlas.tga is very slightly overstepping its bounds, which would also explain it. Apart from that I don't think there's anything you can do as a user about it.

• 5 months later...

I trusted you when you told me that the culprit is X-Plane for the clipping issue. Until today when I wanted to see how did you construct the images of the clouds. This is where I found out why the appearance of SMP clouds is sometimes so awful: these are just badly-designed clouds. So I made my own custom set by replacing 80% of the clouds. Here's the video explaining everything: 

• Downvote 1

Huh well you got us......Were part of a huge cloud clipping conspiracy....

There were a few edits i made to try and quell clipping in the cloud files, either 1. Somehow it didn't make it into the update or 2. I missed a few of them 

Your edits look really nice, it's absolutely in good form to share those to the community if you feel so inclined......You got my support....

10 hours ago, Cameron said:

Best video I've ever seen. A good use of time, I'd say.

How dare you clip clouds and not make perfection at all times, John. I hate your product but I'm going to continue to use it.

Tsk Tsk Tsk.

Well we do employ 600 individuals who's job is to perfect SMP for the masses.....lol

I'm serious though why be down on us for creating content for X-Plane? Why go after a group of 2 individuals who's goal is to advance our hobby?

You took initiative to inject your artistic license into SMP and I think it looks nice...You have my support 100%

Why hold onto it? This leads me to think you have no desire to do anything positive, but only to serve your ego.....

Lemme be blunt with ya buddy, nobody thinks you're elite......Cloud textures are a small part of the overall engine that is SMP.......

Grandstanding on a mediocre topic....tisk tisk tisk

• 1 year later...
On 12/22/2017 at 10:54 PM, branislavmilic said:

I trusted you when you told me that the culprit is X-Plane for the clipping issue. Until today when I wanted to see how did you construct the images of the clouds. This is where I found out why the appearance of SMP clouds is sometimes so awful: these are just badly-designed clouds. So I made my own custom set by replacing 80% of the clouds. Here's the video explaining everything: 

Wow, I wish i could have those beautiful clouds