Rotate [was Controls settings]

Ifikratis

Hi all,

I'm a happy IXEG 737 Classic v-pilot. I am running XP11 and have a question I'd be glad for your reply.

I have noticed that  during takeoff roll when I pull my joystick back to rotate, the airplane will nose-up as expected, but after some feet in the air -near instantaneously- it will pitch down..a scary moment, so I have to apply more pitch up input on the elevator to bring the climb rate up again. That's a little weird, and I tried to change the augmentation setting in XP11 but no luck in fixing this. So my question is double:

1) Is this normal behavior? Is it a bug? If its a bug, will it be fixed or there is a fix?

2) What is IXEG recommendation for Controls sensitivity and augmentation settings? I am interested for the most realism of course.

My controls hardware is a Logitech T.1600M joystick and MFG rudder pedals.

Thank you very much for your time! I'd be really grateful for a reply.

Edited by Morten

IXEG recommends 0% augmentation, 25% control response. Still control response value % is a generic base, this value should be adjusted based on your particular hardware axis travel length.

The real aircraft has lots of inches of travel on every axis that cheap desktop hardware lacks, thus you may need going even further than 25% for pitch and roll. 

Reading the included documentation, quick start guide, first flight should help you to make sure the aircraft is properly setup for takeoff, trim correctly set is specially important in ANY aircraft as actuating it on the air to relief yoke pressure as the aircraft gains speed and different flap & engine thrust configuration during the climb about.

9 hours ago, Ifikratis said:

I have noticed that  during takeoff roll when I pull my joystick back to rotate, the airplane will nose-up as expected, but after some feet in the air -near instantaneously- it will pitch down..a scary moment, so I have to apply more pitch up input on the elevator to bring the climb rate up again. That's a little weird, and I tried to change the augmentation setting in XP11 but no luck in fixing this. So my question is double:

1) Is this normal behavior? 

Yes, this is normal behavior for most airliners (low wing and tail) :)

The technical explanation is;

• During initial rotation, the elevator/stabilizer will move closer to ground (tail going down).  Here there is very turbulent air from the wing downwash.  This means that the elevator no longer will be as efficient and you need to apply more elevator to continue rotation
  • A few feet after liftoff, the wing will leave Chord Dominated Ground effect, lift will decrease slightly, and the nose might have a tendency to drop unless you continue to increase AoA.

M

Edited by Morten
  • Upvote 5

Thank you very much for your time and your replies :)

10 hours ago, Morten said:

Yes, this is normal behavior for most airliners (low wing and tail) :)

The technical explanation is;

• During initial rotation, the elevator/stabilizer will move closer to ground (tail going down).  Here there is very turbulent air from the wing downwash.  This means that the elevator no longer will be as efficient and you need to apply more elevator to continue rotation
  • A few feet after liftoff, the wing will leave Chord Dominated Ground effect, lift will decrease slightly, and the nose might have a tendency to drop unless you continue to increase AoA.

M

Dear Morten, haven't thought of that..it's very impressive that this is modeled! I'm quite new to X-plane, coming from P3D, I had never experienced this effect on take-off roll. Probably because X-Planes flight dynamics are more advanced.

Again, thank you very much for the reply.