Сan't get used to Auto Throttle

I assume that this may be a bug in my hands not in the plane but I can not get used to how auto-throttle work.

Example one

During continuous (or late) descent being on final approach with autopilot off and auto-throttle on when I further release flaps it gives too much power and plane starts to level. I try to retain descend gradient but then AT reduces power and that increases vertical speed. I continue to struggle with AT In such way but finally it leads not to calming the plane but to completely destabilizing the approach. What I do now is disengage AT before intercepting G/S.

Example two

Ok, may be I'm a factor... But on early descents having autopilot on, auto-throttle on, flaps partly out when plane levels to intercept glideslope AT waits until speed reduces much below assigned on MCP and only then starts to slowly add power. Sometimes speed is so low that plane becomes unstable. (Assigned speed is always 10-15 knots above limits.)

My question is how to properly deal with auto-throttle, may be I'm doing something wrong?