APP Question

I was doing an approach to EGPH ILS 24. After I captured the G/S the APP button turned off leaving me without F/D guidance ( the F/D was still active but it didn't lead me toward the runaway or my descent rate ). I've tried to capture the ILS three times and it was the same every time. I like to fly my approaches by hand so the AP was turned off, but on my last approach I left the AP on and disabled once the G/S was captured and as soon as I disengaged the A/P the APP button disengaged. This is the first time this has happened so I'm left to wonder if this was a bug or is this a normal behavior that I never noticed?

Edited by Denco

Hi Denco,

I am not really sure what is going on with that. It is normal for the APP button to distinguish (this means that this mode can´t be disengaged by pushing the button) - it is "locked in".

Some common mistakes are:

1.) Having the FD master be on the wrong side (ILS tuned on left, but FD master on right, for example)

2.) Using the disengage bar to disengage the autopilot (this also removes power from the flight-directors)

3.) Forgetting to turn the CRS selector to the inbound course - not the FD (or AP) will turn away from the localizer once it captures

If you could post a video of what you are doing, we could see a bit better what is happening.

Cheers, Jan

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Litjan said:

I am not really sure what is going on with that. It is normal for the APP button to distinguish (this means that this mode can´t be disengaged by pushing the button) - it is "locked in".

I think this pretty much answers my question.

The course, nav radios were both set correctly for the Captain and the First Officer. Now that I think about it it could be that the F/D was working as it should but was off course a bit because of the strong winds. As I remember now the F/D was aligned properly once I was closer to the runaway, but because I was fighting bad weather and extremely low visibility I was to occupied too notice.

Thank you very much for the clarification.

Edited by Denco

Happy you got it sorted - the logic behind the lights on the buttons is always: If it is LIT, it can be pushed again to disengage. It does not mean that the mode is actually ACTIVE (you have to look at the FMA on the primary flight display to see that). ACTIVE modes are green, ARMED modes are white.

Happy flying, Jan

• Upvote 1