FPS hit

dscott3984

21 minutes ago, hamlet2k said:

@Cameron, is this fsp hit expected?

In all honesty, for the time being all bets for anything in X-Plane 11 are off. It is a moving target beyond control. SkyMaxx Pro v4 is fully compatible and advertised as such, but that does require Laminar to also hold their end of the bargain too, so to speak.

Performance tuning is still on Laminar's todo list for XP 11.

Otherwise (unless your system is already very constrained), no, an FPS is not expected. For all intents and purposes the clouds and code in SMP 4 is more efficient than 3.

I run a gaming machine dedicated only to X-Plane, and have tried vanilla XP 11 with no plugins and both an Nvidia 1080 and Titan X with it and I am less than impressed with performance of 11 straight out of the box. I know Laminar will get there though. We went through the exact same thing with the first few releases of XP 10.

A direct comparison of performance of SMP3 vs SMP4 is difficult to do. You need to ensure the weather conditions are identical, you're in the same version of X-Plane, and all of the settings in SMP are the same. Even then, there are some changes in SMP4 that might result in more clouds being created for a given set of weather conditions in order to produce more accurate results.

But if you can eliminate all of those variables, you should see that SMP4's performance is considerably higher than SMP3. Especially when comparing the new "HD puffs" overcast option to sparse or dense particles from SMP3.

If, however, your system is tight on VRAM, it may struggle with the higher-resolution textures included with SMP4. If you think this might be the case on your system, try changing SMP's "crisp" option to "fast" and see if that helps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, AVC said:

My frame rates drop to around 10fps whenever clouds are about with X-Plane 11. Really annoying!

Hit the "reset" button in SMP's configuration; it's possible you turned up the settings higher than your system can handle. If that doesn't help, post your log.txt and we'll be happy to try and isolate your problem in more detail. 10 FPS certainly isn't normal unless you're on a system that's below X-Plane's minimum system requirements, you've cranked up settings beyond what your system can handle, or you have more add-ons installed than your system can handle.