SkyMaxx 4 strange cloud perspective

IndiB

Hello.

I understand the need to turn a 2d graphic cloud towards the user as you fly past, but I've noticed some weird cloud movements while testing SkyMaxx v4.

Yesterday, I was flying out of some clouds and there looked to be a large towering cloud off to the left, it looked huge and several miles away, however, when I turned my head it swept across the front of the aircraft as though it was only a couple of inches from my eyeline. Shortly after that the HD clouds broke (the 4.0 bug) and I stuck to flying with fast clouds in dense particle mode.

I flew again tonight with the new v4.1 and while I didn't see anything as striking there were still some shifts that didn't look quite right, as though the cloud photo's were too large for the cloud puff. The effect seems to be lessened when setting Crisp clouds and 'Dense Particles' rather than 'HD Cloud Puffs'. The effect disappears altogether with 'Fast' clouds and any setting other than 'HD Cloud Puffs' (as you'd expect).

Are we likely to see more tuning in this area during the v4 run?

The individual particles in HD cloud puffs are larger, so the anomalies that can happen when you look at them from the wrong angles are worse than in sparse or dense particles, where the puffs are smaller. The idea was to trade off the puff size and some volumetric feel for the ability to have photographic cloud textures and higher performance, which a lot of FSX refugees have made pretty clear is what they want.

That said I do have some ideas on making what you're talking about less apparent.