CTD with SMP4 running

737NUT

Using real world weather, RWC 1.1, SMP4, and XP11pb2   KSBN to KIND, 20 miles from KIND X-Plane crashed. Tried 2 times, exact same result.  Shut Silverlining plugin and RWC plugin off via plugin manager, same flight, real world weather 12/18/16 approx 2300zulu default x-plane weather engine, no issues.   Is there a log file besides the one generated by x-plane that you will need?  To me it acted like it encountered an issue when starting to load KIND weather. unfortunately i lost the log file so will try again tomorrow.

I will say this, FPS was DOUBLE with SMP4!! Sweet!

Thanks,

Rob

We're not aware of any cases that would cause SMP to crash, but if you can provide us with your log.txt and METAR.rwx files if this happens again, we should be able to figure out what happened.

SMP/RWC does not load weather data for regions as you approach them; a fault there would result in SMP crashing as soon as you started your flight. So I think something else is going on.

Check your free RAM and VRAM in the SMP config screen too - perhaps you just ran out of memory due to the incoming scenery or weather being too much for your system to handle.

Your log says SMP didn't cause the crash, at least not directly. Are your VRAM and RAM measurements coming from our configuration panel?

It's consistent with what I'd expect to see from either a system that's running low on resources, or another plugin corrupting memory. You have several add-ons I don't recognize. Try disabling everything *but* SMP/RWC (including all that custom scenery, which seems to have some issues of its own) - does it run more reliably then?

Ok, Found it!  You were wrong and right in this situation.  First off, on your GUI I had 2.2G vram 11.5G sys ram,  No issues which i knew from the start  After pulling my hair out troubleshooting knowing this problem started after installing SMP4 and RWC 1.1,  I found it by luck and a little skill.  The Gizmo version you install with your software doesn't work in my system/combo,  Once I went back to Gizmo version 15.12.22.1106, It all worked good again without any errors.   Bummer part is i lost 15fps with the old Gizmo vs the new one.   I guess now I need to get with Ben and try and figure this out as i would like the increased performance. 

Thanks,

Rob

• 4 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, marpilot said:

Well , I had several CTD recently on xp 10.51 with SMP4 and I am now reverting to 3.3.2 to see the results.

Don't know if you're the same person who was describing something similar on Facebook yesterday, but his issue turned out to be a bad Internet connection. His ISP's DNS wasn't working, which was leading to the METAR information being download getting corrupted whenever weather updated. In his case, rebooting his PC cleared it up.

Can we see your log.txt following the crash? That would tell us if SMP is to blame.

I don't think it is; we have thousands of customers using SMP4 without issue. But you may have increased SMP 4's settings to the point that it's causing your sim to run out of memory or something - or it may be interacting with another add-on that is corrupting the memory used by SMP4.

Sorry, i lost that log, but also spend too much time (some 12 hrs) to find the solution to repeat the CTD.

I think I will stay with SMP 3.3.2 on XP10 and will be using SMP 4.01 on XP11.

Thank you for a better sky for X-plane :)

BTW: In the past FPS were far superior to default clouds - on XP11pb6 SMP4 seems to be 2-3 frames slower....

On 18/01/2017 at 6:15 PM, sundog said:

Can we see your log.txt following the crash? That would tell us if SMP is to blame.

I don't think it is; we have thousands of customers using SMP4 without issue. But you may have increased SMP 4's settings to the point that it's causing your sim to run out of memory or something - or it may be interacting with another add-on that is corrupting the memory used by SMP4.

here is one more, on xp11 

METAR.rwx

Edited by donoscar

20 hours ago, donoscar said:

here is one more, on xp11 

Log.txt

METAR.rwx

Your log does not indicate that SMP caused the crash. However, I do see some other potential problems:

- This sort of crash is consistent with running out of memory. I see you've got HD Mesh installed, and that can eat memory alive. Try removing it.

- There are many conflicts within your custom scenery that could be causing issues. You might want to try removing all custom scenery as a test, or starting over from a fresh install of XP11.

- You have several other third-party add-ons. Make sure you have the latest versions of any plugins and third party aircraft installed. I recall XPUIPC had a version out at one point that caused issues, for example - and something you installed includes it.

4 minutes ago, sundog said:

Your log does not indicate that SMP caused the crash. However, I do see some other potential problems:

- This sort of crash is consistent with running out of memory. I see you've got HD Mesh installed, and that can eat memory alive. Try removing it.

- There are many conflicts within your custom scenery that could be causing issues. You might want to try removing all custom scenery as a test, or starting over from a fresh install of XP11.

- You have several other third-party add-ons. Make sure you have the latest versions of any plugins and third party aircraft installed. I recall XPUIPC had a version out at one point that caused issues, for example - and something you installed includes it.

thanks for looking into it, I suspected smp as the crash happened after a metar update

i do however use 32gb of ram with 6gb vram on my 980Ti

i am aware of issues with sceneries... i will start over with clean sheet. it was no issue so far though

XPUIPC is up to date

• 2 weeks later...
On 18.01.2017 at 6:15 PM, sundog said:

Ok , here is the log....this time it crashed after 4 hrs online flying.

SMP 4.01 and XP 10.51.

Please take a look and help me flying with this upgrade :)

Log.txt

Your log does not indicate that SMP caused the crash (just because it's the last thing to write to your log doesn't mean it caused the crash - if it did, there would be a line at the end saying the crash was caused by Skymaxx Pro.)

You have a *lot* of custom scenery and add-ons installed, plus a third-party aircraft, and it could be anything. I suspect you're just pushing your system too hard from too many add-ons. If there are things you can remove, it may help.

1 hour ago, marpilot said:

Well, I also wrote above that with SMP 3.3.2 I have no problems.

To me SMP 4.01 is just unreliable :(

I reinstalled it looked OK for 2-3 flights then suddenly CTD...

Cheers

Im pretty sure if their was an issue with V4 we would be seeing more reports by now, it may be the extended draw distance or the new overcast finally pushing your system over the edge....

Just a shot in the dark^^, V4 does handle things more efficiently, id say try exploring the settings in our UI some along with the rendering settings inside x-plane....

You can reduce SMP's resource consumption further by using "fast" cloud puffs, disabling shadows, and setting the cloud/terrain blend to zero.

But I think re-evaluating all the add-ons and scenery you have installed, or lowering your rendering settings, would have a larger impact.