[FAQ]Solution to freeze and stutter using FMC

sthenion

• 4 weeks later...

Better performance is something the team strives for with every release. It is however secondary to correct performance.

The IXEG systems code is a considerably large and complex piece of work.

It is unreasonable to expect a complete performance review in one point release.

Instead I encourage the team to make performance revisions on each sub system of code that they actively work on over time.

This let's them most effectively attack both objectives of rich systems simulation and performance improvements with the limited man hours they have to work with.

Been flying the 737 since it was first released and only with this latest version have I noticed the stutters.  They seem to occur every second or so like a heartbeat, as describe in this topic.  I have indeed tried to disable all AI aircraft but to no avail.  I also need to test this again but I have a feeling perhaps the radar is the culprit.  I did a flight last night and noticed that it was rather stutter free (though I was flying over water so not sure if this was due to reduced object overhead) at least until I realized I had forgotten to turn the radar on.  Once I did the stutters started, and even after shutting the radar off they seemed to hang around.  Again I need to test more but that's what I initially found.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, deimos256 said:

Been flying the 737 since it was first released and only with this latest version have I noticed the stutters.  They seem to occur every second or so like a heartbeat, as describe in this topic.  I have indeed tried to disable all AI aircraft but to no avail.  I also need to test this again but I have a feeling perhaps the radar is the culprit.  I did a flight last night and noticed that it was rather stutter free (though I was flying over water so not sure if this was due to reduced object overhead) at least until I realized I had forgotten to turn the radar on.  Once I did the stutters started, and even after shutting the radar off they seemed to hang around.  Again I need to test more but that's what I initially found.

Given the overheard of terrain scanning this does not surprise me at all.

Well spotted. I'll be sure to raise it.

On 7/25/2017 at 2:10 AM, deimos256 said:

Well I guess I spoke too soon.  Just did a quick flight with the radar off and still got the constant "throb" of pauses.  

I have also had MACRO stutters came with IXEG 733 v1.2 and Gizmo plugin. This is not I expectected from IXEG... :(

1- Is there any setup to get rid of these stutters?

2- I bought, installad and activated the plane on 13th July but I cannot used it since yesterday. Yesterday it asked me again to activate my x-pilot licence. Could you please explain what is the point of this situation?

Regards.

Hakan Yalcinkaya 

i7 4770K, 16GB, GTX 1080, 850EVO 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, Acer H243H 24', Win7 Pro 64-bit/ sp1 ,Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X Joystick
 X-plane11, IXEG B733 v1.2, FF 767-300. AIRAC Data Ver: Latest

Edited by ehakan

Hi Hakan,

The "stutters" that people experience are very dependent on your hardware setup. I get subjectively very smooth gameplay. Most people seem content, but a few experience what they consider unacceptable pauses. I am not sure what the cause is, so my advice is just in general to make sure you have enough computing power (CPU, GPU) for the rendering settings you set up, and also to stop as much as possible any other programs running in the background on your system.

To activate your license you just need to enter your customer email and the password you set up. Then it should do it. There is also different ways to set up the Gatekeeper DRM (look in the pop-out panel on the right side of your screen) to automatically do this, so it won´t ask you every two weeks.

I hope this helps, Jan

I respectfully disagree that this is a hardware issue for several reasons

1. I have gone forwards in terms of specs, upgrading my CPU and RAM, while maintaining the same graphics settings as I did on my older hardware, and my experience with the 733 is worse now than before.

2. The above point is rather moot as I've found that this pause issue has only started after updating the plane to 1.2.  Prior to this update I had a relatively pause-free experience.

3. This is the only aircraft where I experience this issue.  Doing the same flights in the same weather conditions and same time of day with comparable aircraft in terms of systems depth and visual fidelity, I get no such pauses.

4.  The pauses happen only when I start turning on systems in the 733.  I haven't nailed down exactly when they start yet.

Ok So I went and started cold and dark and checked for the pauses after each step in getting the plane ready for flight, I got all the way through powering the plane on, starting APU, aligning IRS, entering and checking flight plan, through starting engines.  Up to this  point I have no pauses.  The next step for me is transferring power from the APU to engine generators, setting the pressurization, turn on yaw damper, turn on window and probe heat, and turn on engine bleeds.  Somewhere in that process the pauses began.  I then reversed all the steps I did to see if the stutters would stop, they did not.  Perhaps they just happen to start at a particular point in time and are not dependent on an action I'm performing in the cockpit.  I have attached my X-Plane log as well as my Gizmo log.  Hopefully this will help.

GizmoLog.txt

Log.txt

Edited by deimos256
Additional details
  • Upvote 1

There is some "heartbeat like" variation in the framerate - it is due to certain systems doing calculations only every few seconds instead of every frame (to help with general performance). There is also some background work done by gizmo, and Ben has greatly reduced that effect with one of the last gizmo updates.

Here is what I see on my system when sitting on the ramp at a big airport. My base framerate is ca. 24 fps and it dips down to ca. 20 fps every 3 seconds (a 18% drop). Here is a picture of the graph:

Framerate test.jpg

While the whole team continues to strive for better (and smoother!) performance, this is something I barely notice, but of course your personal sensitivity to these variations may be very different.

If you run at a higher framerate, the relative effect is stronger - sitting at Bermuda Islands Intl I get 60fps, and it dips down to 40 fps. So the drop is 33%, but of course the "lower" framerate is much better (40) than in the first example.

What kind of drop do you see?

Thanks, Jan

41 minutes ago, Litjan said:

There is some "heartbeat like" variation in the framerate - it is due to certain systems doing calculations only every few seconds instead of every frame (to help with general performance). There is also some background work done by gizmo, and Ben has greatly reduced that effect with one of the last gizmo updates.

Here is what I see on my system when sitting on the ramp at a big airport. My base framerate is ca. 24 fps and it dips down to ca. 20 fps every 3 seconds (a 18% drop). Here is a picture of the graph:

Framerate test.jpg

While the whole team continues to strive for better (and smoother!) performance, this is something I barely notice, but of course your personal sensitivity to these variations may be very different.

If you run at a higher framerate, the relative effect is stronger - sitting at Bermuda Islands Intl I get 60fps, and it dips down to 40 fps. So the drop is 33%, but of course the "lower" framerate is much better (40) than in the first example.

What kind of drop do you see?

Thanks, Jan

Im my case:

Drop from 60fps to around 50/55fps. Heartbeat like on the picture above.

5 hours ago, Litjan said:

Hi Hakan,

The "stutters" that people experience are very dependent on your hardware setup. I get subjectively very smooth gameplay. Most people seem content, but a few experience what they consider unacceptable pauses. I am not sure what the cause is, so my advice is just in general to make sure you have enough computing power (CPU, GPU) for the rendering settings you set up, and also to stop as much as possible any other programs running in the background on your system.

To activate your license you just need to enter your customer email and the password you set up. Then it should do it. There is also different ways to set up the Gatekeeper DRM (look in the pop-out panel on the right side of your screen) to automatically do this, so it won´t ask you every two weeks.

I hope this helps, Jan

Thank you for reply Jan,

I'm not sure my PC's computing power capable to handle IXEG 733 v1.2, but it is easly handle other 64bit flight sims and complex add-ons.

As mentioned my first post PC specs are

Intel i7 4770K @ 4.3 Ghz (delided)

Corsair H90 AiO Cooler

16GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 2400 @ 1600MHz Ram

MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X+ 8GB

Samsung 850EVO 1TB SSD

Samsung 2TB SATA HDD

Acer H243H 24' @ 1920x1080

Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X Joystick

Win7 Pro 64-bit/ sp1 ,
X-plane11, IXEG B733 v1.2, FF 767-300 pro. AIRAC Data Ver: Latest

X-plane setup is below,

AV disabled, Only plugin is FlywithLua and script is terrain radar for default 737  and 747. 

kWRBYv.jpg

I'm at Gatwick ap and touching nothing.

N1JAbk.jpg

aGR3Bd.jpg

Preparing to t/o from rw27.

By the way I've already ticked "automatically update my licence" box. But it expired... How come?  

YNRk5D.jpg

I'm at 5500feet, touching nothing, just looking my "hearbeart" and thinking what is the cause of this... (No trim wheel, no beacon, nothing)

Ddq2ky.jpg

I know smoke is xp11 issue but I think on 733 it's a little bit exagerated. So that I cannot see the plane in chese view...

mkZ682.jpg

Thank you for this beautiful plane...

Regards..

Hakan Yalcinkaya

Hi Hakan,

your PC is certainly powerful enough, and getting over 30fps is good. I see your heartbeat spikes, and they are pretty much what everyone else expects. I think there is nothing else you can do to make it better. So please bear with us as we try to improve this - but I can not promise anything. We could move the code to "every" frame, but then the plane would run slow the whole time, instead of only every few seconds. I am not sure what is more desirable.

You have NOT checked the correct box - you must check the "automatically update my license at sim start" as well. You can uncheck the lowest box ("notify me...") if you don´t care to get notified when it happens.

Oh, and be careful not to turn on "airshow smoke" by accident (I think key "X" is default) - it looks like you have that running.

Cheers, Jan

Edited by Litjan
  • Upvote 1

On the contrary I think coding at every frame would be beneficial.  I've stressed this to Laminar as well with their recent blitz on frame rates, which have also caused stutters where there never used to be any, high frame rates are useless if they aren't stable.  Stutters due to fluctuating frame rates are far more jarring and noticeable than a low frame rate, which is why you have people setting their refresh rate and FPS limiters to 30, because they value smoothness over FPS.  FPS turns into a number that gets used as a bragging point.  I understand Laminar's push for high frame rates because of VR but that sad fact is the stutters that they are causing because of this will kill the experience.  They've also acknowledged they exist and they won't go away until Vulkan, which won't be any time soon.  Sorry for the deviation from the matter at hand but I feel they are related in terms of what developers tend to focus on.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Litjan said:

Hi Hakan,

your PC is certainly powerful enough, and getting over 30fps is good. I see your heartbeat spikes, and they are pretty much what everyone else expects. I think there is nothing else you can do to make it better. So please bear with us as we try to improve this - but I can not promise anything. We could move the code to "every" frame, but then the plane would run slow the whole time, instead of only every few seconds. I am not sure what is more desirable.

You have NOT checked the correct box - you must check the "automatically update my license at sim start" as well. You can uncheck the lowest box ("notify me...") if you don´t care to get notified when it happens.

Oh, and be careful not to turn on "airshow smoke" by accident (I think key "X" is default) - it looks like you have that running.

Cheers, Jan

Thank you for quick support Jan,

I'm still learning x-plane so you're right, "X" key solved the smoke issue. I also checked tick boxes you stated on Gizmo preferences...

Thank you for your help. 

Kind regards.

Hakan Yalcinkaya

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, deimos256 said:

On the contrary I think coding at every frame would be beneficial.  I've stressed this to Laminar as well with their recent blitz on frame rates, which have also caused stutters where there never used to be any, high frame rates are useless if they aren't stable.  Stutters due to fluctuating frame rates are far more jarring and noticeable than a low frame rate, which is why you have people setting their refresh rate and FPS limiters to 30, because they value smoothness over FPS.  FPS turns into a number that gets used as a bragging point.  I understand Laminar's push for high frame rates because of VR but that sad fact is the stutters that they are causing because of this will kill the experience.  They've also acknowledged they exist and they won't go away until Vulkan, which won't be any time soon.  Sorry for the deviation from the matter at hand but I feel they are related in terms of what developers tend to focus on.

I certainly see your point!

We will continue to pursue making IXEG more smooth.

Cheers, Jan

• Upvote 1

Hi Knight,

yes, you are encountering (from what I can tell from the video) the same antivirus I/O live-checking problem that everyone else is.

You can read up on the first post of this thread on how to solve it.

Cheers, Jan

PS: I enjoy your cool livestreams with our plane!

Edited by Litjan

21 hours ago, Litjan said:

Hi Knight,

yes, you are encountering (from what I can tell from the video) the same antivirus I/O live-checking problem that everyone else is.

You can read up on the first post of this thread on how to solve it.

Cheers, Jan

PS: I enjoy your cool livestreams with our plane!

That fixed it thanks. :D

Hi!

Just something that might help people using Windows Defender like I am: the tip works, but only if you exlude the X-plane folder too, and just not the x-plane exe and/or process.

I didn't read properly at first and just exluded the exe file. :)

Edited by tabugman
  • Upvote 2

• Litjan unpinned this topic