Can you enter any flight info in the FMC after takeoff?

I had taken off last night just to work on some procedures..with no flight plan entered...and once I was up at 12000' I wanted to enter an arrival at a nearby airport..and it wouldn't let me.Is this normal in the real world? or do you have to enter all info prior to push back? I couldn't enter anything..fuel weight..nothing.It seems to me a quirk or something...appreciate any info you might have.

6 minutes ago, lineman55 said:

I had taken off last night just to work on some procedures..with no flight plan entered...and once I was up at 12000' I wanted to enter an arrival at a nearby airport..and it wouldn't let me.Is this normal in the real world? or do you have to enter all info prior to push back? I couldn't enter anything..fuel weight..nothing.It seems to me a quirk or something...appreciate any info you might have.

Hello

When im doing some tests I often do a takeoff without any ORIGIN or destination aiport.

You can enter a destination airport at RTE page. When you have done that you can select a arrival.

To get the correct approach speeds you also need to enter your ZFW at the PERF page. You should be able to do that in the air also.

On 1/12/2017 at 9:14 AM, Tom Stian said:

Hello

When im doing some tests I often do a takeoff without any ORIGIN or destination aiport.

You can enter a destination airport at RTE page. When you have done that you can select a arrival.

To get the correct approach speeds you also need to enter your ZFW at the PERF page. You should be able to do that in the air also.

for some reason I cant enter ZFW in the PERF..... I have destination airport ok...cant enter any fuel info..?

if you choose PREFERENCES in the pop out window on left in the cockpit...that was my only source for ZFW to work from while already in flight.I can get it before the flight no problem and input no problem..just while in the air after I take off .. wouldnt these numbers work as well?

Edited by lineman55