Is there a way to turn up the brightness of the lights on the overhead and forward panel?

BTW, I'm not referring to overall brightness of the cockpit which would be provided by the dome light and panel brightness button. 

I'm referring to the illuminated signs and messages that appear in the consoles that are overhead, in the forward and pedestal panels. They seem a little dim to me compared to real-world B734 flight deck.

I am confused what you are asking for. There are tons of light switches and dimmers in the Cockpit. On the overhead and the pedestal they both have their own panel dimmers labeled "Panel" This will adjust the brightness of the Labels for each instrument/switch. There of course is the White dome above the circuit breakers where the switch is located on the upper most panel and has a Bright/Dim toggle. Then there is the super bright Cockpit light above in the overhead panel where the dimmer switch is located on the pedestal next to the panel dimmer. Then of course you have the other light switches in front of each pilot for maps and the main Panel. When turned on, it is like daytime, so i am not sure what you are having difficulty seeing unless your monitor brightness is very low.

58 minutes ago, criley said:

I am confused what you are asking for. There are tons of light switches and dimmers in the Cockpit. On the overhead and the pedestal they both have their own panel dimmers labeled "Panel" This will adjust the brightness of the Labels for each instrument/switch. There of course is the White dome above the circuit breakers where the switch is located on the upper most panel and has a Bright/Dim toggle. Then there is the super bright Cockpit light above in the overhead panel where the dimmer switch is located on the pedestal next to the panel dimmer. Then of course you have the other light switches in front of each pilot for maps and the main Panel. When turned on, it is like daytime, so i am not sure what you are having difficulty seeing unless your monitor brightness is very low.

Sorry about the confusion. Not sure how to describe this...

The individual light switches have their own light sources. It seems in the IXEG, that they are a little dimmer than the actual panel in a 737CL. Can I adjust how these individual lights on the switches?

I would imagine if I did a night time flight, that I could turn up the lights behind the panel to have these switches and buttons more prominent in the panel. 

gdggd.jpg

Edited by heyjoojoo

I don't really understand what you are saying. I assume you mean the bad readability on

the panel itself and the very bright annunciators.

Now this photo is a representation of the true world. Photocells do not have the same

ability to depict differences in brightness, as out eyes do. In other words, our eyes

have a higher dynamic range than the sensors of a camera have.

Try this: If it ever turns spring again, take your smartphone, go out on the field,

take a photo of the sun with ground visible. Now take a photo of the ground with

the sun visible. You'll notice: the first photo shows the sun, while ground is dark.

The second photo shows ground, while the sun is not really visible, it's just a

huge, very bright spot on the pic. If you look at it with your eyes, you'll get a

quite different impression B)

Thats what happened on the photo you posted, the dynamic range of the camera

is just different from the eye.

47 minutes ago, frumpy said:

I don't really understand what you are saying. I assume you mean the bad readability on

the panel itself and the very bright annunciators.

Now this photo is a representation of the true world. Photocells do not have the same

ability to depict differences in brightness, as out eyes do. In other words, our eyes

have a higher dynamic range than the sensors of a camera have.

Try this: If it ever turns spring again, take your smartphone, go out on the field,

take a photo of the sun with ground visible. Now take a photo of the ground with

the sun visible. You'll notice: the first photo shows the sun, while ground is dark.

The second photo shows ground, while the sun is not really visible, it's just a

huge, very bright spot on the pic. If you look at it with your eyes, you'll get a

quite different impression B)

Thats what happened on the photo you posted, the dynamic range of the camera

is just different from the eye.

Not really. The photo was either taken at night or the "lights" were adjusted to appear that way. Either way, it required input from the pilots to change it. It's not like a cell phone which uses "auto brightness". The lights are manually adjusted within the flight deck.

So are you saying that those annuciator lights cannot be brightened manually? 

Edited by heyjoojoo
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, frumpy said:

No, I was talking about other stuff.

Anyway, if the light-switch above the backup horizon is on BRT, all is fine.

Hahahaha....  correct. It probably is "right" for some but that's not what I'm asking. 

I'm asking if it can be adjusted. Sounds like maybe you're not sure?

• Downvote 1

• Morten locked this topic
15 hours ago, heyjoojoo said:

Hahahaha....  correct. It probably is "right" for some but that's not what I'm asking. 

I'm asking if it can be adjusted. Sounds like maybe you're not sure?

And just to give you a concise answer to your question - yes, they could be adjusted, but not by the user, only by us, the developers. And we won´t, because we feel they are correct. The picture you show is overexposing the lights, if the annunciators in my cockpit had ever been that bright, I would have grounded the aircraft because that is VERY disturbing during a night flight.

So while your personal preference may be to have them more bright, we provide no means to adjust lights to personal preference, unfortunately.

Jan

• Upvote 1