[FAQ]Solution to freeze and stutter using FMC

sthenion

Jan;

I’m experiencing a similar FMC issue, I’ll be flying along at regular 40-60 frame rate and all is normal, the moment I make any new imput into the FMC the sim is reduced to a grinding haul of 2-3 frame rate that persists until I restart the sim.

So I fly without making any change to the FMC. 

Could this issue I’m experiencing be associated with that Window Defender?

Edited by Push_IT_Up

4 hours ago, Push_IT_Up said:

Jan;

I’m experiencing a similar FMC issue, I’ll be flying along at regular 40-60 frame rate and all is normal, the moment I make any new imput into the FMC the sim is reduced to a grinding haul of 2-3 frame rate that persists until I restart the sim.

So I fly without making any change to the FMC. 

Could this issue I’m experiencing be associated with that Window Defender?

Yes - please follow the advice posted here:

Jan

On 23/2/2018 at 9:40 AM, crisk73 said:

Hi, that's a known issue since the very first release. See a dedicated thread in the FAQ section. It seems like it depends on the way Gizmo manages the Lua garbage collector. More or less noticeable depending on specific rig configurations. The developers are aware of it and said that there is room for improvement over the next releases.

FYI - take it as a workaround - using v-sync adaptive mode half refresh rate seems to mitigate or even eliminate the effect.

This is strange, my thread has been moved inside this thread about FMC and freezing!

I couldn't find it anymore...

Thanks crisk and Ben for the details, I will try to set v-sync to adaptive mode half refresh rate and see if it helps

Edit 2018-02-28:

I have tried with "v-sync adaptive half refresh rate" and the drops are completly gone.

My CPU and GPU are almost running idle and barely warming up now.

The compromise is that framerate is "only" 30fps now, I will try to perform some flights and see if this is not good enough.

Cheers

Sylvain

Edited by Syl20
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

being a long fan of IXEG let me share some not so nice experience in native VR. Since I do not use falt screen any longer its important to me. IXEG is unflyable in VR due to the poor programming techniques. You definitely needs to revise your code since it generates periodical (every 0.7 sec - 1sec) stutters. Its not noticable in 2D but VR is more demanding to the CPU usage, so occuping CPU every second is no go. I though it was a problem of my rig that was not top notch, but few days back I finally get i7-8700K and it suffers the same problem.

I can live with massive hanging when FMC activate the route, but the issue I described above is a showstopper. Other products doesnt cause such a problems.

Again I am not talking about overall CPU load, its ok for this type of complexity, but something in your code runs approximately every half a second and occupying CPU too much. Please consider to balance the load over the time.

Thanks! Cheers, Vitaly

2 hours ago, vitabutch said:

Again I am not talking about overall CPU load, its ok for this type of complexity, but something in your code runs approximately every half a second and occupying CPU too much. Please consider to balance the load over the time.

There is such a selection in the latest Gizmo to run in a more smoothed manner, or spiked manner. Try it out.

Other than this, VR is certainly not a priority for the time being. Laminar is not even providing developers access SDK wise to it until they are far from out of many beta phases (personal discussion I had with Ben Supnik).

At best, VR is a novelty for the moment.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cameron said:

There is such a selection in the latest Gizmo to run in a more smoothed manner, or spiked manner. Try it out.

Other than this, VR is certainly not a priority for the time being. Laminar is not even providing developers access SDK wise to it until they are far from out of many beta phases (personal discussion I had with Ben Supnik).

At best, VR is a novelty for the moment.

You have made my day, Cameron! Now I am back in 737CL seat!

You mentioned Gizmo garbage collector, right? It didnt cure the issue completely but made this stutter effect MUCH-MUCH less!

I tried smooth fps setting and it has made it worth, but setting both parameters ~200 made the stutters showing once a several second and almost unnoticable. Do you know any webpage to read about both parameters in Gizmo64 garbage collector to tune it in more educated way? Many thanks in advance!

5 minutes ago, vitabutch said:

I tried smooth fps setting and it has made it worth, but setting both parameters ~200 made the stutters showing once a several second and almost unnoticable. Do you know any webpage to read about both parameters in Gizmo64 garbage collector to tune it in more educated way? Many thanks in advance!

Most positive experiences I have read have been settings of 300 or 500. @Litjan personally likes 500.

There's no documentation on this feature, but it really does require your own playing around since every machine is going to react differently. Try either of these settings out and see how it goes.

15 minutes ago, vitabutch said:

You have made my day, Cameron! Now I am back in 737CL seat!

You mentioned Gizmo garbage collector, right? It didnt cure the issue completely but made this stutter effect MUCH-MUCH less!

27972322_2023364461286439_39986720219771

Trigger threshold is "pause" and cleaner strength is "step multiplier" when referenced against this page from the Lua manual;

https://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/manual.html#2.10

Some safety limits have been imposed so that Gizmo can't be configured to use endless amounts of RAM as it would eventually crash X-Plane. (There is a 1 or 2 gig pool shared among all Lua plugins...)

Nice to hear that the new options are helping people. I will probably adjust the default values to suit the common preference for more ram usage with a large spike less often. (300 / 200, or so...)

Edited by Ben Russell

7 hours ago, vitabutch said:

Hi guys,

being a long fan of IXEG let me share some not so nice experience in native VR. Since I do not use falt screen any longer its important to me. IXEG is unflyable in VR due to the poor programming techniques. You definitely needs to revise your code since it generates periodical (every 0.7 sec - 1sec) stutters. Its not noticable in 2D but VR is more demanding to the CPU usage, so occuping CPU every second is no go. I though it was a problem of my rig that was not top notch, but few days back I finally get i7-8700K and it suffers the same problem.

I can live with massive hanging when FMC activate the route, but the issue I described above is a showstopper. Other products doesnt cause such a problems.

Thanks! Cheers, Vitaly

Hi Vitaly,

as Cameron said, try the new "garbage collector" setting in gizmo, it works great for me. I run a similiar processor and have a very smooth experience, also in VR.

The stutter when "changing flightplan" is due to your antivirus software interfering, please create an exception for the X-Plane folder and it will be perfectly smooth.

Cheers, Jan

7 hours ago, Ben Russell said:

Nice to hear that the new options are helping people. I will probably adjust the default values to suit the common preference for more ram usage with a large spike less often. (300 / 200, or so...)

Thats a very good idea! Current default settings didnt work well on both of my rigs in VR. Just I wild idea about this info to be announced to the users maybe by splash screen during installation of updates? Not all of them reads forum and I also can miss this information. The garbage collector settings affects performance a lot. Now I can fly with VR and traffic (Xlife) shitched on. Many thanks again for the great product and for your help here :)

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, vitabutch said:

Thats a very good idea! Current default settings didnt work well on both of my rigs in VR. Just I wild idea about this info to be announced to the users maybe by splash screen during installation of updates? Not all of them reads forum and I also can miss this information. The garbage collector settings affects performance a lot. Now I can fly with VR and traffic (Xlife) shitched on. Many thanks again for the great product and for your help here :)

A good suggestion for the future...

• 1 month later...

I am trying to understand if it is only me facing the issue. When I tried to modify the vertical altitude profile (VNAV mode) in the FMC during flight, the frame rates was dropping to below 1FPS. And I turned off my Malware tool running in the background.. Didnt help.

for example if one of the legs has 240/FL180, I was trying to modify it to /10000. The screen would freeze for a couple of seconds and the EXEC key would glow. If I clicked it, FPS would be pathetic.

Can some one having dealt with this situation share their experience???

it seems windows defender (or similar) is still running on the background.

if you are windows make sure you go to windows defender configuration and set a folder (not file) exemption for the entire /xplane 11/ root folder, this should cure the problem

Otheriwse please try going to taskbar and see what process is killing the cpu

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, mmerelles said:

it seems windows defender (or similar) is still running on the background.

if you are windows make sure you go to windows defender configuration and set a folder (not file) exemption for the entire /xplane 11/ root folder, this should cure the problem

Otheriwse please try going to taskbar and see what process is killing the cpu

I haven’t tried the option yet, I will report back with what I will find after this modification...Thanks for the reply.

On 4/21/2018 at 3:18 PM, vnangli said:

I haven’t tried the option yet, I will report back with what I will find after this modification...Thanks for the reply.

It worked perfectly..

I came across a new problem altogether.

Here is whats happens 

1) I program my FMC for KSBN -> KORD (PRADY, ILS RWY 28R VOLGR transition). It is a short flight

2) I dialled the ILS frequencies (111.10) for the Captain as well as First officer, entered the CRS as 273 for both 

3) During flight and after crossing VOLGR, I engaged LOC. While the LNAV and VNAV was still active 

4) This is where the crazy things happen, as soon as the LOC is captured the plane would completely fly away from the APPROACH course. I mean it would start flying to the left. At this time, I had to re-engage LNAV and press LOC when plane lined with the approach path WPTS. It would now capture localizer as if nothing had happened. The CRS remained unaltered. I would then engage APP to land

Can someone please help me understand what’s happening here? I repeated this exercise over 4 times (flew from KIND to KORD, chose ILS 28R, VOLGR transition) it did exactly the same thing as mentioned in 4th bulleted point. I checked the CRS for 28R in Chicago O hare’s details, it is 273 (www.airnav.com)

Edited by vnangli
  • Upvote 1

If you check out the airport in the map view (M) you can see that the opposite ILS (runway 10L)  also has the frequency 111.10. I think it may be possible that you are catching a signal for that ILS inititally. To check that theory, click the checkbox on the general setting page in X-Plane 11 that says "Disable downwind ILSes".

Let me know how that goes!

Jan

• Upvote 2

On 4/23/2018 at 2:01 AM, Litjan said:

If you check out the airport in the map view (M) you can see that the opposite ILS (runway 10L)  also has the frequency 111.10. I think it may be possible that you are catching a signal for that ILS inititally. To check that theory, click the checkbox on the general setting page in X-Plane 11 that says "Disable downwind ILSes".

Let me know how that goes!

Jan

Disabling downward ILSes did the job... My flight was predictable today. Thank you for the guidance.

have a great day 

vijay

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

thanks excluding Xplane folder from the windows defender has made this so smooth to fly now, cant believe ive been struggling all this time with the FMS. Now  i punch a way point in or change FL in mid flight no more stops, crashes or stutters and no fps drops, boom like a pocket rocket a different aircraft, even the MCP is more responsive.. so happy

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hey guys!!

Well, I have read everything and would like to add my report:

First of all, I have the same issue in both 11.40 and 11.50 version. I have the latest 733 version installed btw!!

It happens only in flight whenever I have a major change to do into the CDU, dct routes, whatever requires the EXEC function. The fps drops to around 0.4 until I execute the change, then things go back to normal.

I have tried everything, windows defender, firewall, the are all deactivated. My notebook is a i5 7th, gforce 940mx 4gb and 8gb ram.

Thanks for your help!!

Best Regards!!

Hey guys!!
First of all, I have the same issue in both 11.40 and 11.50 version. I have the latest 733 version installed btw!!
It happens only in flight whenever I have a major change to do into the CDU, dct routes, whatever requires the EXEC function. The fps drops to around 0.4 until I execute the change, then things go back to normal.
I have tried everything, windows defender, firewall, the are all deactivated. My notebook is a i5 7th, gforce 940mx 4gb and 8gb ram.

Thanks for your help!!
Best Regards!!

The only cause for this would be Defender or anti virus. You're not doing something right it seems.

58 minutes ago, Cameron said:

The only cause for this would be Defender or anti virus. You're not doing something right it seems.

Hello!

Well, I have double checked and there is nothing regarding the win defender running on my Task manager..I dont even have an anti-virus installed..its really curious. Should I try to activate and put an exception for xplane?

thanks again!!

1 hour ago, tpgiovanni said:

Hey guys!!

Thanks for your help!!

Best Regards!!

you need to put a folder (not file, folder) exemption on the windows defender for the entire /xplane 11/, this will cure the problems.

• Like 1

• Litjan unpinned this topic