Strange cloud shadow on XP11

Souf

Hi,

With SMP4 on XP11 I have strange edges on cloud shadow on ground. They are very sharp as shown on screenshot.

I have these sharp edge on ground cloud shadow no matter what cloud shadow I set (0.05 to maximum shows this sharp edges).

Anybody have the same issue ?

CloudShadow.png

Around LFKC I saw some rather odd reflections or shadows on the cockpit window (canopy? I don't know all my aviation terms!) but they weren't associated with cloud shadows - rather shadows in general.

Souf, do you remember where you were flying there? Does it happen in external views as well?

If i remember correct, i was following the D81 direction south and southwest.

When i saw the sharp edge of whatever, i first thougt it was the underlying orthophotos. Sometimes the photos were taken at different times, so the colours do not match. But that was not the case. I then paused the sim and went into SkyMaxx's Cloud Configuration and disabled the cloudshadows. Immediately the issue was gone with the cloudshadows. Turning on the cloudshadows again brought back the sharp shadowedges.

Edited by scorpio2001de

Looking at the code, the only explanation I can think of is that the terrain in this brighter area is above the stated base of the cloud layer (or 2000 meters if no broken or scattered layers are present). We remove shadows in that case.

This should be a fairly rare situation that's existed since the beginning with SMP - but the right thing to do is the remove shadows if the terrain is above the top of the clouds, not the bottom. I'll code up a fix for our next release.

Thanks for the report.

Edited by sundog
  • Upvote 1