Rudder pedals

Recently my wife presented me rudder pedals (Thrustmaster TFRP). Hard to admit but they are my first rudder pedals in 15 years flying experience. And... I do not know how to operate them. Of course I know the theory but I fail to correctly use them. They look too sensitive to me even after I have reduced it in settings. Each time I try to slightly apply rudder to perform coordinated turn a plane skids in opposite direction (both 737 and default Cessna). Trying to keep a plane on the central line during takeoffs and landings I apply rudder as little as I can but the plane still skids like a mad drifting car.

So my first question is how to properly setup pedals sensitivity? May be there is a known value of an angle the nosewheel is turning when a full rudder is applied or may be there is some other technique to set it up properly?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have the same pedals.  I think X-plane is not handling steering / pedals on the ground correctly at all and tends to over correct - I've used the term "drunken pilot" behavior for pedals.

This script I posted down in the thread below may help you (you may need to edit to remove the devices you don't have).  Turn the assist in xplane all the way off and use the sliders all the way on the left in the joystick sensitivity - that makes the 733 behave pretty well - even if you need ever so gentle rudder inputs or xplane still send you off the runway.

Down pressure on the nose gear helps quite a bit until you get to about 80 kts.   

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/125263-pedals-for-x-plane-11/

I think this is something Laminar should fix, or provide improved handling of inputs for.  The TM gear is very precise so it's not like the input is not correct or anything so that excuse is long gone.  Just not in the top priority of fixes I think.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

M

Edited by Muchimi