Aircraft will not fly approach

Tom Knudsen

Sorry for the topic title, was not sure how I should specify it.

Anyway I have a serious problem that for me borderline to the plane being semi-nonfunctional.

It kinda annoys me as I do not know if its me, the airplane or something else. But I have tried now 3 times into same airport (ENVA) with the latest AIRAC

on board. The whole flight was down to perfections (yes I'm bragging) and the flight went smooth every time until.......

Approach!

Normal streight in ILS RNAV approach that it setup by the book and I'll use todays flight as an example

2017-03-12_153919.png

1. Approach was setup according to the charts by AIP Norway found on official webpage IPPC.no AD 2 ENVA 4 -15

Selected approach was VEVOD 1L into ILS/LOC Rwy 09

2. Approach course set to 089 and 110.30 on both sides

3. DH set to 564 for type C CAT aircraft approach

Now here the first issue occured

I was able to input first 6000 feet according to charts

- Note the FMS showed one fix with 070A then 6000 then 070A on the next fix.

To correct this so the aircraft would not level change on approach I chose to set all 070 altitude on leg page to

chart altitude and speed 220/6000A

As seen on image, FMS reports its not able to obtain CRZ altitude, why?

- Note the 4000 here was originally 6000A

2017-03-12_155208.png

Well of my way along the approach I had VOR capture activated, I fly VNAV and LNAV monitoring speed and decent into the

last stage of the approach.

4. VOR Capture as expected at 220 knots and 2900 feet according to the chart. All is good at this point.

5. Reduced speed to 180 with flap setting 15 while I wait for the glide scope to capture.

6. GS Capture and speed 150, gears down and flap 15 for the time being.

Now the shit hit the fan

7. Aircraft started to accelerate to 280 knots whilst I did disconnect autopilot on that note and started to navigate. 

8. Set N1 and heading select while cleaning up the plane and reducing speed (now over restricted speed 250 below 10000)

To cut this story short

9. Set the plane up for a new approach using HDG and ALT HOLD at 3000 feet and controlled speed with SPD

10 Landed a perfect approach even though the headwind was gusting 25 with a slight crosswind 170/13G250

Well so my plane did not perform as I wanted to this time around either, totally useless if not flown hands on.

I bring this issue to you, hoping you might find something in the logs that either show me what I did wrong, what the plane did or didnt do or

if there is a NAV data issue, please let me know so I can stick a needle into Areasofts butt repeatedly.

NB.. Let me know if you need other log files etc.

And here is a bonus question, why is this setting default set to MACH? I need to change it everytime, is there a setting for this I can change?

2017-03-12_145940.png

Spec:

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

X-Plane 10.51

IXEG 1.07 (via the hotfix)

GIZMO Firmware v16.09.27.0342

Included files (again not sure what to include

Cycle Dump.txt

Data.txt

GizmoLog.txt

Log.txt

From IXEG

B733_prefs.txt

IXEG_FMS_debug.txt

IXEG_user_prefs.txt

plane.txt

Hope this help, if not please advice and I'll gladly assist, this issue is insane annoying as I would love to fly an approach using

VNAV and LNAV up to the point where I disconnect and land manually.

I think (reading from your log.txt) that your computer is not set up according to the rules of Fengh-Shui. There may also be an influence of earth-rays or simple bad karma. I have heard of cases where computer mainboards were evil sorcerers in a former life, and are therefore prone to malfunctions.

:lol:

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Litjan said:

I think (reading from your log.txt) that your computer is not set up according to the rules of Fengh-Shui. There may also be an influence of earth-rays or simple bad karma. I have heard of cases where computer mainboards were evil sorcerers in a former life, and are therefore prone to malfunctions.

:lol:

Damn, and I was hoping to catch you when you didnt drink :lol:

• Upvote 1

No such luck :D.

Anyway, the VNAV is not able to handle complex restrictions and has some bugs, this has been known and stated many times on these forums, so your bug report is neither surprising nor telling us anything that has not been known widely for many months. 

For now use V/S and FLCHG.

Cheers, Jan 

Thank you Jan, glad to see you sober again :lol:

I must admit I do not read the forum that much, to many hours done on scenery development project like this one

16422930_10211556408694052_82870072467185716_o.jpg

That said I am ecstatic to hear I am not the only one with this issue. Nothing will demote you more than when a flight cannot be completed due to issues. Especially

those that crash to desktop either it be simulator or program. Even worse is when you think its hardware related as I so painstaking did learn recently. In a previous

post I though there was a bug calling the AP to disconnect, turned out to be my Saitek Flight Yoke's throttle connector (PS-2) that had a bad connection. Ended up

selling the damn thing and spending 200 bucks on a new one, just to get the same damn plug included. End of the story was I argued my retailer to the point he gave

me an USB edition. So hopefully now I never have any issue with the AP disconnecting or banking the aircraft mid flight for no reason.

With your statement, things can only get better when VNAV system hopefully will be amended :)

PS. Next beer is on me :)

Edited by Tom Knudsen

Yes, airport looks excellent!

We are planning to issue patch 1.1 "shortly" - no promises, though. It should fix a lot of the "gizmo crash" bugs - but will not make VNAV better. But we have not forgotten and will work on that after making the plane compatible with XP11.

Cheers, Jan

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Morten said:

Nice airport Tom, which is that?

That would be ENOV - Still debating on payware or freeware but as of now it leans for the latter.  Next project will be for sure payware and a major airport

3 hours ago, Litjan said:

Yes, airport looks excellent!

We are planning to issue patch 1.1 "shortly" - no promises, though. It should fix a lot of the "gizmo crash" bugs - but will not make VNAV better. But we have not forgotten and will work on that after making the plane compatible with XP11.

Cheers, Jan

Thanks Jan. Glad to hear it, hopefully you get to include the "Rain Repellent" too, if not for use then as a dummy. Still think the overhead looks better with.

Good luck with the 1.1 - I know the people look forward to it :)

PS.. Any though on the bonus question?

Edited by Tom Knudsen