X-plane.org

brian4xp

Just came here because I'm having lots of trouble with x-plane.org.  The response time is crippling!  Anyway, teach me the ropes!  Just came from FSX the end of last year.  Have the HD mesh and ortho scenery.  Any other help and suggestions appreciated.  I'm to nervous to try VATSIM.  Should I be?

2 hours ago, brian4xp said:

I'm to nervous to try VATSIM.  Should I be?

That depends how good you know your aircraft. You should know the different autopilot modes, FMC programming, SIDs and STARs and how to make a proper route/flightplan.

If you feel that you master your aircraft, then you should start to learn the communication and procedure that are used on VATSIM.

More info here: https://www.vatsim.net/pilot-resource-centre/vatsim-basics

You can go to a airport with some traffic and just listen to the communication.
When you man your self up and want to try to fly online, find controlled airport with no other traffic and let the ATC know that you are a beginner (important). Then they will help you out if they have time.

If everything go wrong the first time, just try again later. Don't be afraid. You will never fly offline again when you see how fun it is to fly online :)

Good luck

14 hours ago, Tom Stian said:

That depends how good you know your aircraft. You should know the different autopilot modes, FMC programming, SIDs and STARs and how to make a proper route/flightplan.

If you feel that you master your aircraft, then you should start to learn the communication and procedure that are used on VATSIM.

More info here: https://www.vatsim.net/pilot-resource-centre/vatsim-basics

You can go to a airport with some traffic and just listen to the communication.
When you man your self up and want to try to fly online, find controlled airport with no other traffic and let the ATC know that you are a beginner (important). Then they will help you out if they have time.

If everything go wrong the first time, just try again later. Don't be afraid. You will never fly offline again when you see how fun it is to fly online :)

Good luck

Tom,

Thanks so much for the advice.  I'm thinking I'll try out VATsim in the General Aviation area.  To be honest, that's my favorite anyway.  Thinking that may be a bit easier?