New X-Aviation Download Policy

Cameron

Captains,

It's crazy to think X-Aviation has been in business for 10 years already, but that's the reality and time really does fly! When we first launched X-Aviation it was somewhat during the "pioneering" time of payware add-ons for X-Plane. At that time, one of the only ways to combat piracy or keep overhead costs for server bandwidth down as an e-commerce shop was to restrict download attempts. So, when we launched X-Aviation we naturally had this built into the store and it has remained a part of the system from the get-go.

We have always maintained a process of allowing our customers to click the 'Request Reset' button once the download expired to get your links refreshed, but this has understandably been less than ideal for our customers and even for us from a support load standpoint. We live in a content-driven world now, and bandwidth has become cheaper compared to 10 years ago. More importantly, we understand the sense of instant gratification the Internet brings, so having to request a reset for a download can be a real pain. It means you need to wait for one of our staff to manually verify the link and have it reset, sometimes taking a few days for that link to be refreshed.

With the above said, we have coded up a new download system for our store. Effective immediately, all aircraft and object based scenery downloads will be unlimited and without an expiry date. This policy affects all of your purchases, new and old.

We have dedicated many resources to various aspects of our products and store, but this is one area we neglected to bring up to speed until now. It's not earth-shattering news, but it should be very welcome news to you, and we sincerely hope it removes a pain point for you and your desire to have a seamless flight simulation adventure using our products.

Thank you for your past patronage, and we're looking forward to serving you more in the future!

Blue Skies!

• Upvote 16

3 minutes ago, User42 said:

I was hoping that this would have as a side effect the once off reset of activations but alas it was not to be. That's a pity, it would have been nice.

It's coming.

The consequence of getting the DRM update wrong are considerable. :|

The update will allow instant in-sim de-auth of old machines you're no longer using.

More info soon.

Edited by Ben Russell
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, User42 said:

I was hoping that this would have as a side effect the once off reset of activations but alas it was not to be. That's a pity, it would have been nice.

Sir, the piracy affiliated (of which you're fully aware) to you and the people you share with is OFF THE CHARTS.

Do not expect change for your account.

• Upvote 1

Okay, I completely understand your position there. I thought a once off amnesty might bring back customers who actually spent hundreds on your products, learned their lesson when the products became unusable and changed their behavior but as I say, I do completely understand.

Just now, User42 said:

Okay, I completely understand your position there. I thought a once off amnesty might bring back customers who actually spent hundreds on your products, learned their lesson when the products became unusable and changed their behavior but as I say, I do completely understand.

The issue there is it was so rampant. I cannot tell you how many times I would get reset requests from other customers and your name kept popping up in the pool of sharers for activations. Literally the worst I have seen.

Every time I looked at it I just shook my head. Typically "amnesty" is provided should someone make right the wrong with purchasing the software for their friends or in the amount it was shared. It's just SO much that under your situation it would take me a very long time to go through it. I'm not really all for public shaming the piracy stuff, but I really did cringe every time I saw your account pop up.

• Upvote 1

hi cameron and Ben,     is there a way to have this applied to real scenery downloads?

How do you fully uninstall/remove Real Scenery products?  I have State of Washington,I used the uninstaller to remove the files, but nothing changed in sim when loaded it back up? 

I would imagine you would just remove the real scenery folders from the custom scenery folder; problem is  1) what is the point of the uninstaller if it does not do that?  

and 2).  there is no list to cross reference to know which folders to remove?   I was hoping to redownload it this morning upon the good news email, but no luck. 

Thanks guys

Cameron I don't know what else to do, I've tried to contact you repeatedly and You have not responded. I'm trying to market my aircraft Through your website Which comes highly recommended in which I've been a part Of for quite some time now. I don't want to have to go to the "other guys" so what do I have to do to attain vendor status?

• 3 weeks later...

OoohLaLa! ten years..my wife and I celebrate ten this July as well as the flat we are in (ten yrs) and moving (to a bigger flat) at the end of this month! :)  Good to know about the DL's now. Makes it simpler for you and us.  Just hope the pirates can be baffled!  Seems like a never ending battle for all types of developers.  Thanks for this change..it was needed ;) 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, everyone.

I followed the new instructions for the activation licenses but I think i make mistakes.

Every time I get X-Plane (10) I have to click on "Your license was update".

It is normal that?

Sorry for my poor english.:wacko:

Thanks, Marino

p.s. How far is Saab-340A for X-Plane 11?:wub:

LES_Saab_340A_Cargo_1.jpg

10 minutes ago, Suprex said:

Hi, everyone.

I followed the new instructions for the activation licenses but I think i make mistakes.

Every time I get X-Plane (10) I have to click on "Your license was update".

It is normal that?

Sorry for my poor english.:wacko:

Thanks, Marino

p.s. How far is Saab-340A for X-Plane 11?:wub:

That is normal, but you can turn it off if you want.

Just uncheck "Notify me when my license is updated"

Edited by Tom Stian