3d render program?

JB_XUSA

Hey guys,

I'm a noob but a learning noob when it comes to the 3d world. There are so many talented 3d artists in this forum I almost don't feel like I can ask noobish questions. I'm starting in the 3d world with simple things. I'm kind of learning my way around in messing with fs objects converted over and imported into ac3d. I know thats not the program of choice but I like it. I wanted to know if you guys had links to rendering programs. Ac3d may have some but I can't seem to find the program through the manuals. I'm not asking for a step by step guide, but some direction in finding some good information. Thanks in advance.

Justin

www.x-usairways.com (coming soon)

I almost don't feel like I can ask noobish questions

This isn't x-plane.org...we're not going to insult you or tear your head off :-)

'Rendering' is a feature that, as you've said, can be a stand along program...like "renderman" or more generally, is included with a 3D modeling program.  There are really no stand-alone rendering programs that are suitable for noobies.  ..and by "rendering" I am assuming you mean render a still image.

The choice then is to use applications that have a rendering engine/application built in...and most 3D applications do like Blender, Lightwave, Maya, Modo, StudioMax, etc.  The problem you face is exporting your 3D work from AC3D and then importing it into one of these applications that have a rendering engine in it.  The cheapest of course is Blender.  Once you have your 3D artwork in that application, you can apply materials and textures and then render.

Hi, Justin,

Traditionally, Tom is right. Good, well done renders take some skill in programs that generally take more skill.

AC3D is limited in it's functionality when it comes to rendering, and relies on 3rd party software.

That said, there are some programs out there that DO try and make it easier. Check this one out and see how you go: http://www.kerkythea.net/joomla/

• 2 weeks later...

First off - I'm heavily biased! :)

I might be offending some skilled modelers now - but I think you get what you pay for, to a certain degree of course. Blender is free. It has great tools - if you can get your head around them. This fits all apps for that matter, but I find it particularly hard to even test Blender..

I chose LightWave 3D as my tool of choice, and I have not regret that investment a second. And when I go into Blender the few times I need to convert from LightWave to X-Plane, I'm struggling so much, even if I have a guide in front of me. But then again, it may be my good or bad habits, along with a totally different interface and how things are done to get the desired result.

I wouldn't go the Max or Maya route. That's a lot of money to throw on a 3D app for X-Plane development unless you're really dedicated to get back whatever you spend on it.

All apps can do the same, but it's the way it's done that makes you either feel good or bad about the workflow. For me it was an interface free of icons that made this good feeling get to me. LightWave is bound to stay in my fingertips for years to come.

As for rendering, I can recommend LightWave. They've won several prizes for it, and it's been said it's one of the fastest and best render engines which is part of an all-round 3D app.

As for pricing, it does cost a little. And it will be slightly more expensive after their new version, LightWave 3D 10 ships.