Gran Turismo 5 – Addiction alert!

Simmo W

Gran Turismo 5 – Addiction alert!

I’d better explain myself. In addition to being pretty crook right now, which is really denting my productivity, I just picked up Gran Turismo 5. There are many reviews out there, some great, some not that impressed with it. I’m a GT veteran, had everyone since day 1 (it hurts to play GT1 now), so...

http://xplane10.wordpress.com/2010/11/30/gran-turismo-5-addiction-alert/

Same here Simon, I actually purchased a PS3 just for GT5.  I also have XBOX 360 and Forza 3 but with the lack of good wheel choices for the XBOX 360 (except the Fanatec) and the fact that I already have a Logitech G25, I hardly look at Forza.

I've been into PC racing for a very long time and my current collection includes r-Factor, GTR2, GTL, GTR Evolution, Race, Race On, Ferrari Virtual Racing Academy and my subscription to iRacing.

Judging from my time with GT5 so far I feel that it is almost as good as my two PC favorites, r-Factor with the Historic GT&Touring mod and iRacing.  What's interesting is how GT5 (and Forza 3 for that matter) have really started to become very close to PC racing as far as the physics are concerned.  In addition the graphics are also very good especially considering that the PS3 console cost me less than half of what one of my gaming PC's high end graphics cards cost.  The consistently smooth performance of the game is also note worthy considering the specs on the console.  It just goes to show you what can be done when a game is properly optimized for a specific hardware spec.

It would be nice to have a flight simulator in the future that can provide this level of immersion.

Good to find another fan DJ! Indi's just posted another idea re. Races. Pm me and we'll share psn names, try an online race one day. I have had my ps3 since release day, so it's ancient but can even play ps one games! Finally getting good value out of it, blurays cheaper, hd recorder, iview, etc.

You're a good person to ask then- is Forza better or not? Personally I wouldn't buy a 360 just for Forza, so u must like gt5! I love it, as it's so broad. I am starting to collect every nasty 60-80s car ever built, I don't care about 2010s plastic models. I find the standard models pretty good, and they bend quite nicely.

I'm only disappointed with the licence tests- far too easy to pass and unlike the earlier series, not really instructional. They've eased it up for the masses.

Yes the handling is pretty spot on, you can really tell the difference b/w ff and Fr cars now. My 850hp Plymouth cuda 440 is a slight over steerer!!!

I wasn't even aware of the hardcore pc racing games- just saved myself a few thousand!

Pm me and we'll share psn names, try an online race one day.

Will do.

You're a good person to ask then- is Forza better or not? Personally I wouldn't buy a 360 just for Forza, so u must like gt5!

I have been stuck using the Microsoft XBOX 360 racing wheel with Forza 3 so it's hard to compare it to GT5 and how it feels with the Logitech G25.  I have seen a lot of positive comments about Forza 3 in various forums from Fanatec wheel users.  From a graphics/eye candy point of view I would say that it is every bit as good as GT5.

Yes the handling is pretty spot on, you can really tell the difference b/w ff and Fr cars now. My 850hp Plymouth cuda 440 is a slight over steerer!!!

I am amazed at how good the force feed back is considering this is a console game.  It's not hard to imagine a racing sim like iRacing becoming available for consoles. Makes you wonder what the next gen XBOX and PS3 are going to be capable of.

I wasn't even aware of the hardcore pc racing games- just saved myself a few thousand!

You might be shocked at how good they are, really.  The Historic GT&Touring mod for r-Factor goes down as one the best and that mod is free. Take a look at this video which also shows some of the most well done tracks (also free) for r-Factor from VLM -

I on the other hand have been cruising in the original Forza since day one, and bought the XBOX 360 just for Forza 2 and now 3.. Unfortunately my XBOX 360 died this spring, so I haven't had the chance to drive for a long time.

This summer I bought a PS3 to see what's going on in this part of the gaming world, and not least, to get a blu-ray player with more possibilities than just view movies. Along with the PS3 I bought the GT5 "demo". I wasn't really impressed. How's that one compared to the full game? One of the biggest downsides to me was no damage and there's hardly any upgrades except "buy a new car". And I quickly got stuck between races because I didn't have enough money to buy a new car to drive new races, and I couldn't sell the only car I had in the garage.. I played it for a week, and have never touched it again.

I on the other hand have been cruising in the original Forza since day one, and bought the XBOX 360 just for Forza 2 and now 3.

I didn't think we'd see this until the next gen XBOX but Forza 4 is already in the works, lol -

http://www.racesimcentral.com/news/2010/12/new-forza-motorsport-4-trailer-unveiled/

Along with the PS3 I bought the GT5 "demo". I wasn't really impressed. How's that one compared to the full game?

I purchased Gran Turismo 5 Prologue with my PS3 and also wasn't overly impressed, already being addicted to PC racing sims didn't help matters either.  In my opinion the full GT5 isn't really comparable to the much abbreviated Gran Turismo 5 Prologue.  It looks like I'm not alone in my assessment -

http://www.racesimcentral.com/news/2010/12/just-how-well-has-the-gran-turismo-series-sold/

Ola,in my opinion gt5 full version is significantly better, ESP physics wise. Well worth it. I'm now finding it reasonably easy to generate money, especially as my Spec B driver now has an IQ above 85. He gets me $15k in 10 mins. I hope u can eventually win the $20m racecars!

Damage progressively appears, I'm at level 15 and have seen a Ferrari bumper start to wobble. At level 40 it becomes carnage, so I'm a Long way from that. something nice to strive for. Im pleased they have made car acquisition harder and some of the features progressive. Once you get into Superbad and racecar league, the standard cars eventually feel pointless, and your humble Trueno gets mothballed. But with improved physics, hopefully that doesn't happen

Online is obviously a great addition. But I'm the first to complain about it's ghastly filtering system, I'd love to enter a race for pre-80s under 200hp bombs but good luck..

I hardly played prologue, very disappointed with it. The full is another story

Great news about Forza 4! Wish I had a 360 now. Not to be for me, unless it has a massive advantage over gt5, and then Id be pissed at wasting money on GT! Good for competition though.

Great news about Forza 4! Wish I had a 360 now. Not to be for me, unless it has a massive advantage over gt5, and then Id be pissed at wasting money on GT! Good for competition though.

Why not enjoy both Simon? Currently I'm switching back and forth between r-Factor, iRacing and GT5. I'm now seriously considering grabbing that Fanatec 911 GT2 wheel so that finally I'll have XBOX 360, GT5 and the PC covered by a decent racing wheel.

For anyone interested there is a video review of GT5 over at racesimcentral. The review really starts at about 13:05 in the video -

http://www.racesimcentral.com/news/

Forza marketplace is a joke.

They've crammed it into the standard LIVE container, so while you're looking for track upgrades, you have to wade through stupid helmets for your Avatar.

The content browser is crap. The text descriptions are very often truncated and leaving you wonde.....

No, buying stuff on LIVE is no fun at all.

No sign of the test-track as yet, but you can get "Stigs Garage" full of cars to drive on a course that has no relevance to the show.

Not a fan of all the nickle and diming starting to unfold.

I payed $120 for Halo (Dry)Reach. It's mostly useless and now 2 months later they want another $40 for more multiplayer maps.

As if that wasn't bad enough;

- Turn on my xbox, if it detects network access you get spam in your eye by default. Ads for halo maps, advertised using animations that you _never_ see in the actual game.

- Start Halo: OH HAI WE HAVE NEW MAPS

- Try and connect to actually, you know, enjoy a game: SPAM YOU NEED MORE MAPS.....

It's about as much fun as getting told about GIANT FIGHTING ROBOTS AND HOW THEYRE REALLY FUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Fuck spam. Fuck advertising. Fuck product placement.

Weekend = a bit of GT5 time, in between completing the darned KMMH scenery! Will it ever end?!

At level 16, starting to see some definite damage. Whoops, set the suspension a little low:

Yes the RUF 911 is insane, the best powerslides!

Finally won my favourite car of all time, F40, bites you if not ready:

post-985-131369595933_thumb.jpg

post-985-131369595946_thumb.jpg

post-985-131369595961_thumb.jpg

post-985-131369595974_thumb.jpg

post-985-131369595989_thumb.jpg