Possible bug in extended cloud coverage with SkyMaxx v4

IndiB

Hello.

Took the X-Plane 11 MD-80 for a spin to test out the extended cloud distances.

Weirdly, I seemed to see cloud for a greater distance on the ground than in the air. A setting of around 15,000 sq km seemed to be about the maximum visibility I could achieve, setting it higher seemed to make the cloud coverage below the aircraft more dense and resulted in killing the frame rate. In SkyMaxx v3 if I upped the coverage settings the clouds became thinner around the aircraft but extended much further.

I did try setting X-Planes visibility settings to max but this didn't seem to help.

MD80_3.jpg

MD80_7.jpg

MD80_8.jpg

There are a lot of things that affect how far the clouds are drawn - visibility, the cloud draw area setting, your altitude, whether you're entering or exiting another cloud layer, and even performance. If SMP detects that your framerates are too low, it will start to pull in the cloud draw distance to try and help. That might be what you're seeing. If your system can't handle our maximum draw distance for whatever reason, we dial it back automatically.

When using Real Weather Connector, also bear in mind that you could just be seeing the edge of a cloud system and there are in fact clear skies ahead.

In short - it's complicated, but we tested it extensively and I think it's working the way it should.