Simulator Crashing to Desktop

xterminator24

I'm trying to get back into flying the Saab 340A after shelving it for a while. I am getting consistent crashes to desktop. They are happening at random times, sometimes after only a few minutes, other times it takes up to an hour. In an attempt to fix the issue, I re-installed the Saab 340 yesterday.

As a test, I loaded into the simulator, started the engines and left it running at the gate, after about 40 minutes I got the crash to desktop.

I did read a previous thread on some known issues with the xSaitek Panel plugin so I removed that but the result was the same crash to desktop after some time. 

My simulator runs pretty rock solid with all of my other airplanes, but there are 2 in my hangar that cause crashes to desktop - the Saab A340 and the IXEG 737. The 737 isn't nearly as frequent, but it is still annoying enough that I don't fly it very often.

I'm hoping someone can shine some light on what may be going on so that I can get both the Saab and IXEG running solid like my other payware.

Attached is my log.txt, Gizmo log, crash report, and the crash dump.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I have to think I've got some mis-configuration with Gizmo, or a conflict of some type but I've been unable to track it down after hours and hours of removing plugins and reinstallations.

Thanks!

Log.txt

GizmoLog.txt

crash_report_01_16_2017_15_38_15.rpt

64a6c700-af0d-4947-96a3-b28b86c04487.dmp

46 minutes ago, xterminator24 said:

I also noticed that there is a "Cycle Dump.txt" file that seems to get written to at the time of the crash. If I open it, it looks like it was in the middle of a write and abruptly stopped.

Cycle Dump.txt

Your log shows a lot of stuff installed...

The stand-out items for me are:

1. XSquawkbox - This never really seemed the same after it's port to 64 bit.

I have seen many bugs related to this and am unsure of it's current status with regards to updates / maintainers etc.

2. xEnviro - This plugin is new to the market. For that reason I simply do not have enough user feedback data to know if we have serious issues with it.

Seeing it clash with the Saab is certainly new. There are some known glitches with the 737.

Have you done testing without these two items?

Have you done testing with a basic demo copy without custom scenery?

"I've been unable to track it down after hours and hours of removing plugins and reinstallations." doesn't give me much detail to go on..

A clean start with minimal products installed is what we're going to need to track it down further.

The logs provided indicate that you still have a fully customised sim install.

Thanks @Ben Russell 

I did a bunch of playing around and I think I've figured out the source of my crashes. It appears to be something in X-FMC. I did read that there was some incompatibilities between the GNS530 (which is in the Saab) and XFMC at one point in time. I thought it was resolved in the version I'm using but it appears there is still something strange happening even though the plugin isn't actively being used.

I was able to fly for hours this afternoon without a crash.

Now I need to check my IXEG and see if the random (much less frequent) crashing I had with that may have been related too.

Not sure if this should be in a new post or continuing this one, but I too am getting crashes in XP10.51 with the Saab 340.  Absolutely LOVE the aircraft, nothing I post further is a complaint against it!

But, I too get crashes consistently with this aircraft, sometimes shortly after launch, sometimes an hour or more later.  No other aircraft has had a crash.

I am also running xEnviro.  Is this related?  I run a pretty clean sim, stock plus HD Mesh v3, assorted addon planes, and Xenviro.  Machine is an i7-6700K/16GB/Nvidia 1070.

I have yet to get a crash in any other aircraft, including multiple GA providers, FF757v2, etc.  It's just the Saab that I'm flying when things crash.

I will attach the log.

Thanks, love the plane!

Log.txt

Log2.txt

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:45 AM, Ben Russell said:

2. xEnviro - This plugin is new to the market. For that reason I simply do not have enough user feedback data to know if we have serious issues with it.

Seeing it clash with the Saab is certainly new. There are some known glitches with the 737.

Have you done testing without these two items?

Have you done testing with a basic demo copy without custom scenery?

Hi Ben,

Following up from my last post, I have now had a couple successful flights that have not had any issues while flying the Saab 340.   The only change I have made is I removed the Xenviro folder from the plugins folder.  All my other previous Saab flights since purchasing it last week with Xenviro installed have resulted in a simulator crash.  Oddly, I have not had any other stock or 3rd party aircraft crash with or without Xenviro.

So, seems it's not the Saab itself by any means but some odd interaction between the Saab and Xenviro on my machine at least.  I fully understand this does not make it your problem to troubleshoot, and will explore things from the Xenviro side, but wanted to let you know the results I am getting after further time to test.

Thanks, I will attach the last log that was a 1 hour 40 minute successful flight in the Saab that has previously crashed every time with Xenviro installed.  It's the tutorial flight you guys have included as a baseline.

Allen

And, apologies for the multiple replies, but after further digging, it seems some other users of Xenviro are having the same crash to desktop problem this past week on different aircraft.  So, nothing it seems at all to do with the great Saab, just a fluke in timing of when I was spending a good bit of time learning the Saab and Xenviro apparently having server issues during that same time period.  Until this past week Xenviro was great and stable, but this new turn is quite annoying.

Apologies Ben, hope you didn't spend any time on this.  Love the Saab and can't wait to see what is in store with v2!

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Hmm, I'm going to have to experiment and see if xEnviro is at the root of my problems with the SAAB (I've never had CTD's with other aircraft like the FF Boeings and IXEG 737). I bought the aircraft the other day and out of 7 flights in the plane, XP10's crashed 7 times with it, sometimes while still on the ground, sometimes 20 minutes after takeoff...I've yet to get a single successful flight in the SAAB, which is disappointing.

1 minute ago, Burnspot said:

Hmm, I'm going to have to experiment and see if xEnviro is at the root of my problems with the SAAB (I've never had CTD's with other aircraft like the FF Boeings and IXEG 737). I bought the aircraft the other day and out of 7 flights in the plane, XP10's crashed 7 times with it, sometimes while still on the ground, sometimes 20 minutes after takeoff...I've yet to get a single successful flight in the SAAB, which is disappointing.

please try attaching your 'log.txt' file found on your xplane root folder. There could be there some clues of the issue after the crashes.

Scott,

Since you have several plugins, I would suggest that you remove them all from your X-Plane installation (except Gizmo) and then try loading the Saab.   If everything runs OK you can start adding the plugins back in one-by-one to see which one (if any) may be causing the problem.

1 minute ago, JGregory said:

Scott,

Since you have several plugins, I would suggest that you remove them all from your X-Plane installation (except Gizmo) and then try loading the Saab.   If everything runs OK you can start adding the plugins back in one-by-one to see which one (if any) may be causing the problem.

I'll give that a shot tonight, when I'm finished with my FSE flights for the evening (PC-12 fun). Thanks!

Got one pattern flight in the books with no plugins other than Gizmo.

Loaded up xEnviro as the first test subject as it was mentioned in this thread; setup a flight from KHYI to KFST, and made it to near 15k' before it crashed. So early results do point to xEnviro, which is disappointing as I have not encountered this problem with my other primary aircraft (IXEG 737, FF757v2, STMA PC-12). I'll try a few more flights with it installed and see if the results are the same and run through some of the other plugins.

Edit: Ticket filed with the xEnviro folks, but I'm not sure if it's all on their side or a shared issue.

GizmoLog.txt

Log.txt

Edited by Burnspot

The folks over at xEnviro have given me a few system things to try and I'll do those when I get back home, but they also indicated that since it's only crashing with the Saab, it may indicate an issue with the aircraft. Would the vast number of missing sound files listed in the GizmoLog cause an issue? I'm going to try and re-download/re-install the file from my account tonight and see if I can get a more complete copy as it seems the one I downloaded the other day from the site could be faulty.

The folks over at xEnviro have given me a few system things to try and I'll do those when I get back home, but they also indicated that since it's only crashing with the Saab, it may indicate an issue with the aircraft.

The problem is that we have thousands of customers using the Saab and only on a few rare occasions have we had a conflict.  In most of those cases it turned out to be a third party plugin, not the Saab.  Your log.txt file only shows that X-Plane crashed and is not blaming any specific cause, which makes diagnosing the problem more difficult.  

Would the vast number of missing sound files listed in the GizmoLog cause an issue?

No, that wouldn't.  Those files are being reported as missing as the result of a bug in the sound engine.  The files should be there.  This bug has been fixed and will be part of the upcoming update(s).

Edited by JGregory

56 minutes ago, JGregory said:

The problem is that we have thousands of customers using the Saab and only on a few rare occasions have we had a conflict.  In most of those cases it turned out to be a third party plugin, not the Saab.  Your log.txt file only shows that X-Plane crashed and is not blaming any specific cause, which makes diagnosing the problem more difficult.  

Yep, I understand, no worries. I'm going to do some more playing around with it tonight following xEnviro's suggestions and see if I have any better luck with it. If nothing else, I'll just have to make it SOP to disable everything prior to using the Saab. 

Well, the xEnviro folks may have nailed it. They pointed out that my log file indicated a slightly out of date video driver and apparently some recent Nvidia drivers had been buggy. Updated those and pushed the weather update out beyond every 5 minutes (to 10), loaded all of my plugins (said to heck with it) and set off on a 264nm test flight. Made it through the entire flight successfully....finally. Time will tell if that holds up, but I'm cautiously optimistic that the problem's solved for now. :) 

• Upvote 1

On 01/03/2017 at 0:02 AM, JGregory said:

No, that wouldn't.  Those files are being reported as missing as the result of a bug in the sound engine.  The files should be there.  This bug has been fixed and will be part of the upcoming update(s).

X-Aviation has the new release of the Saab 340A since several weeks, but this release is still not available ...
When I ask when the release is expected, X-Aviation say only "we have no timeline for that !!! " :(

Where is the problem ?

Edited by Goofy