RWC dropping vis down to 10mile

45South

Ok, So I'm kinda new to all this so I apologise in advance if I'm asking stupid questions but I'm having a hard time getting my head around all this stuff. I am running XP11 with skymax pro4.0.1 and RWC1.1

Where does RWC download it's METAR from? The reason I ask is that when I start a flight at an airport with known vis greater than 10km it (RWC I presume) always drops in this haze and when I look in the x-plane weather settings vis is set at 10mile. I have download real weather settings checked in xplane and have tried both auto and always in RWC. It seems to get the winds right but on loading I can see clear blue to the horizon and then a few seconds later when it kicks in it drops in the haze to reduce vis.

Also, I like to fly in the local area where I live from a small regional field (NZMO) there's no METAR available here so what happens then? What I don't understand is RWC gets the wind right but no clouds seen in sim when clearly clouds out the window. How can it get wind data but not cloud?

Thanks

Ok - thanks for your quick response Cameron (always reassuring to get timely feedback from developers - much appreciated). So it's x-plane dropping the vis? It's just that I was getting pretty good frames (30-40), I thought it didn't intervene until down around 20? I'll keep experimenting. Cheers.

Ok - thanks for your quick response Cameron (always reassuring to get timely feedback from developers - much appreciated). So it's x-plane dropping the vis? It's just that I was getting pretty good frames (30-40), I thought it didn't intervene until down around 20? I'll keep experimenting. Cheers.

I don't know Laminar's official "policy" on this since XP 11 is so new, but I'm pretty sure it was 10 miles to keep your sim running smooth. But yes, it would be X-Plane dropping it, not us. That said, X-Plane 11 is still in its infancy and I would expect big improvements in the next weeks to month on the performance side, which should ultimately alleviate this.

Of course, none of this applies if you're actually using X-Plane 10. If that's the case then I'd be scratching my head.

Thanks trev, do you know how far out from the station the metar will be active for? Is it  a standard distance/radius across the xplane globe or does it vary station to station? On a side issue I've just found out about NZ Ultimate scenery being developed, i think to complement the currently available HD mesh v3. Looks good.