A question regarding Download links

gcbraun

Hello there, I am back to X-Plane after a while. Just bought an Oculus Rift and the VR experience is so amazing that I could not wait for X-Plane 11 to leave beta.

Being that said, I would like to understand the download link expiration policy from this site. I´ve bought products in dozens of vendors for P3D, FSX and X-Plane and no site has a policy like this. Sure, I can understand and fully support the need for activate/reactivate activation. But, on my case, I have 3 downloads remaining for the IXEG 737 and still I need to contact support for a manual reset because the link expired.

If there is, from what I remember, an activation process after you have installed the plane inside X-Plane, why do I need to ask for manual support just to download the installation file?

Thanks

What stops you from saving your installer in the local drive? Xaviation makes activation in online mode anyway. I don't know frankly speaking why do they limit the number of downloads from the site since it doesn't protect the product from piracy anyways. But just making regular users life a bit more complex. However if you save somewhere your installer it will make your life easier. I don't have any problems because of this limitation even though my downloads expired by the date and I had to reinstall 737 several times trying to make it work with X11. It made few automatic online activation requests and X aviation activated it with no problem without the need of support from help desk.

Cheers, V

Yes, I´ve ended up finding my installer in one of my external hard-drives. I would just like to understand the reason behind this policy. It seems like a double-DRM to me. The problem is not limiting the downloads in my opinion, but that I can only download the file up to a certain date.

Cheers

Edited by gcbraun

Hiya's,

I can imagine one simple scenario, i can think of another but won't post it as if it's as i think it's a great benefit to help protect a product

So, Joe Scummy Freebie Bloggs buys a product

Too lazy to upload the initial download so two scummy mates can get a copy via an online storage site

So a link to the download gets pasted into a conversion box

Hey Presto, a few seconds later three have a download within seconds

As i've seen on this forum several times, one or more fubars the install and has obviously forgot to keep the download for later usage, slot refill is asked for, gets annoyed after being caught out, spouts off about civil liberties etc etc and pledges to sue etc etc

Drops off the face of the earth err forum with tail between the legs

Actually thought up another scenario, again, i'll keep that to myself

To me, if you've got nothing to hide you have no worries regarding asking for slot activations

I didn't really know how much hastle companies in the flight sim world have to go to trying to protect their investment, i do now lol and here's an example

My first Catstrator Twitch Stream i think it was, there i was watching a plane being put through its paces, i'm pretty sure it was the IXEG 733, anyways, had a whisper popup, scared the stuffing out of me i was that engrossed in the stream

'Hello, i'm so n so, have you got a link to the download please ?' Ballcocks says i, buy ya own, or polite wording to that effect

For me two three or unlimited now means nothing to me, save your first and you're in good stead, if it stops scummers killing off something i like and chuck money at, i say do what the heck you can to stop them and keep working and producing for ones who love the end product and are willing to buy to support development/s, if it takes a step of three slots or a varification every six months so be it

Tony

• Upvote 3

Hey guys,

How long does it usually take to hear back from them regarding a ticket? I contacted them almost two weeks ago about resetting my link to download the IXEG to install it in XP-11 but had no luck. Tried posting under the HELP tab in this forum but my post was swiftly removed. On another similar post locked by the moderator I read that any post asking about specific tickets will be removed so I'm a bit afraid of asking/posting again in case I'm met with a ban as retaliation. Also tried contacting their support email directly but still no luck.

I'm one of the few it seems that did not save a copy of the installer as a backup. What can I do? Wait till their investigation is over, if so how long does it take? Why are they avoiding me and giving me no real reasons denying or accepting my request? 

Please help!

Thank you for your prompt response mmerelles,

I initially contacted them through the "Request Reset" next to my product and received a ticket number on Jan 3rd. Waited for a week since I did not hear back and I sent them an email through support@x-aviation.com. No dice again so I decided to create a post and ask about my case, post got deleted.

I believe all protocols were followed and so posting here is my last resort.

Given your explanation maybe their internal tools detected your key was shared/distributed which violates the license terms and constitutes serious stuff.

Nobody here on the forums can know/help on that, this is just a mere assumption on my side and could be wrong. If you got nothing to hide, nothing to worry then, it will be addressed.

I wouldn't be here exposing my case if I had something to hide. 

I'm just frustrated at the utter lack of respect to a paying customer. This is not the only addon I've bought from them and I'm just dreading the fact that I'll have to go through this process (if it gets resolved) to get an activation key for the SAAB and MU-2.

It's strange that my link to SkyMaxPro got reset till this upcoming March (one of my first purchases) and all of the planes I've bought got expired links. Need me to download it so I can pay for the upgrade? 

My apologies if it seems that I'm directing any anger or bad energy towards you, at least you replied and tried to help and I sincerely thank you.

The download link expiry is a "feature" of the store software Cameron uses.

It is not coupled to the DRM systems. It's just a crude date based system.

I'm currently working on a refresh of the activation systems so hopefully we can at least un-log-jam that.

The aim is a self managed system somewhat like iTunes movie content.

• Upvote 2