sdflyer

[XP11] XP 11 1.02B1 FMC crash

Hello,

Did couple flight in IXEG 1.1 without any problem. However, during the last flight KMCO-KSFO

JAG5 AMG VUZ MEM VLUST Q128 FLOOD J28 MLF J80 OAL INYOE DYAMD3

After setting FMC for approach runway 28L vi DYAMD3 via INYOE, FMC crashed, debug window appeared with an error. FMC stuck and eventually XP11 crashed

Edited by Morten

Ok, thanks for the report. I think we have the odd crash still lingering in our code and we will continue to hunt those down and eradicate them.

The holy grail of bug reporting is (as you all know) finding a repeatable gizmo crash with log files AND a short video of how to reproduce it.

I would bet that if you fly the very same route again, it will work without crashing...the exact conditions are very hard to create twice.

Cheers, Jan

Hi Jan / sdflyer,

I did a quick "bug finding" exercise in Xplane 10 and it seems as though this soft crash is not related to the version of XP.

I could easily (and repeatably) reproduce it.

Steps:

• Load IXEG in Ready to Fly at KMCO rwy 18L
  • On CDU1 select INDEX and then POS
  • Enter KMCO as the Ref Airport
  • Select Route LSK6R
  • Enter LSK1L KMCO into Origin
  • Enter KSFO as Destination
  • Click DEPARR button
  • Select DEP and choose 18L, JAG5 as the SID and AMG as the transition
  • Click DEPARR again
  • Select ARR and select ILS28L (or R), select DYAMD3 as the STAR
  • Selecting any of the 2 transitions will result in Gizmo soft crash

FYI: I know I didn't enter the actual route... but this is just to show how to get to the crash. Even with entering the exact same route sdflyer used you will get the crash.

Strange thing is that if you select a different STAR first and then you select DYAMD3 then you don't get the crash.

Just thought I'd share my findings.

Jean

GizmoLog.txt

• Upvote 1

Will do next time. It was definitely FMC error. I should have known better and take a screenshot of debug window. I was trying to troubleshoot it myself first until sim crashed 

It was a some kind of null exception and FMC functioning stopped, and I assume it may be related to particular STAR (I use navigraph and just updated tothe  latest cycle). Just my educated guess (I'm software engineer and part time flight instructor) it may something to something with handling approach data. I don't believe it was any 3rd party gizmo. I've seen those kind of errors with IXEG FMC before. I know navigrath in the past was making some data errors during their update data. Unhanded null exceptions usually causing this  

5 minutes ago, jfjoubert said:

Hi Jan / sdflyer,

I did a quick "bug finding" exercise in Xplane 10 and it seems as though this soft crash is not related to the version of XP.

I could easily (and repeatably) reproduce it.

Steps:

• Load IXEG in Ready to Fly at KMCO rwy 18L
  • On CDU1 select INDEX and then POS
  • Enter KMCO as the Ref Airport
  • Select Route LSK6R
  • Enter LSK1L KMCO into Origin
  • Enter KSFO as Destination
  • Click DEPARR button
  • Select DEP and choose 18L, JAG5 as the SID and AMG as the transition
  • Click DEPARR again
  • Select ARR and select ILS28L (or R), select DYAMD3 as the STAR
  • Selecting any of the 2 transitions will result in Gizmo soft crash

FYI: I know I didn't enter the actual route... but this is just to show how to get to the crash. Even with entering the exact same route sdflyer used you will get the crash.

Strange thing is that if you select a different STAR first and then you select DYAMD3 then you don't get the crash.

Just thought I'd share my findings.

Jean

GizmoLog.txt

Thanks jfjoubert! Just as I suspected it has something something to do with data processing relative DYAMD3 approach.

Hi,

It's a pleasure.

Jan: Something else which I've picked up... you get a slightly different Gizmo soft crash when you select a STAR and then a transition... and then you line select the chosen transition again. Not standard operating procedure I know... but another potential place where a Gizmo crash can (will) happen. This is not specific to KSFO though... did a quick check at EHAM and same behaviour.

Once again... just sharing my findings. ;)

Jean

GizmoLog.txt

Thanks for the elaborate report and the steps to reproduce it!

I will add this to the bug tracker so we can squash it for the next version!

Cheers, Jan

• Upvote 1